PDA

View Full Version : Frequent server crashes

Agamemnon
12-05-2007, 03:15 AM
So, the server crashed tonight around 11:10 PST while full, and also crashed sunday evening while full. With the amount of difficulty we've been having getting people on the server, this is a complication we do not need. Is there any way to find out what's causing this and fix it?

Pokerface
12-05-2007, 10:35 AM
There very well may be. I'll get to checking logs 'n' stuff.

The server is telling me that the OS was updated, requiring restart; that might at the heart of last night's crash... more to come though as I look into it.

Pokerface
12-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Wow. Sucker died in the middle of a log entry... this is the whole last line:
L 12/05/2007 - 01:08:58: "HUA<496><STEAM_X:X:XXXXXX><marine1team>" tri

Pokerface
12-05-2007, 10:46 AM
There very well may be. I'll get to checking logs 'n' stuff.

The server is telling me that the OS was updated, requiring restart; that might at the heart of last night's crash... more to come though as I look into it.
This has been verified; an OS update is what killed it last night.

Agamemnon
12-05-2007, 01:51 PM
How often does that occur? Is there any way to make it happen overnight or in the morning rather than during prime hours? I'm assuming it wouldn't need to do that twice in three days, so that probably wasn't the cause of the sunday crash (which only brought down server #1, with server #2 experiencing excessive server lag for about an hour afterwards).

Pokerface
12-05-2007, 09:56 PM
How often does that occur? Is there any way to make it happen overnight or in the morning rather than during prime hours? I'm assuming it wouldn't need to do that twice in three days, so that probably wasn't the cause of the sunday crash (which only brought down server #1, with server #2 experiencing excessive server lag for about an hour afterwards).
I haven't figured out the earlier crash; I don't THINK it was an OS-deal, though.

Gotta remember, this WAS overnight for the server.

Eternaly_Lost
12-08-2007, 06:58 PM
I haven't figured out the earlier crash; I don't THINK it was an OS-deal, though.

Gotta remember, this WAS overnight for the server.

I think what aga was trying to say was to do server updates during the day, (such as around 10 am) When the server is at it lowest player count. Not at 10 PM just when the server is starting/is competently full and running games.

What would be best if the server looked to see if any one was playing, and if so then delay updating unless an admin forces it. That way, if for some reason everyone gets on at 9 am, and reboot is set for 10, it would not kill the server.

Agamemnon
12-09-2007, 06:18 PM
I think what aga was trying to say was to do server updates during the day, (such as around 10 am) When the server is at it lowest player count. Not at 10 PM just when the server is starting/is competently full and running games.

As opposed to those times when the server is incompetently full. Or perhaps full of incompetence? Actually that might be a good time to crash...

Pokerface
12-10-2007, 11:55 AM
if onServer(Agamemnon): crash();

Agamemnon
12-14-2007, 01:33 AM
Had yet another server crash tonight at 8:00 pm PST at the end of an 8v8 on caged. Server 2 seemed unaffected, while server 1 is still down as of 9:30 pm.

thane
12-14-2007, 02:28 AM
Yeap, went down at 8pm PST, and for some reason I couldn't get back in, but it seems other were able to get in though?

Agamemnon
12-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Yeap, went down at 8pm PST, and for some reason I couldn't get back in, but it seems other were able to get in though?

Not back in to server 1, half of us went over to server 2, but were unable to get back up to a full server.

Pokerface
12-14-2007, 03:49 PM
I'll have to beat Wyz with a stick, but I'll also need to find the time to do it. Stupid job hunt.

This is the second time S1 has crashed, but S2 was unaffected, yes?

Agamemnon
12-14-2007, 06:22 PM
This time server two was unaffected, but the last time server one crashed by itself, server two was experiencing an unplayable amount of server lag.

Dr. Pepper PhD.
12-14-2007, 06:28 PM
I vote we require wyz to play a minimum of 15 hours a week to make up for the crashes

Agamemnon
12-16-2007, 03:08 AM
Yet another server crash, this one at 11 PST 12/15 with a full server on ns_nancy. Seems to have taken down both servers simultaneously.

Pokerface
12-16-2007, 03:11 AM
'Nother dadgum update. I'm going to talk to Apo to see what can be done with regard to the hosting and its need to apply patches.

ChopStick
12-20-2007, 01:05 AM
There is another server issue that has been popping up the past few days: server lag. From time to time, the server will randomly start lagging; by this I mean that everyones ping spikes to ~500 ms and teleporting occurs. I don't really have any additional information other than to say their will be a cluster of these "spikes" and then nothing for a while. I didn't write down any times, but if a hosting issue is being looked at, this might affect it...

Pokerface
12-20-2007, 03:46 PM
/grumble

I hate that we've not tweaked things in forever and all of a sudden have issues. It's one thing when Wyz accidentally deletes the HLDS folder -- we have a good explanation then -- but this stuff is just vexing.

Turbinator
12-22-2007, 01:18 PM
Wow. Sucker died in the middle of a log entry... this is the whole last line:
L 12/05/2007 - 01:08:58: "HUA<496><STEAM_X:X:XXXXXX><marine1team>" tri

lol HUA crashed the server

Kerostasis
12-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Crashed again last night. Full server around 9PM Central, game ended, crash on map switch -- it came back up again within probably 20 seconds, but not everyone rejoined and I don't think we got back to full server again that night.

Note however that my memory is foggy after waiting an entire day to post this, so I could be leaving out critical details. I can't be completely sure it wasn't just a STEAM hiccup.

Quick and Easy
01-04-2008, 02:48 AM
We seem to have discovered the cause of the random lag spikes.

We were playing on ns_lost around midnight eastern, and somebody noticed that every time the commander typed something, the server would spike. After a couple of dead lifeforms, it was confirmed.

I don't know if this would also account for the server crashing, but it would seem to make sense with the "random" spiking since comms on TG don't type often.

Donat
01-04-2008, 08:45 AM
An interestig thought. Didn't we do an update that would make the commander text change color? Perhaps thats effecting it.

Dead_Meat
01-04-2008, 03:19 PM
so when quick goes fade have the comm start typing

woot new strat

lagarto
01-04-2008, 03:54 PM
That bug is different from the random lag spikes. This commander typing bug doesn't affect anyone's ping, it just pauses the server for like half a second. Sort of like a delay function is executed in the server. The random lag spikes made the server feel like Jigglypuff's, with everyone's ping going up to 150-250 for a while. And btw, I haven't seen that happen for a while now.

Back into the commander typing bug, I've seen it happen twice, and both times were on ns_lost. I suspect it's something to do with the plugin to make the comm's text pink, and probably the map, too, since it hasn't happened on other maps.

Quick and Easy
01-04-2008, 07:29 PM
so when quick goes fade have the comm start typing

woot new strat

lol

Well, that strat worked on my onos last night.

But what lagarto said makes sense, so it might just be a map specific thing.

FireFly
01-04-2008, 07:53 PM
its happened on viel with hassan as com, and other maps...