PDA

View Full Version : WWII Online?

peardog
03-30-2008, 11:35 AM
You know.. I just found out that this MMORPG (?) WWII online is still around and kicking.. I am in the process of seeing if they have upgraded it or made anything a bit cleaner since introduction , what 4 years ago +..? there is the mandatory 14 day freebie...
Anyone else still paying this??

Bernout
03-30-2008, 12:25 PM
You know.. I just found out that this MMORPG (?) WWII online is still around and kicking.. I am in the process of seeing if they have upgraded it or made anything a bit cleaner since introduction , what 4 years ago +..? there is the mandatory 14 day freebie...
Anyone else still paying this??

Oh man...I spent 2 1/2 years playing that game when it first came out. ;) I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least a couple of hardcore sim type people still playing it here at TG.

Not sure I'd classify it as strategy however...definitely in the FPS camp.

Bernout

Gambit7
03-30-2008, 02:24 PM
IMO still one of the best MMOs over made. Their failing is not changing the gamespace like originally planned. They're STILL using the same old European theatre with largely the same old weapons since release.

In reality, WWIIO is all that TG is about... but, like I said... the gamespace gets redundant, alongside the outdated graphics.

If they were to port the game to a newer more easily expandable game engine it'd easily be one of the best games ever made.

Bernout
03-30-2008, 04:23 PM
IMO still one of the best MMOs over made. Their failing is not changing the gamespace like originally planned. They're STILL using the same old European theatre with largely the same old weapons since release.

In reality, WWIIO is all that TG is about... but, like I said... the gamespace gets redundant, alongside the outdated graphics.

If they were to port the game to a newer more easily expandable game engine it'd easily be one of the best games ever made.

Well, their biggest problem was being on the leading edge and having to deal with all the technical and game play issues associated with an MMO, especially one where there is only a single 24/7 server. I can still remember being really frustrated at work while I watched the European contingent, who loved to play as Germans, walk across the map with a 70/30 population advantage. ;)

Now granted it has been a while since I popped back in game to see what changed but they have definitely been adapting. The last time I was in they had an area of operation concept defined which focused the action more in a frontline type concept and had introduced mobile spawning. But still, for me personally, I found the game play in Planetside, which is closer to BF2, to be more appealing. I love having a minimap to see where my squaddies are as well as being able to spawn in on a SL. Oh ya, not to mention an actual squad and platoon C&C set up. :)

It seems to me they would have to address that in addition to the points you mentioned in order for the game to get any additional traction. Of course to introduce a new theater and game engine would require a serious influx of cash so I doubt that will ever happen.

Bernout

peardog
03-30-2008, 07:18 PM
It's kinda a Catch-22 I guess...no new engine = no new customer Influx = no new money = no new engine.. etc.. What I did find in my short trip back.. is that the customer base seems to be very helpful... and is probably an older crowd. I mean who can stand to cross a river when it takes 10 minutes but an older gamer.. eh? But as I was playing today, taking a German base/outpost with 3 other brits and two tanks.. I did think.. boy... this could have been a great TG Game..

How cool would this be with say the ARMED ASSAULT engine?? Or how about a persistant Armed Assault that does something similar? Pretty friken cool..

peardog
03-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Oh..another complaint... the $14.99 a month fee... Kinda steep for a limited Engine, limited servers etc.. I know it's low player base can't allow a lower fee, but for $6.99 a month it would be a great deal. otherwise it's getting into the Biggie MMO range..that it can't really stand up to.. IMHO..

Dilly
09-11-2008, 11:03 AM
I played that game when it came out, it said you needed 64 mb minimum of ram, I upgraded to 128 and it barely helped. I thought the game was sick, the realism of the tank battles, the shifting of gears and the ability to multi man a tank or plane were super cool features lacking in a lot of games today. The thing that sucked was taking the half hour to drive somewhere then dying within seconds because of lag. I think the most kills I got was 2 because the lag was so bad and the load times were the worst I ever played on a game. Took like 5 minutes for the game to load up, then like 2-3 minutes for me to log into the world each time I died.

Gambit7
09-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Oh..another complaint... the $14.99 a month fee... Kinda steep for a limited Engine, limited servers etc.. I know it's low player base can't allow a lower fee, but for $6.99 a month it would be a great deal. otherwise it's getting into the Biggie MMO range..that it can't really stand up to.. IMHO..

Uhh, there's only one server and the community is pretty tight. They actually have a yearly convention 100s of people go to. The Devs are right there with the players too in-game.

I played that game when it came out, it said you needed 64 mb minimum of ram, I upgraded to 128 and it barely helped. I thought the game was sick, the realism of the tank battles, the shifting of gears and the ability to multi man a tank or plane were super cool features lacking in a lot of games today. The thing that sucked was taking the half hour to drive somewhere then dying within seconds because of lag. I think the most kills I got was 2 because the lag was so bad and the load times were the worst I ever played on a game. Took like 5 minutes for the game to load up, then like 2-3 minutes for me to log into the world each time I died.

Game is nothing like this even a few years ago. You need a lot more RAM and load times are much better. They also changed the supply rules a bit so you can no longer resup. equipment from a certain distance from the front line (I'm not sure about this now though). My squad used to spend hours just doing this during long engagements... sometimes even to just pre-plan for an engagement the next day. Problem is, the enemy sometimes knew what we were doing and it wasnt as simple as "drive for 30 mins to resupply." You'd have to avoid air patrols. Was quite exhilerating many times.

Anyways, WW2O has always been a game I've thought about getting back into. I'm just sick of the w. euro theatre.