PDA

View Full Version : Why two servers?

tr0gd0r3
11-26-2007, 08:11 PM
Seriously, I haven't seen a need for us to have two servers... Why not put the money to better things, or if anything, have one server on the east coast for europeans to play on?
Just... Two in the same spot seems like throwing money out the window.

And I know at one point two was needed, but, not within the past 6 months.

kormendi
11-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Both servers reside on the same physical hardware. Running two servers vs one makes no difference in terms of cost.

tr0gd0r3
11-26-2007, 11:15 PM
Let's turn it into a... god forbid... CO only server with constant reminders of our NS server...
This way rather than seeding an NS based server, we can seed in the CO server with plugins, then move into the other server if enough people are interested?
Just a thought.

Pokerface
11-27-2007, 02:59 PM
I've actually been mulling over some changes to server 2. This thread is a nice kick in the pants to get me moving in that direction finally.

thane
11-28-2007, 12:47 AM
Maybe we could experiment with changes that would make small NS games more interesting?

What variables can we change in regular NS? We seem to have lots of control of CO.

tr0gd0r3
11-29-2007, 12:42 AM
Another suggestion which might not appeal to many in this community... is a server with bots for NS play.
Level 9 bots isn't TOO bad, and it can get a game started as well as educate newer players...
I've played in games where Marines can be bots, and albeit, they're annoying and freaking idiotic, but it could also give a chance for newbies to try comming and get a general grasp of it, which in turn would have more people comm-ing when joining our other server...

But seriously, two servers that are identical is just a waste.

Also, if we had bots constantly in there, people would randomly join more frequently, see the posts about joining the community, and assit in the communities growth.

Other servers turn the majority of people (not all) away from NS due to lack of maturity, or just playing with *******s that discourage learning the game.

These people see what our community is all about and stop their gangster talk and try to get lurnd.

Donat
11-30-2007, 11:51 AM
Sure, were all not playing with both servers now and the only way I could see it being changed (Since its on the same box and doesn't effect price or cost) but not to allow as a learning center for poor noobs who talk trash and play CO 24/7...

We normaly accept people anyway and assist them in learning, no reason to swap a server to this....

But hey, no ones using the 2ndary servers much and i'm very busy with real life anyway to use them much myself (mainly i go in when there are people when i'm looking to play a game)

Btw, can some one tell the dang people who run the NS chat waitroom for TG to get ves or whoever keeps spamming me messages to join the chat to stop? Its getting irritating to click the button and it feels like i signed up for a magazine subscription.

micr0c0sm
11-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Ok poker, man up and install the investor demo of ns2 on server 2 so we can fill it up quick.

tr0gd0r3
12-01-2007, 09:21 PM
whats the investor demo of ns2?

FooKer
12-02-2007, 01:44 AM
whats the investor demo of ns2?

He means this below, check it out.

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/news/2007/11/12th_podcast

They keep an update for how the development is going with info just about every weekish