PDA

View Full Version : NS development podcasts

Wyzcrak
04-10-2008, 12:11 AM
No time to link atm, but head over to UWE's site and listen to these if you haven't.

They're nothing official really, and you're folly to not know that much of what they say about NS2's design will likely change substantially before the game is ever released (and they acknowledge that along the way).

But the content is interesting enough to justify the time it takes to listen to the podcasts.

The idea I heard them talking about that most got my attention: squad-based spawning (ala BF2). Fun to listen to, especially without the baggage that comes along with foolishly thinking that anything they say is guaranteed to actually happen later.

kormendi
04-10-2008, 12:44 PM
No time to write several paragraphs atm, but here's a link to the website.
http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/

Donat
04-10-2008, 01:08 PM
The podcasts as of late have not really been focusing on the game toooo much. They've been roaming about looking for appartment space, the last one i can think of about talking about the game itself was how they planned to change the hive. I'm sure we can expect to see more stuff soon thou.

Wyzcrak
04-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Thanks, korm.

I've heard talk (it's all talk until it happens, but.....) of squads that form automatically, players that spawn on/with squads (instead of portals), hives that can be placed anywhere on any map, commander cameras that zoom automatically based on map locations, and alien portals (tunnels under the map created during games at the players' discretion), among other interesting ideas.

Also, they've secured funding. Exciting.

kormendi
04-10-2008, 11:12 PM
Also, they've secured funding. Exciting.

Indeed. Probably the most important bit of info to come out of the podcasts.

Wyzcrak
04-12-2008, 01:41 PM
They mentioned in the podcasts that their goal (FWIW) is to release NS2 before half of their venture capital is exhausted. I don't know how to interpret that other than: a) they anticipate the capital lasting several years or b) the release of NS2 will come sooner than I anticipated if they meet their goal.

micr0c0sm
04-13-2008, 08:06 PM
Its hella cool to hear the transformation of a few indie game developers into successful (tbs) commercial entity.