PDA

View Full Version : Need help!

dont ban me[R]
04-19-2008, 10:38 AM
My NS runs really slow and choppy, the admins before had helped me with the rates and it worked better until I ran the game again and was logging between 5 and 7 frames. Im just going to list everything I have even though I doubt hardware is the problem and if anyone knows some tricks please Im open.

First of all I have Vista, but not for long, any settings changes needed for this OS? Interweb connection, Cable over gigabit router, wired. 8 gb ram. 9800gx2 on graphics.

This seems like a fun game too, Ill just play Crysis on max graphics until NS is fixed :D

blu.knight
04-19-2008, 12:28 PM
;974542']My NS runs really slow and choppy, the admins before had helped me with the rates and it worked better until I ran the game again and was logging between 5 and 7 frames. Im just going to list everything I have even though I doubt hardware is the problem and if anyone knows some tricks please Im open.

First of all I have Vista, but not for long, any settings changes needed for this OS? Interweb connection, Cable over gigabit router, wired. 8 gb ram. 9800gx2 on graphics.

This seems like a fun game too, Ill just play Crysis on max graphics until NS is fixed :D

If I had the power I would be so tempted to ban you.

As to your post, I don't have the faintest idea. If you could run Crysis why wouldn't you be able to run a hl mod? ... Probably Vista's fault.

ImAWuss
04-19-2008, 05:21 PM
Sounds like a hardware conflict. There's no reason at all why you should be getting crappy fps like that. Do all of your HL1 mods run like this, or just NS?

dont ban me[R]
04-19-2008, 06:51 PM
The only half life mod I have is NS, should I try
running something else an see what I get? Any
suggestions?

ImAWuss
04-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Just try running HL1 in general.

dont ban me[R]
04-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Half life has average 70 fps. Is there a command in NS
that limits fps or internet in/out, something like that?
Ready to waste a good Saturday night alone on a
computer, hope to see you guys on!

Sirusblk
04-19-2008, 11:09 PM
The default max fps in Half Life games is 70 fps. Try a fresh install of NS, load up a local map and don't join a server and see what you get. If it's only when you conect to the server we know it's your internet connection.

Do you have a firewall preventing NS from running properly? Sometimes they can cause just overload your RAM trying to stop a program.

Honestly 8 gigs? Are you nuts?! I've got 2

dont ban me[R]
04-20-2008, 11:50 AM
With a fresh install of NS offline the fps changes so fast
but it looks like between 80 and 90. Online it drops to
about 15 to 20. I never use Firewalls either.

Yes I got 8 gigs, I dont want to upgrade my computer
again for some time, other than XP.

DrunkenPirate
04-20-2008, 12:24 PM
You never use firewalls?
That rings alarm bells on it's own...

ImAWuss
04-20-2008, 03:54 PM
You never use firewalls?
That rings alarm bells on it's own...
If never use firewalls he means because he's behind a router, then he's fine.

Network lag would not affect his display FPS. The only thing that I could recommend to you would be to keep your GPU drivers up to date. Post your hardware details here too, maybe someone else on the interweb is having the same problem and they might chime in.

Sirusblk
04-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Network lag would not affect his display FPS.
I mean software firewall, in trying to stop your program it can easily choke your RAM in the process.

dont ban me[R]
04-20-2008, 09:51 PM
I just got XP running and will try to re-install NS and see what I get.

I did post hardware Wuss, its above and theres no way its at fault.

Sirusblk
04-21-2008, 04:07 AM
;975462']I just got XP running and will try to re-install NS and see what I get.

I did post hardware Wuss, its above and theres no way its at fault.
What about processor?

lush
04-21-2008, 07:36 PM
If you have the same trouble with XP. Try switchin between opengl and directx drivers in NS. Generally directx doesn't run as smoothly for hl1, but you shouldn't notice a difference with your system, and there might be some weird driver conflict.

If not that, are you sure your not running a software firewall? If you have nvidia chipset mobo, the chipset drivers ask to install the network access mgr(/firewall) which has serious conflicts with most steam games.

It seems clear that it is related to your network connection somehow, since you don't have the problem when you run it offline. If you have multiple NICs, try the other one, just to see if it makes a difference, and kill any other process that might use the network to see what might be interfering.

Or maybe you just have too much ram, and NS is having multiple orgasms.

ImAWuss
04-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Or maybe you just have too much ram, and NS is having multiple orgasms.

As Mr Pachino says, "Who-ahhhh" :row__523:

dont ban me[R]
04-24-2008, 03:49 PM
I got XP running, NS works perfectly, a solid 60 fps
which I'm assuming is what XP supports. Everything
to so much faster and smoother. Buy XP before they
stop selling it this summer!

Kerostasis
04-24-2008, 09:50 PM
NS supports up to 100 fps, but 60 is good enough to play the game well. Enjoy your alien hunting!

ImAWuss
04-25-2008, 10:09 PM
Don't forget that you're FPS is directly affected by the refresh rate on your monitor if you are using vsync (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vsync). This is to avoid page or screen tearing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_tearing).

komodor
04-27-2008, 10:52 AM
try to turn off hardware sound acceleration, i had this problem and hardware sound off fixed it (on XP)