PDA

View Full Version : Because there IS a better way.

Agamemnon
10-31-2007, 12:23 AM
So as we all know we've had some trouble filling the server of late. However, I've noticed that at the same time we're trying to fill the server, there are TGer's on other servers who would probably come over if they knew we could get enough for NS. At the same time, there are undoubtedly people not even playing NS who would be if they knew there were enough people to get a game going on TG. Currently, if you're trying to seed the server, the only way to do it is to play co against bots for an hour or two, during which time you may not ever get enough people for a real game. As this represents a large time investment, I often just check the server list to see whether there are already people on TG, which doesn't do much to actually fill the server. I doubt I'm the only one who sees the server empty and usually decides not to join. So, what if there were a way you could express your willingness to play NS without spending an hour shooting bots? How much would you expect to pay for this quality... oh wait, wrong commercial.

But seriously, here it is. I've created a steam community group called "Tactical Gamer NS Waiting Room", the sole purpose of which is to give people a way to show they're available and willing to play NS if enough people are around. When the server is empty, just join this group's chat room, and if we get up to ten people there at any given time, we send a message to everyone currently in the chat room letting them know we have enough people for NS, at which point we all join the server, and go straight to NS without the intervening hours of co boredom. So, obviously this will only work if people are only in the chat room when they are both able to receive a steam message and willing to play NS, so please don't just be constantly idle there.

If there are any suggestions as to how to improve this system, or a better way to go about it, feel free to speak up, but I think this gives us a way to get around the initial barrier of small co games.

Yoshi MCF
10-31-2007, 01:24 AM
Great idea. I've joined the group and will try to remember to join the chat room.

Also, everyone, please feel free to friend me on Steam (sn: yoshimcf) and send me an IM whether or not I'm in the waiting room if you want to get a game going. I might be afk or busy but it's at least worth a shot.

thane
10-31-2007, 09:34 PM
Joined, curious to see how this works out!

tr0gd0r3
11-01-2007, 04:19 PM
New study researched by scientests.
If you don't join the steam community within a week, you MAY get cancer.
Some serious stuff.

Turbinator
11-01-2007, 04:24 PM
how do I join a community?

Agamemnon
11-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Go to the community tab in steam and search for any substring of the full name, for instance "NS waiting room", and then click on the appropriate group. The resulting screen should have a large orange 'join' button in the top right corner. After you've done that once, your community control panel will always have a link to it. So whenever the server is empty, you can just go to that group and click 'enter chat room' to indicate your willingness to play NS (no need to stay around and talk, this step is just so we don't bother people who are online but not interested in joining). Once there are enough people in the chat room, we send a message to everyone and join the server.

micr0c0sm
11-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Times like these make me wish valve didn't remove the 'invite to game' feature.

It was perfect for filling up servers quickly and it was simple. The only thing they could have done is add cross-game compatibility so you could save, switch games, and join a server all in one click.

Glad to see you putting the initiative to repopulate the server. Joining the community once I get my new pc.

Agamemnon
11-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Has anyone else been having trouble getting into the chat room? This is probably just another example of my computer's inability to get along with steam, but if this problem is widespread it could be a serious problem for this method. So, basically all I need to know is does anyone else frequently have the problem of being unable to get steam to launch the chat room window?

kormendi
11-03-2007, 02:05 AM
You must be connected to the steam friends network for the chat room links to work. If you're not connected, the links will simple do nothing.

Sometimes I have to restart steam to get it to reconnect to friends.

Donat
11-30-2007, 11:54 AM
This is a great idea in theory and i'd gladly join it if i wanted to play NS. But i think its been a 'failure' so far.

If people want to play NS they should join the server and not procrastinate about it in a chat channel with other NS people, hehe.

Mainly the dislike of it comes from that almost every night i get spammed invitations to this channel or whenever people are in it, if you could please stop sending me invites to the chat channel when i DON'T want to play at taht moment it would be great, i signed up for a way to get in touch with NS people if i want to play not for a Telemarketer for NS...

micr0c0sm
11-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Joining a chat is much less obtrusive than joining the server when you play the game in fullscreen mode. I like to be using my computer instead of hanging around on the server until a game starts, and alt+tabbing always gives issues (sound/video/syncing/colors).

Zephyr
12-05-2007, 02:24 PM
It's a game engine from 1997, put it in a window!

-Zephyr