PDA

View Full Version : Empire total war!

Disciple
05-27-2008, 06:15 AM
http://www.sega.co.uk/games/?g=238&v=696

Just a little video that I found interesting, I love the idea that our troops will be fighting more realisticaly on the battlefield than ever before.

So I was just wondering if anyone else here at TG will be looking forward to the release of E:TW ? I can't wait personaly, if any of you guys have found any other interesting tib-bits please share. I had a great review in my last months PC-Gamer that had screen shots of the tremendous land battles. There were also hints in the magazine that surgested our favorite loverable scoundrel Sean Bean (from the Sharp Series) would be doing a voice over for some of the troops. Anyone hoping it's for the 95th rifles lol?

I'd love to get an online multiplayer campaign going with some TG'ers if they enable that this time around.

Gill
07-16-2008, 12:59 AM
Hehe, that'd be a nice little Easter Egg is Richard Sharpe (Lt. Col. or otherwise) turned up somewhere in the game.

Anyway, yes... most definitely interested in this game. Unforunately, no info to share.

FBmantis
08-14-2008, 01:30 AM
Actual gameplay of naval battles

http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/958390/empire-total-war/videos/ETW_081208.html

Magnum50
09-26-2008, 09:14 AM
Check out this land battle video, then after-wards the Sea battle video...

http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/958390/empire-total-war/videos/ETWLandTrailer_092408.html

Now this looks like a must have for strategy fans.

IMO

UnDeaD
09-27-2008, 11:26 AM
It's going to be pure awesomeness.

Jeepo
09-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Cant wait, i own every total war game since Shogun, its an all time favourite of mine, and i cant bloody wait! Multiplayer should be good again!

Googol
09-30-2008, 01:44 PM
Can't wait for this either, It should be fun to use completely new strategies and tactics.

FBmantis
02-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Demo is out - check steam.

amu107.9
02-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Demo is out - check steam.
Yes! Hey I can download it here at work save it, copy to a HDD and install it at home right?

Gambit7
02-20-2009, 08:37 PM
I've got a channel up now in TS... DLing as we speak!
Oh man, I've been waiting for this game for years!
If it sux though, I'll be buying DoW2.

UnDeaD
02-21-2009, 12:05 AM
I only played first tutorial, its frickin' sweet. The naval battles are going to crazy as hell.

Gambit7
02-21-2009, 12:22 AM
For some dumb reason there's no multiplayer in the demo :(

whistler
02-21-2009, 07:36 PM
I'm looking forward to this one.

UnDeaD
02-21-2009, 07:40 PM
For some dumb reason there's no multiplayer in the demo :(

I was a bit disappointed in it only being SP demo. I think MP will be great though. Just like it is in Rome, and Medieval II, hopefully the interface is more friendly this time around though.

Gambit7
02-21-2009, 10:09 PM
I was a bit disappointed in it only being SP demo. I think MP will be great though. Just like it is in Rome, and Medieval II, hopefully the interface is more friendly this time around though.

The interface is as friendly as you want it to be. You can use the usual Total War interface or customize your own (control-wise). I found the TW-style interface a bit slow and clunky though, so I'll have to play with it of course. The graphical UI seemed easier to me than Rome's, simpler really... but the soldier cards could be a bit larger so they're easier to read the stats.

The other thing I didnt understand was they didnt show ANY of the empire-building/strategy portions of the game in the demo... i.e. the "Civ4" style parts of the game. The whole point of this Total War version was to blend the 3 elements (building, strat and tactics) perfectly in a MP setting. And they didnt put that in the demo... weird

The only thing truly different was the ship combat (which was just frakkin AWESOME). I'd say the ship combat is just as good as PotBS minus the boarding party. You can board in Total War, but it requires nothing but a button push, whereas in PotBS it's a minigame. The TW game engine will have the benefit of being able to handle large fleets though, which should be an awesome sight to behold.

I was left wanting with this demo, but at least I got a very small taste.

WaterIsPoison
02-22-2009, 02:26 AM
I've never played a Total War game before and just picked up the demo. Let's just say I was blown away.

Gambit7
02-22-2009, 04:23 AM
The demo doesnt even really scratch the surface. You gotta realize you have the ability to control probably well over 1000 units onscreen at a time. They've actually used the TW engine to re-enact historical battles for the History Channel. Ever seen those strat. CGI battles on TV? That's Total War.

One thing I like about this version is that they're using Steam and a more robust tourney and ladder arrangement along with more control over matches. That was lacking in Rome.

The real bread and butter is gonna be the coop campaign and vs. campaign. That's the reason they had to delay launch actually. Well worth the wait if they pull it off, because they will have done what no other game has. Only strat. game that comes close is Sins of a Solar Empire (and that's a longshot).

Another thing the demo really didnt get into was the tactical elements. You were kinda left to figure that out on your own. Stuff like formations, lines, terrain (dis)advantage, unit types, wheeling around a flank, officer morale support, regrouping, and on and on. Not even including the naval elements, which is like a whole 'nuther game really.

It's really a pretty monumental game release. It's been awhile since a total war game. And this will be the 3rd using the newer Total War engine. I didnt play Medieval II because they didnt put in coop or MP campaigns. Now that it's in, I will be giving my life back to Total War like I did when Rome came out. (I never lost a war in Rome btw) :)

Hopefully I can get my skillz back because this time there's more actual community player advancement. Dont forget you'll have a record, ranking, awards, and additional units rewarded to you if you're victorious. I guess it'll be kinda like the BF series, only a turn-based RTS.

viper1986
02-22-2009, 10:29 AM
i loved the naval portion of the demo but the land mission was kinda boring. i like to dictate the mission position, which is why i never played the historical battles.

when i get the full version, i might just skip the land skirmishes and play only the naval skirmishes. I felt bad for the AI when i got it confused and it bunched up all it's ships and i sailed circles around them and sank them all without losing one ship.

Gambit7
02-22-2009, 10:46 PM
i loved the naval portion of the demo but the land mission was kinda boring. i like to dictate the mission position, which is why i never played the historical battles.

when i get the full version, i might just skip the land skirmishes and play only the naval skirmishes. I felt bad for the AI when i got it confused and it bunched up all it's ships and i sailed circles around them and sank them all without losing one ship.

Be careful with skipping skirmishes. The "die rolls" are much less in your favor when you do that... even if you've got better odds.

As for mission position, that's dictated by the strategic turn-based portion. Picking favorable terrain is part of the fun; then once picked, deploying in the right place. I liked to play Barbarians in Rome and always force the computer to engage me in the trees where I had advantage.

On another note:
Anyone else think this game might be doable for a Clan of some sort? The Steam matchmaking should allow a clan tag in front of all screenames. So it's conceivable we could get something going similar to how we had with Sins.

I've talked to a few folk about starting/organizing some kind of "RTS" group to try and consolidate all of the strat/RTS titles people play here. This would make it easier to link up in whichever game people are currently playing (Civ, Sins, SupCom, DoW, Empire, etc.). Organized under one forum and one main TS channel it'd be pretty neat. Individually these games dont have enough following to do this, but taken as a whole they do. A few have competitive elements (like Sins, supcom, and Empire) so guild uniformity is key to climbing up the ladders and gaining recognition for TG.

browna3
02-23-2009, 11:25 AM
ok im going to be the first one to say i didnt like it, i played the demo and tbh i found it boring, yes the naval battles were good, but it just didnt do it for me. I may buy the full game in a year or so when its gone down in price but for the time being i think im going to leave this one which is a shame as i have enjoyed all the previoys total war games. Feel free to try and change my mind tho.

Gambit7
02-23-2009, 02:39 PM
ok im going to be the first one to say i didnt like it, i played the demo and tbh i found it boring, yes the naval battles were good, but it just didnt do it for me. I may buy the full game in a year or so when its gone down in price but for the time being i think im going to leave this one which is a shame as i have enjoyed all the previoys total war games. Feel free to try and change my mind tho.

You werent the 1st one to say you didnt like it. :)
I said the demo frankly sucked... whoever their marketing guy is should be shot. They really did a poor job of presenting the game. You really only got a microscopic taste of it.

That being said, I've been grappling with the differences between DoW2 and TW. If you're the FPS instant-gratification type than DOW2 is a great entry into RTS for you. TW takes more planning, more strat, and patience many times. The funness is everpresent in DoW2, but the replayability is probably lacking. TW (this version) is more of a long marriage of gaming; more similar to Civ.

I'm not afraid to say it; just torrent the game when it comes out so you can at least get a better taste of it. Then buy a real copy so you can play it for real (MP, etc.) If their demo didnt suck so hard I wouldnt say this, but it does... so torrent away.

edit:
To clarify my "piracy" promotion. Total War games are copyable in the sense you're allowed to do-so if playing an MP game on LAN. I guess the best way to sample the game would be to do it that way. The other way is to copy a friend's disc and play only the single-player portion, as you wont have access to the MP portion w/o a retail key. Either way, it's the same as torrenting... one is DLing, one is borrowing. In the end, it sells more copies than it steals. (which the devs know already) In any case, you couldnt completely pirate the game if you tried. Which is good.

browna3
02-24-2009, 01:19 AM
musta missed ur critique on the demo

Disciple
02-24-2009, 03:05 PM
I was not all that impressed by the demo either, however i have never really enjoyed the battles all that much, I do however love the campaign map and will play it for hours and hour and hours many times through as different teams while auto resolving all but the smallest of fights where I can easily manage everything.

I very much enjoy watching the battles and that is why I am rubbish at them because I get caught up watching one unit fight another that I forget the rest of the units need orders.

I hope they have an auto resolve that I can watch so two Ai's just go at with the troops for both sides and determine the winner all the same.

Anyway back to my point i will buy this game because I love the camapigns and will love this aswell I am sure.

westyfield
02-24-2009, 04:27 PM
I really want to get this game, the demo was fun but lacking in some areas. I really, really suck at land battles (this is the first TW game I've played except for Medieval 1, which I played for about a day), and I didn't like the way I was simply told how to order units around, without being told what the more specific things meant.
Naval combat is brilliant, could watch my guys broadside their ships all day!
Land combat looks fun, but I need a more in-depth tutorial to understand how to win.

Gambit7
02-24-2009, 04:54 PM
This is one of those games where it helps to have someone coach you (as I did in Rome: Total War). I simply befriended the most skilled folks I could find and learned from them. Aside from that, it was a lot of trial and error using the scenario builder.

It looks like Empire is gonna be a lot like the other games, where they just kinda throw you to the wolves to discover the game on your own. Which for some is cool and others can be frustrating.

TactiKill Jay
03-01-2009, 09:05 PM
The great aspect about TW, IMO at least, is the turned based campaign, and honestly I'm not expecting my opinion to change on that. If they've improved that aspect then I'm going to love this game. TW never came off as a solid MP game or a game to get into simply for the battles alone. It's not so much that I've found the battles boring, I thought the demo was much more exciting than the old ones, the downfall is that I already noticed a lot of annoying bugs that could heart the realism of the game once on the battlefield.

I'm still buying it though, I wonder if I'll be able to download it from steam at midnight...

Scattershot
03-01-2009, 10:54 PM
This looks to be a fun game. The land battles remind me of Sid Meir's Gettysburg.

Gambit7
03-02-2009, 12:56 AM
Update:
The MP Campaign (coop and vs.) feature that caused the release delay will be patched in after release (when, I dont know). The game wont release with an MP Campaign unfortunately, but of course you'll be able to skirmish in MP with Steam support.

The 1st MP patch will be a 2 player beta release hopefully soon after launch. The client has the capability, it's just not turned on right now... hence the reason there was no hint of it in the demo or even on the website anymore (they've taken the advertising for that feature down). :(

Kinda sad, they better get that feature up soon. I'm kinda pissed it's not available as I've already pre-ordered.

westyfield
03-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Well, this game arrived today. I opened the box, took out the disc and campaign map, gave myself a papercut and started installing. How many other TGers are getting this game?

Gambit7
03-04-2009, 01:29 PM
My steam DL is at 70%

TactiKill Jay
03-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Is it just me or is this game a difficult one to run? Large naval battles drag and even the land battles aren't as smooth as I would expect them to be. I'm on a quad core with the 8800 GTS (G92), and 2gigs of DDR3. I know that stuff isn't top of the line anymore, but I just put this system together this past summer so I definitely wasn't expecting to run into issues running games so soon. My video settings aren't even maxed out either.

Gambit7
03-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Is it just me or is this game a difficult one to run? Large naval battles drag and even the land battles aren't as smooth as I would expect them to be. I'm on a quad core with the 8800 GTS (G92), and 2gigs of DDR3. I know that stuff isn't top of the line anymore, but I just put this system together this past summer so I definitely wasn't expecting to run into issues running games so soon. My video settings aren't even maxed out either.

Runs beautiful on my system.
core 2 duo e6600 OCed to 3.4GHz 4gb of ram and an 8800GTX.

Defrag your drive, get more RAM (if you're running Vista, 2GB isnt enough), and lower your settings.

machowner
03-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Update:
The MP Campaign (coop and vs.) feature that caused the release delay will be patched in after release (when, I dont know). The game wont release with an MP Campaign unfortunately, but of course you'll be able to skirmish in MP with Steam support.

The 1st MP patch will be a 2 player beta release hopefully soon after launch. The client has the capability, it's just not turned on right now... hence the reason there was no hint of it in the demo or even on the website anymore (they've taken the advertising for that feature down). :(

Kinda sad, they better get that feature up soon. I'm kinda pissed it's not available as I've already pre-ordered.
hmm, that doesn't sound good. Reminds me of in-game voip for frontlines, advertised, then it was supposed to be patched, I don't think it ever made it in.

what settings are you running gambit, the default ones or custom?

johnflenaly
03-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Awsome game so far loving the campaign, did a skirmish with ghambit yesterday and got creamed, he would have been able to pull it back but dinner called. Can't wait for the MP campaign to come in, If anyone would like to join me I'll be in the TS channel for this game tonight and we can get some skirmishes going.

amu107.9
03-05-2009, 10:52 AM
You all are killing me!
Now I have to go and buy it. Good thing all the bills are paid for this month.

Did you all buy the regular game or did you buy the special edition package as well?

Gambit7
03-05-2009, 12:31 PM
This is the best Total War by far, even though they havent even patched in the coop campaign yet.

Gamespy gave it 5 stars (which is stupid rare for an RTS):
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/empire-total-war/959077p1.html

What I like about it is:
a) the campaign map is easier to navigate and manage. other TWs were a bit too much live Civ and that took away from the tactical elements. This map moves a lot quicker and the choices are simpler... although there's enough layers in there for all you strategy crunchers. It's obvious to see why though, and that's because the map covers the whole world instead of just one small region. Also, instead of just focusing on one city where you have to manage everything within, they've spread it out over each subregion.

b) the unit combat isnt watered down at all... it feels frakkin real. Unlike prior titles, ranged units dont have as much power as before. In other TWs archers and catapults could decimate an army before the melee even began... not so with this title. Yah, cannon can lay some waste, but their reload times are "back to reality" unlike other TWs; and they dont have superhuman aiming (at least not in the beginning).

Overall it's definitely more of a challenge, even though the UI and campaign are much slicker. You THINK it's easier, but it's not. The Naval battles are stupid hard and I have to brush up on my tactics. I love how you can capture ships. Also, since there's a navy you can xport your army all over the map - so no port city is ever safe.

As has been said before, ETW was slated to be one of the best of all time... they're close to that now and once they patch in the last feature it will be.

p.s.
I bought the regular game from Steam, because it came with Rome: Total War gold. I had the game already so I'm just giving one to someone else.

Gambit7
03-05-2009, 01:00 PM
hmm, that doesn't sound good. Reminds me of in-game voip for frontlines, advertised, then it was supposed to be patched, I don't think it ever made it in.

what settings are you running gambit, the default ones or custom?

I run high settings but tone down the shadows and turn up the AA. Turning up the AA makes everything very real looking. In any game, shadows are almost always the culprit when it bogs down. Interestingly though, it bogs down in the campaign map and not in battles.

Everything in this game is customizable to a high degree. graphics, audio, UI, etc. There's a slider and/or keymap for everything... so make the game however you want it

TactiKill Jay
03-05-2009, 04:05 PM
I just clocked my chip up to 3.0 and that has helped a lot, but it still won't run perfectly smooth in a large 2v2 naval battle. I also tried to defrag my drive, but after 4+ hours and it still not finishing I finally had to turn my computer off and go to bed. Guess I'll try that again another time. I suppose it probably is my ram holding me back though since I'm on Vista with just 2 gigs. I'll pick up some more soon, but my videocard should be ok right, or is it time to upgrade that as well? I was thinking about buying a 2nd one to run SLi, but I can't find the 8800 GTS anywhere, I guess they discontinued that now..

Gambit7
03-05-2009, 08:51 PM
I just clocked my chip up to 3.0 and that has helped a lot, but it still won't run perfectly smooth in a large 2v2 naval battle. I also tried to defrag my drive, but after 4+ hours and it still not finishing I finally had to turn my computer off and go to bed. Guess I'll try that again another time. I suppose it probably is my ram holding me back though since I'm on Vista with just 2 gigs. I'll pick up some more soon, but my videocard should be ok right, or is it time to upgrade that as well? I was thinking about buying a 2nd one to run SLi, but I can't find the 8800 GTS anywhere, I guess they discontinued that now..

No point in upgrading your vid. card if you're running Vista with only 2gb. Upgrade the RAM 1st and then have a look-see. A raid array will help also. Another thing to realize, since you're running 2gb you're gonna be using pagefile. Since your HDDs arent defragged that'll slow it down also. That's one reason I use more than one physical drive; one for the OS the other for games.

Games like Empire rely more on processor and ram more than anything else.

WaterIsPoison
03-06-2009, 12:44 AM
I'll admit, nothing is more satisfying that mopping up routing infantry with cavalry.

machowner
03-06-2009, 01:49 AM
yea, that is fun, also blasting cannon balls through infantry lines. I like the way they skip along the ground, the infantry and cannon balls, haha.

UnDeaD
03-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Some reviews are in, it does look to be the highest rated Total War game so far, next to Rome.

http://www.gamerankings.com/pc/942966-empire-total-war/index.html

I haven't bought it yet, to much on my plate right now for gaming. But eventually.

amu107.9
03-07-2009, 01:18 PM
I haven't bought it yet, to much on my plate right now for gaming. But eventually.

ditto

westyfield
03-07-2009, 02:57 PM
yea, that is fun, also blasting cannon balls through infantry lines. I like the way they skip along the ground, the infantry and cannon balls, haha.

Yeah, I love watching a cannonball bounce then cut a line through the enemy formation.

amu107.9
03-09-2009, 03:03 AM
Gambit if I had trouble running big battles in supcom.
Will I encounter a similar scenario while playing online?

Of course I am in the process of upgrading my stuff but that's probably a month or more out.

Gambit7
03-09-2009, 02:42 PM
SupCom is CPU intensive mostly due to the fact that every unit is handled individually, whereas TW handles large clumps of units at a time and then chunks the graphics. Both are dual-core supportable games though.

The main issue in TW is particle effects; stuff like rockets and exploding shells. And then of course shadows; which you can turn off. That's all done with the GPU though.

TW's engine is more optimized, but more demanding. I'm not sure what your system will do. The graphics UI is very customizable so you can tone it down a lot. Then of course you can set the unit sizes and available money... and many folks when online dont allow rockets and mortars.

Really though, the single-player campaign alone is worth the purchase... which I dont see you having any issues with except on the campaign map - which is similar to Civ4 with a lot going on... can bog down a system if it's not set right.

tuoply
03-09-2009, 05:29 PM
I'll just add that this didn't run well on my e6600 / 4 gig ram until I overclocked. At 3ghz the game runs fine, so I would agree with earlier comments that the processor seems to be the bottleneck in this game and not the video card / memory.

machowner
03-09-2009, 06:46 PM
my rig
e6750 - 3.2ghz
4 gig ram
8800 gts (512 version)
vista 32 bit

game runs fairly good on high with shadows on low. Like gambit posted, campaign make can be a little iffy sometimes. Especially selecting the naval units. No problems really until later in game when there is a lot of units on the map.

TactiKill Jay
03-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Yeah, the game was really dragging for me until I OC'ed my chip as well, plus I have another 2 gig of ram on the way too. SupCom on the other hand I was able to run perfectly at 2.4 GHz and only 2 gigs of ram.

amu107.9
03-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Yeah but I am running an AMD 4400+X2 @ 2.5GHz Dual Core.

blackmain
03-11-2009, 05:49 AM
This game is awesome.... Been addicted to it all week, been trying to break away for a bit for DOW 2 but I just can't. :(

Gambit7
03-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Yah, this game is actually the first game where my gf actually just sits and watches. It's like watching a history channel reinactment, only much more dramatic.

The campaign is crack... easy to learn, hard to master and much more going on than the older Total Wars. But overall just easier to deal with; albeit deeper. I think the AI is very good on the campaign map, even on easy... the computer doesnt mess around, and if your politics isnt straight you'll pay the price in the long run. The AI is stoopid in skirmish mode though; on the easier levels. Havent tried hard yet... im curious though.

it's a metagame within a metagame within more metagames within a game... and they havent even patched in the coop campaign yet :O

Scattershot
03-11-2009, 06:27 PM
I love this game! I just finished The Road to Independence campaign.

westyfield
03-20-2009, 12:01 PM
I saw an old-ish post on RockPaperShotgun.com regarding Empire: Total War. Apparently there are different box arts for different countries, here's a picture:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/09/march/allempireboxes2qw1.jpg

I guess the one with the British Redcoat soldier wouldn't have gone down too well in the US ;)

Banyan
04-01-2009, 01:10 PM
I know this isn't the proper thread/forum, but I'd like to OC my CPU and hada helluva time when I first put the system together (I believe it's an E6600). I'd like to pick this game up, but noted people with similar systems were having issues. If there's OC doc in the house, can I contact you later on about how to get it OC'd and stable? Thanks!

Gambit7
04-01-2009, 03:00 PM
I know this isn't the proper thread/forum, but I'd like to OC my CPU and hada helluva time when I first put the system together (I believe it's an E6600). I'd like to pick this game up, but noted people with similar systems were having issues. If there's OC doc in the house, can I contact you later on about how to get it OC'd and stable? Thanks!

Nah, the game is pretty rock stable... it's just the campaign map can really burden your system. These last few patches were supposed to remedy that. (I havent tried it yet though, never really had a problem to begin with)

As for your OC stuff (as u know I've got the same system):
I'm running the e6600 on a p5n32e-sli with a tuniq tower for cooling.

My BIOS settings:
Unlinked the fsb/ram
1422 FSB
800 MEM (yah, underclocked... but, so what)
CPU Multi 9
Spread Spectrum Disabled (all that fancy stuff disabled actually)
LDT 5X
*VCore 1.45625*

My memory I had to loosen the timings because the newer sticks werent as aggressive. You ALWAYS want to manually control the timings because if you put it on auto some of your sticks might not accept the values. (unless all your sticks are the same)

I'm running 5-5-5-18 Auto right now. I could probably tighten them, but the gains would most likely be pretty minimal with 4GB of RAM.

This setup will get you a stable/cool 3.2GHz even w/o the cpu tower fan running. The huge stock Intel cooler is more than enough to keep it chilly actually (not necessary to buy the Tuniq). I've had it to 3.4GHz but I lost patience with stabilizing it; but it can be done.

Jetheren
04-16-2009, 11:40 PM
Man I want this game so badly. Just waiting for CA to fix the AI not performing naval invasions in GC bug. I started with Medieval 2 and I've always wanted to play in the Colonial Period so this is going to be very fun. Argh so many games are out that I want and not enough time and money to be spent!