PDA

View Full Version : NS2 Teaser Trailer and Preorder

kormendi
05-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Check it out!

www.naturalselection2.com

aeroripper
05-27-2009, 04:52 PM
Already pre-ordered the special edition. Can't wait to see the ingame footage.

kormendi
05-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Ok, Teaser is online for real now.

http://kotaku.com/5271215/unknown-worlds-triumphantly-teases-natural-selection-2?skyline=true&s=x

Polska
05-28-2009, 12:24 AM
Yesssss, gonna preorder this soon. Hope to see some old faces when this surfaces. With their lack of updates I though it would be years before we saw this game!

WaterIsPoison
05-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Going to be rocking the black armor. Can't wait.

Donat
05-28-2009, 12:44 AM
Oh yea, just saw it. Looks sweet, though the maps are going to be comparatively smaller then their NS1 counterparts, however this may work alot better.

Also interested to see what tools they toss out. Hmm hell, I may even order the special edition for the chance to be in the alpha and play earlier :)

jack^
05-28-2009, 01:46 PM
oh baby..

Knappe
05-28-2009, 08:04 PM
I can't wait for this to come out. So many years of waiting...

Wyzcrak
05-28-2009, 11:55 PM
Pre-ordered SE.

Ferris Bueller
05-29-2009, 02:51 AM
Pre-ordered the special edition. The onos in the teaser almost made me pee my pants.

whitelancer11
05-29-2009, 03:28 AM
nice.. i can't wait for this to be out..

Kerostasis
05-29-2009, 01:13 PM
The server is choking with all the extra traffic, and they report a 20-to-1 ratio of people buying the Special Edition over the Regular version. Flayra & Co must be having a party this weekend. :)

Polska
05-29-2009, 05:43 PM
The server is choking with all the extra traffic, and they report a 20-to-1 ratio of people buying the Special Edition over the Regular version. Flayra & Co must be having a party this weekend. :)

40 is still a good price, I imagine anyone who played NS1 for a good period of time will buy the SE to thank Flayra for his great work.

amu107.9
05-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Gonna be rocking this game as much as possible.

billybob
05-30-2009, 12:47 AM
count me in.... ill be back for this

Vulcan
05-30-2009, 12:16 PM
I am actually looking forward to this!

aeroripper
05-31-2009, 09:09 PM
Looking forward to playing with all of you again! Hope we're able to procure a TG NS2 server when the time comes.

cookieMONSTER
06-01-2009, 12:08 AM
I preordered and I'll very much be back to NS when it's out

Eternaly_Lost
06-01-2009, 10:58 PM
I just preordered. I can't wait. Do we know if TG will be running a alpha/beta server when it comes out (assuming that alpha is playable online)? Or is it likely that we have to wait for the full game to get a tg server?

EDIT:

Should we see if we could get this section rename to NS and NS2? Or do we get our own subsection when NS2 is officially release/in beta testing

Daxx
06-02-2009, 01:35 PM
40 is still a good price, I imagine anyone who played NS1 for a good period of time will buy the SE to thank Flayra for his great work.

Pretty much my reason for purchase. That and the picture that comes up when you do made it worth it ;)

Black_V!per
06-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Been a while since i've been here, but yes, im still alive and waiting for NS2. I got the SE :D

lagarto
06-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Nice. I'll wait before pre-ordering because I don't think I want to play an alpha or a beta anyway, rather save the nice lil' surprise for when it's really done. Playing L4D since the beginning with it being really buggy and lacking of content really took it's charm away. Also, I wonder if it will be on Steam, because I'll much rather buy it directly from Steam.

And yes, NS1 alone felt like it was well worth over $40 so I would expect pretty much everyone who played it pay for the Special Edition too.

verbose
06-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Oh Noes!

So Wyz, how come the trailer isn't front-page on TG.com yet? ;)

Looking forward to coming back here to wail on my NS friends from long past!

Donat
06-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Pre-ordered SE. I consider it payment for NS past and NS2 to come. See you in the alpha. (whenever that is)

Tempus
06-09-2009, 02:00 PM
MY GOD! A verbose sighting!!!!!!!11111

Wyzcrak
06-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Tempus is so hooked.

billybob
06-09-2009, 09:36 PM
im kinda excited for this.. hopefully we can bring it back like we did back when NS was popular

Wyzcrak
06-09-2009, 09:42 PM
You can't bring back the past. :/

But it sure would be nice to see some old faces make a return (HSantal: didn't mean that literally, but you're welcome, too :)).

Tempus
06-09-2009, 10:29 PM
verbose, billybob, Wyz, and I in the same thread.. Bring back Tactical Rage!!!

billybob
06-09-2009, 10:36 PM
oh its gonna be on!!!!

lush
06-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Pre-ordered SE.

Everytime I think of it, my girlfriend is unsatisfied. =P

See ya'll in the Alpha.... with black armour... =)

Wyzcrak
06-09-2009, 11:19 PM
lol Tactical Rage -- man... seriously Good Times..., that.

Avs
06-23-2009, 12:17 AM
Got me the secret edition off amazon.

thane
06-25-2009, 06:26 PM
Late to the party, but pre-ordered! Looking forward to the beta.

Polska
06-29-2009, 08:20 PM
Iv'e been toying around with Steam Skins, hoping to make an NS2 skin. Anyone have a resource for NS textures maybe, or jsut a general texture resource?

here are my ideas/results so far.

no backgroudn texture
http://i42.tinypic.com/2hyl26t.jpg

backgrounds/controls skinned with textures
http://i39.tinypic.com/5pl9qf.jpg

Feel free to throw me ideas.

Polska
06-30-2009, 11:41 AM
Preordered today myself. Can't wait for this puppy.

Also threw up my Steam skin on Deviantart (http://adamdz.deviantart.com/art/Steam-Skin-Natural-Selection-2-127769527). Comments and questions welcome, its my first skin be gentle :D.

Turbinator
07-30-2009, 11:11 PM
wow looking good.

Nice to see so many very familiar names :)

If it says Fall 2009 in the trailer, then is alpha already available now for those that pre ordered Special Edition?

I will definitely be back, looking forward to playing with ya fellas once again.

drew_952
08-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Pre-ordered the special edition. Looking forward to playing NS on TG servers again.

Polska
08-09-2009, 05:15 PM
wow looking good.

Nice to see so many very familiar names :)

If it says Fall 2009 in the trailer, then is alpha already available now for those that pre ordered Special Edition?

I will definitely be back, looking forward to playing with ya fellas once again.

No word on alpha yet. I don't expect a release this year, but I guess you never know. Patiently waiting (hey I have been waiting for starcraft 2 a decade :D).

Donat
08-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Perhaps they were running out of production money and needed the preorder sales so they could just delay it to 2010 hehe.

Skud
08-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Stop telling the truth!

TheFeniX
08-11-2009, 12:22 PM
seriously Good Times...You rang?

EDIT: For this occasion, I suppose I'll switch back to my old NS avatar.

Polska
08-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Time to move on Fenix, I found a new one for you to hump. This one gives hugs.

http://www.unknownworlds.com/cache/thumbnails/ArmoryRender_800x600.jpg

TheFeniX
08-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Do you realize how hard that thing is going to be to make into a signature? Sure, the imagery that formed in my mind immediately after seeing it is hilarious (and a little disturbing), but getting it to fit in a 300x100 box is going to curtail my attempts at humor.

But seriously, that thing could probably supply much better humping opportunities than old box head.
http://members.tacticalgamer.com/~thefenix/TheFeniXTG2.jpg

Black_V!per
08-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Time to move on Fenix, I found a new one for you to hump. This one gives hugs.

http://www.unknownworlds.com/cache/thumbnails/ArmoryRender_800x600.jpg

Yay hugs!

Donat
08-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Hmmm it seems to encourage being at the armory for long periods of time. Though I suppose buying weapons you have to be. Can't place it in the corner anymore if you want full function I suppose.

Turbinator
08-15-2009, 02:16 AM
wow that new armory looks great, and a bit troublesome I'd say since it was hard enough to get some of you off of the old armory :)

I kinda thought that they might delay it, but perhaps alpha will be this fall, since they trailer was released in the last week of May. Stating a release date in the trailer that's withing 4-6 months and then not deliver, even if it was purposely for generating income for further development, kinda sux.

Hope it comes out before SC2 does :) (which is summer of 2010)

Polska
08-15-2009, 10:24 AM
A release is still possible. Someone posted that although details about the armory were released now, it was already finished (model/skins) late last year. So they may be slow to release stuff, no way of really knowing how far along they are. Its better that they work on the game then waste time releasing more teasing material :). Having said that though still no alpha, so its hard to believe they will squeeze it in this year (even though testing periods can be very brief).

aeroripper
08-21-2009, 04:15 PM
In case you guys missed them, here are the onos/skulk/gorge reveals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyD-VMOavkM&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAGDMExYyl4&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RjcZndmW8s&feature=channel

The gorge is my favorite so far :P

Turbinator
08-25-2009, 12:47 AM
i hope leap stays, that skulk will look bad ass leaping. Gorge covering itself was funny hehe

Polska
08-25-2009, 09:30 AM
Infantry Portal Reveal (http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/news/2009/8/infantry_portal_reveal)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SagZ7xFdznk

Turbinator
08-26-2009, 09:18 PM
good thing that they added the ability to join the squad asap via ip terminal.

That definitely changes on how phase tech is used, if that will be in game.

TheFeniX
08-27-2009, 01:59 PM
Geeky gamedom anecdote: if you played the celestial Star Control ][, you'll recognize this ability as similar to Utwig's special ability. We are toying with having the ability give you energy when it soaks damage as well, and reducing energy when using it without actually taking damage.Yea, but the Jugger couldn't recover energy on it's own. It would be interesting to see how they handled the gorge ability if it went this way.

Utwig Jugger is awesome though.

Turbinator
08-28-2009, 12:24 AM
Yea, but the Jugger couldn't recover energy on it's own. It would be interesting to see how they handled the gorge ability if it went this way.

Utwig Jugger is awesome though.

would you translate that please :)

UWE is thinking of implementing an ability that increases energy when aliens take damage?

TheFeniX
08-28-2009, 01:30 PM
would you translate that please :)Star Control 2 is an ooooold PC game based around 2D space combat. All ships had two abilities, the Utwig (Species) Jugger (ship name) had a primary projectile weapon that used no energy to fire.

It's alternate attack was a shield that drained energy at a moderate rate, but would regenerate energy based on the amount of damage it absorbed. The problem is that the Jugger could not regenerate energy on it's own. You either used the shield at the correct time and recovered energy or you ran out and were forced to slug it out with your primary alone.

It required working knowledge of how other ships were played and knowing when to use the shield. Put the computer on godlike and fight a Jugger. You really could not win. Luckily, in the game itself, you'd have to be a retard to actually pick a fight with the Utwig.

Kerostasis
08-28-2009, 06:20 PM
You have successfully translated the Jugger reference, but forgot to translate the Gorge reference.

UWE is including a damage-resistance ability for the Gorge, but hasn't decided on exact stats for it yet. The original suggestion was "damage taken goes to energy instead of health", making it basically like a manashield ability. Then they said, as an afterthought, "maybe we should have it be like the Starcontrol ability and have him regenerate energy while being shot?" This would most likely require changing the manashield functionality to make it more like the Utwig Jugger ability, but we won't know for sure until we see it in the Beta.

Turbinator
08-29-2009, 12:40 AM
You have successfully translated the Jugger reference, but forgot to translate the Gorge reference.

UWE is including a damage-resistance ability for the Gorge, but hasn't decided on exact stats for it yet. The original suggestion was "damage taken goes to energy instead of health", making it basically like a manashield ability. Then they said, as an afterthought, "maybe we should have it be like the Starcontrol ability and have him regenerate energy while being shot?" This would most likely require changing the manashield functionality to make it more like the Utwig Jugger ability, but we won't know for sure until we see it in the Beta.

thanks Kero, that would be nice if its implemented, although would require a gorge to in constant battles for energy to regen, unless of course the regen of energy is always happening and its just faster when the gorge is being damaged.

ty Fenix, that was very descriptive makes me wanna try the game, although chances are I wont find it and even if I do, it wont run on vista/xp. :)

Zephyr
08-31-2009, 05:50 AM
*ahem*

You may also count me in. Tempest, Snappy, RGB-Whatever Custom, and Tycho, I know you are out there.

...and Enigma, that voiceless killdrone, if anyone can find him, drag him back to the game kicking and screaming.

I'll go nudge Keres on this as well.

-Zephyr

TheFeniX
08-31-2009, 11:46 AM
ty Fenix, that was very descriptive makes me wanna try the game, although chances are I wont find it and even if I do, it wont run on vista/xp. :)It's abandonware and DOSBox would handle any emulation. That said, the game is not easy by any stretch. Much of it is resource gathering and the combat is unforgiving. You can also lose the game. And by lose, I mean "move slow enough that you don't have enough time to beat it and must completely restart, losing tens of hours of gametime."

Hence, the term "ooooold."

Anyways, on topic with the gorge, balancing his ability will be difficult. Make it too powerful and he's pretty much unkillable. Make it too weak and a marine will just sit there and pour pain into him. I know that sounds like "duh," but if you think about it: if one marine is a threat to a soaking gorge, then 3-4 would take him out as if he didn't even have the soak ability.

What might work is to have the math worked out where one marine couldn't kill him with the soak engaged. By the time the marine reloaded, have the gorge recover his energy. In this way, it would take multiple marines dedicated to killing one gorge and the fatty doesn't have to worry about getting offed by one lonely marine.

Or just give it a large drawback. Can't reengage soak for X seconds after using it. Gorge move slow for X seconds after using, etc.

kormendi
08-31-2009, 12:27 PM
It's abandonware and DOSBox would handle any emulation.

SC2 was remade a while back under the name Ur-Quan Masters. They used the the 3DO source code, artwork, spoken dialog, so its a slightly enhanced experience from the original PC version. It runs nicely on XP, but I don't know about Vista. I strongly recommend giving it a try: http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

Eternaly_Lost
08-31-2009, 12:35 PM
It's abandonware and DOSBox would handle any emulation. That said, the game is not easy by any stretch. Much of it is resource gathering and the combat is unforgiving. You can also lose the game. And by lose, I mean "move slow enough that you don't have enough time to beat it and must completely restart, losing tens of hours of gametime."

Hence, the term "ooooold."

Anyways, on topic with the gorge, balancing his ability will be difficult. Make it too powerful and he's pretty much unkillable. Make it too weak and a marine will just sit there and pour pain into him. I know that sounds like "duh," but if you think about it: if one marine is a threat to a soaking gorge, then 3-4 would take him out as if he didn't even have the soak ability.

What might work is to have the math worked out where one marine couldn't kill him with the soak engaged. By the time the marine reloaded, have the gorge recover his energy. In this way, it would take multiple marines dedicated to killing one gorge and the fatty doesn't have to worry about getting offed by one lonely marine.

Or just give it a large drawback. Can't reengage soak for X seconds after using it. Gorge move slow for X seconds after using, etc.

I am fairly sure that the draw backs are can not move and can not attack.
It is likely to be balanced so 1 marine with a default weapon can not kill the gorge. But anything more then 1, or a better then base marine ( You have W2 so you can kill them now very slowly), would be able to kill it.

The timing should be set that the a gorge can not just pop this off to attack well the marine is reloading, so that means that all this will do is a wait here as you are shot at and hope your friend skulk is closer then the marines friend.

Should make the Gorge a lot saver against loner Rambo, but if used against anything other then one marine, you might as well just use kill, as all you will do is make them waste a little bit more ammo. And I don't recall the last time that throwing gorges at marines to waste ammo was any better then a skulk, or an onos...

I can see it now, a heavy train walking down the hallway, they walk upto a door, and it open to show a long line of rocks. looking closer they find that they are gorges that are hiding.
The Commander orders them to open fire, and the Flamethrower and HMG start to throw everything they have at it.
Soon the guns run out of ammo in there clips, and there is lot of well done Gorges in the hallway.

Then side doors open and onoses come and start charging them.
The marines stuggle to reload there guns in time as the Onos roar as they get closer and closer.

Well, we have to see how it goes in game.

jack^
09-16-2009, 03:02 AM
the new marine (http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2009/09/first_peek_at_the_new_frontiersman)

Turbinator
09-22-2009, 11:45 PM
the new marine (http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2009/09/first_peek_at_the_new_frontiersman)

those human models look great. Shaping up to be a great visual treat in addition to impeccable game play :)

Black_V!per
09-23-2009, 11:00 AM
those human models look great. Shaping up to be a great visual treat in addition to impeccable game play :)

So much has changed, its (imo) will be a different game with similar play style.

Visual treat, OHHH YEEAAA... Game play is tbd.

RGM-79N_GM_CUstom
10-06-2009, 11:48 PM
I am going to preorder the SE as soon as I get the chance. It will be hard to play every night like back in the day but I should be able to play all weekend long.

And it's nice to see so many familiar faces.

Black_V!per
10-07-2009, 11:13 AM
I am going to preorder the SE as soon as I get the chance. It will be hard to play every night like back in the day but I should be able to play all weekend long.

And it's nice to see so many familiar faces.

Yeap. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G3amfulHoo)

violentsquirrel
11-24-2009, 08:05 PM
Oh wow, lots of familiar faces. It'll be great to play with the old ns crew again.

Avs
12-14-2009, 10:48 PM
It'd be great if they could release this within next year.

HSantal
09-15-2010, 04:23 PM
You can't bring back the past. :/

But it sure would be nice to see some old faces make a return (HSantal: didn't mean that literally, but you're welcome, too :)).

I resemble that remark. :)
I did in fact pre-order this. You know, just in case.

Thanks Wyz.