PDA

View Full Version : Because everyone else was too lazy.

Maps and Atlases
11-20-2007, 04:21 PM
Machine, Nexus, and possibly Nancy need to be removed from map rotation. The server is rarely filling up as it is and when it switches to one of those maps the server just empties.

thane
11-21-2007, 01:50 AM
Done, nexus and machina should now never be in the rotation if I did it right. Nancy will require a full server to be switched to. On busy days feel free to request these two maps, I really do like them, and will try to cajole people into accepting a map change to them.

Server still seems to be running after doing a map change.

If further changes are needed we can reduced the min. on eclipse/veil/tanith.

Agamemnon
12-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Incidentally, it doesn't look like this change worked, as nexus is still in the rotation.

FireFly
12-06-2007, 05:42 PM
I actually like machina.... you guys are just lame :P Nancy is meh,... ok for the odd time, and nexus,,,, I will not comment for fear of violating young minds.

Eternaly_Lost
12-08-2007, 06:03 PM
I actually like machina.... you guys are just lame :P Nancy is meh,... ok for the odd time, and nexus,,,, I will not comment for fear of violating young minds.

Funny, how most people compain about nexus is more related to them not knowing the map, and therefore don't want to play it because they don't know it , and they don't play it because they don't know it.

Yea, confusing, but people really need to give the map a chance. I recall how rampage used to go, fairly well. But after we stopped playing it for months, and when on it once, it was a massive complaint.

Keep nexus in the rotation, we do have enough people who like it to play rounds on it, and the more people play, the better they learn the map, and the more they start to tolerate it. (just because it more complex then ns_tanith or ns_siege007 does not make it a bad map... )

Maps and Atlases
12-09-2007, 06:21 AM
The majority of people don't like it. Sorry. (Not to mention its a terrible huge map with obviously necessary ladders and elevators. It's the disneyworld map of NS, has a separate theme for each of its rooms.)

Regardless of what I think or what anyone else thinks, the server DOES empty out when it comes on. There is also a section where it goes through 3/4 unpopular maps. Somewhere around Nancy, nothing, hera, and altair, there should at least be some sort of popular map inserted such as veil/tanith/lost/eclipse/etc. I'd say put orbital in it, but sadly, its a server clearer as well.

JazzX
12-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Funny, how most people compain about nexus is more related to them not knowing the map, and therefore don't want to play it because they don't know it , and they don't play it because they don't know it.

I think in general this is a fair complaint, but I don't think that its the main cause here, at least not for many of the regulars who have raised objections to it. These are all very general observations that I'd be happy to expand upon (but it'd probably be better handled in its own thread):

1) The map is large: Even when taking a direct path it feels like it takes a very long time to go from Hive to Hive, or Marine Start to a Hive, especially as LA/HA Marines, Gorge and Onos. If we were playing 10v10 it'd probably be a lot more tollerable, as-is it feels like you spend a lot of time wandering around, not seeing another player.

2) The layout is excessively complicated: It isn't immediately obvious how to get from A to B, even if you have the minimap open. I've played probably two dozen rounds on the map, yet I still will frequently fail to reach the center hive when navigating by memory with glances at my minimap.

3) There are multiple dramatic height changes: As with a large size height changes are not very forgiving for classes that can't fly/climb on their own. It slows down player movement, and it makes judging the distance between two points much more difficult (as you typically don't have to factor in the z-axis when looking at the minimap).

Chiller
12-09-2007, 10:25 PM
You know TG gets going pretty well and has some great games and it does take a simple map change to get the server emptied out. Last night we had quite a few great games and I noticed the maps would change and we went through a lot of the not so popular maps and the games were not taken as seriously always or were as much fun.

I am curious if TG has considered adding the mod where at the end of the map it gives a list of 7 or 8 possible maps to change to and lets everyone vote then takes the top 2 and has everyone vote again to switch to that map. That way every time the map changed it would be to what the people on the server wanted? I think that would be great to see and could work very well to keep the server populated more often.

Just my 2 cents! I actaully got to play this weekend and had a great time! I left a computer at my parents to play again whenever i am there i don't have to load a system up to play i can just show up and play!!

Zephyr
12-11-2007, 01:46 PM
I have wondered why we haven't had as many votemaps as of late. That feature was always welcome, and gave people a feeling of a lot more control over their entertainment for the evening.

-Zephyr

Agamemnon
12-11-2007, 02:14 PM
I have wondered why we haven't had as many votemaps as of late. That feature was always welcome, and gave people a feeling of a lot more control over their entertainment for the evening.

-Zephyr

Probably because of the plugin that disables votemap? In case you missed it, we currently have a plugin that disables votemap once people have joined teams, and anytime an admin is present. Just don't ask me why we have this plugin, as I've never understood that...

lagarto
12-11-2007, 02:29 PM
That's so we are forced to play a diversity of maps. I remember Wyz saying that if you didn't like the actual map there's always other servers to play on. I'm not sure we can afford that kind of attitude nowadays when the server has trouble filling up, but whatever.

Zephyr
12-15-2007, 06:11 PM
I'm inclined to agree with a little less pessimism. I think that tweaking the server to be more conservative now could help out a little in the long run? I mean, it doesn't have to stay that way forever, just give it a little flexibility when server player count is low?

I also think the attitude could be improved in this thread, especially considering the title of this thread and the demeanor of several of the posts...

-Zephyr

H|tOk|r| bAttOuSa|
12-26-2007, 11:43 PM
Democracy never works gaddd >.>... votemap would be an excellent idea imo

I agree with atlases on the topic of bad maps, votemap should help alleviate the problem

Dead_Meat
12-31-2007, 09:24 AM
I also think the map vote could help
the other servers i still see populated regularly all have the votemap