PDA

View Full Version : We need to have some sort of admin

Dr. Pepper PhD.
08-05-2008, 03:52 AM
I know it has been a while since this server was anywhere near to a definition of popular, but we need some kind of admin that actually plays still. Not to discredit wyz, poker, or kormendi, but none of them have the time to play anymore. I realize how in depth the coding to the NS server is and that its not a job that any idiot could do. All of them were fine admins and I would gladly go to them if any of them had the time. But they don't.

The biggest thing that used to get this server riled up was seeing a couple admins and a bunch of supporting members playing religiously. I don't know what the process for this is, I would assume that apophis would make the decision based on recommendations from wyz and poker. But something needs to be done.

I have talked to numerous people that have been banned from the server, and tried to appeal it, and no response. I don't recall as to whom they pmed about it, but an active admin would help that problem. We just need to find a way to get interest back in this server, there is a group of about 3 or 4 of us that will hop in and try to populate when able to, but it just isn't enough to get a group going.

Easiest solution: turn wyz into a sleepless zombie so that he can spend the time after his family went to bed playing NS because people would show when he was there... (not to put it all on you buddy, but they did)

Next step: Have a couple people that are willing to spend the time on the server be it populating or working out bugs, or finding ways to bring interest back to it. I don't know if he is willing but Aga is the first person that comes to mind... Just look at gametracker... he has 4 times the amount of time on the server as any other player since gametracker was started... his skills with coding are not the best... but he is the fairest player i know that could be admin status. He has recently let his subscription lapse only out of fear that TGNS's clock is about out. I am sure that he would be willing to resubscribe if it were required.

So this is kinda a long winded way of me saying that Aga would be the best admin for the job, we could find another for the programming which Aga would oversee, or have wyz be a backstage programmer should he ever find the time. I know not much of Poker's programming skills, however i did talk to fenix the other night and he gave me some insight to the NS server and how it is more of a massive science project than a HL1 third party mod server. I believe Aga could and would be willing to handle being an admin, and perhaps a game officer as poker I haven't seen in months and he was last active here june 10 and that's not even necessarily in TGNS forums.

thane
08-08-2008, 01:35 AM
Hi Dr. Pepper, I still check the forums ever so often.

I'm a little confused about your request for more admins. You don't need to know how to program in order to use most of the server's functions. Does something about the server need fixing, or does there just need to be rule of law?

When it comes to populating it we tried a few methods. We had the TGNS waiting room and we also just directly pm'd people to join as well. Checking the gametracker, it seems the server still fills up once on the weekends. I should try to make an effort join one of those games.

For appealing a ban use the "Natural Selection - Contact an Admin" forum. If you don't get a response after a week, try pm'ing all the NS admins, but only pm them once.

When summer ends, things could start picking up again, so don't get too down and out. This server has died and come back more than a few times.

Dr. Pepper PhD.
08-08-2008, 02:24 AM
Well... the TGNS waiting room no one actually responds to it... i have pmed a ton of people trying also... the problem is you cant set yourself active or inactive for TGNS waiting room... if you are in the community you are there... and very few actually want to be active in the waiting room

Reason i said programming is if an upgrade is needed or a problem with the server occurs
talking to fenix he said it is less of a server and more of a science project belonging to wyz

TheFeniX
08-11-2008, 05:48 PM
talking to fenix he said it is less of a server and more of a science project belonging to wyzI may have had a few drinks that night (more like 6-10), but I don't recall saying this.

My point was that the TGNS server has/had a ton of in-house TG plug-ins running for the day to day operations. I think the comment was made way back that TGNS required more server "horsepower" than any other game running at TG.

None of this means anything for your average admin. They are there to maintain server conduct, not the server itself.

Sirusblk
08-28-2008, 01:47 PM
Dr. Pepper is right. The only people I see that play NS on a semi consistent basis is Dr. Pepper, Agamemnon, and myself. The NS server is usually dead but we've successfully seeded quite a few times :) (largely to the efforts of Dr. Pepper and Agamemnon, and none of mine :P)

I remember back in the day I used to only start playing when I saw Wyzcrak or Pokerface or Kormendi on. I guess that continues today with Agamemnon and Dr. Pepper. If they're playing NS I'll join them.

Dr. Pepper isn't calling out the admin team or anyone else. It's just that a lot of people aren't dedicated to NS anymore, including members of the admin team. We understand of course, real life and more gets in the way. But it would be nice to have some people share the work load :)

Zephyr
09-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Reason i said programming is if an upgrade is needed or a problem with the server occurs
talking to fenix he said it is less of a server and more of a science project belonging to wyz

This made me laugh one of those good hearty laughs. Oh that mad scientist...

I don't think I've ever seen a server as hyper-functional as the TGNS server.

*mutters something unintelligible about NS2's release date*
-Zephyr

tr0gd0r3
09-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Hey, what's the server IP?

ImAWuss
09-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Hey, what's the server IP?

All of the TGNS servers are listed here: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/cmsindex.php?page=serverlist