PDA

View Full Version : NS2 and Supporting Memberships

Wyzcrak
06-04-2009, 02:28 AM
When we decide it's time to come back together for NS2, and we want a quality place to do that, it's not going to look good when it's a bunch of non-SMs asking for a server.

Just sayin'. This stuff costs very real money.

Most everything else in your life costs more than it did when we were playing NS1. The cost of the Supporting Membership hasn't changed. So, really, it's cheaper this time around.

Kerostasis
06-04-2009, 10:55 AM
I have every intention of re-upping my SM when NS2 comes out. That'll be a few months yet though, cause they've got the whole alpha and beta stage to work through first.

MaDNess
06-04-2009, 05:27 PM
I have SM for CSS and other games here but you will see a new face surface within the NS community when this game goes live ;)

bigmatt
06-04-2009, 11:06 PM
I will make sure to keep my SM active! Playing CS:S, l4D until NS2. Thanks for the news WYzcrack!

Ferris Bueller
06-05-2009, 02:49 AM
someone will have to pry my SM from my cold dead fingers. well, either that or it'll end when the bank cancels my credit card cause i'm, well, dead. either way, not going anywhere anytime soon.

Wyzcrak
06-08-2009, 09:48 PM
This stuff costs very real money.

Most everything else in your life costs more than it did when we were playing NS1. The cost of the Supporting Membership hasn't changed. So, really, it's cheaper this time around.
Another perspective hit me today: just like things in your life cost more, now, than they did, I'm sure (read: guessing) that servers cost more to own than they used to. To re-use my earlier language: this stuff costs more real money, now, than it did last time.

But, again, the cost to us hasn't changed. So, it's a double-whammy, really: it seems less expensive to you, and it's more needed by the folks paying the real bills around here.

Word today from UWE that early alpha/beta builds won't run on third-party servers, so this likely isn't immediately actionable information. I'm just raising the consideration for anyone who considers this place to be very special.

Eternaly_Lost
06-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Another perspective hit me today: just like things in your life cost more, now, than they did, I'm sure (read: guessing) that servers cost more to own than they used to. To re-use my earlier language: this stuff costs more real money, now, than it did last time.

But, again, the cost to us hasn't changed. So, it's a double-whammy, really: it seems less expensive to you, and it's more needed by the folks paying the real bills around here.

Word today from UWE that early alpha/beta builds won't run on third-party servers, so this likely isn't immediately actionable information. I'm just raising the consideration for anyone who considers this place to be very special.

The question is does TG count as a third party server? :)

I don't think that they are going to forward the money themselfs to rent/build servers to handle the full alpha load ( largest near the start most likely ) when there are good enough people out there who are willing to host servers for them.

We will just have to see in what a few weeks? They are aiming for an alpha and a beta, so they have to be planing on start it soon.

Donat
06-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Fall 2009 I think is a 'guideline' :P Ideally I'd bet they would aim for Halloween again for full release which gives them around 5 months for development.

And who knows? I heard its staggering how many people bought the SE version of the pre-order, so maybe they can turn that money around for a extra server or two :P If I can find myself a steady stream of money I may become an SM again.

Tempus
06-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Whoa... NS2?!?......

Pokerface
06-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Whoa... NS2?!?......
You know you want to come back, boss.

Wyzcrak
06-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Mmmmm..... Teeemmmpppuuss.......

Black_V!per
06-10-2009, 03:27 PM
I have every intention of re-upping my SM when NS2 comes out. That'll be a few months yet though, cause they've got the whole alpha and beta stage to work through first.

Roger same here. I cant wait to see whats going to happen with the community, not just here at TG but the whole NS community. I've been passively been watching TG-NS, TG-CSS, TG-Battlefield, and NS Development in general. Everythings coming together and im seeing names i havent in years. Makes me happy.

NS2 makes me say El Yay

TG is the way to be for all NS Glee.

FooKer
06-10-2009, 06:09 PM
I'd consider the possibility of donating for that SM slot. I'm just waiting to see it come out first :D

Dead_Meat
06-11-2009, 11:46 AM
i'll keep my sm when it comes out
right now i still play NS mostly
i havent really forund any other games i like

tr0gd0r3
06-11-2009, 01:10 PM
i will support... I just hope we can be a bit more open to develop the community a bit.
Maybe throw in some sort of censor plugin rather than banning people for swearing... growth is good... mmm... yes...

CingularDuality
06-11-2009, 01:19 PM
I plan on getting into this game early so that you guys can't ignore me this time!

Ferris Bueller
06-11-2009, 01:35 PM
HAHAHAHAHA! Cing thinks we cant ignore him! Boy, is he in for a surprise!

Oh wait, did I say that out loud? :icon26:

Polska
06-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Well if I get as involved with this game as much as the last one I will seriously consider a membership. It seems rather steep for me, but if I become a regular here again it can be justified ;).

Eternaly_Lost
06-11-2009, 06:00 PM
I plan on getting into this game early so that you guys can't ignore me this time!

Who are you again?

:)

Still I wonder if when we get an NS2 server up, we might need two becuase It looks like we are going to have a lot of the old regulars coming back, and I know we ran two servers for a while, and think we did at a few points have them both full, or one full and the other half full.

I am sure someone here has exact data on that.

Fleeb
06-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Even after long years of whispers in the dark feeding a foolish hope that was never quite extinguished, I never imagined it would be realized. I mourned the empty server and allowed my membership to expire, now to find that NS2 is something palpable...real.

What happenstance that I would blunder over this just in time to be able to actually transform currency into product. And it is done, if only to cement an obligation for delivery.

But the membership, that is something else. The website does not encourage me that NS2 can be run on a server before its near-final incarnation. Tell me that it can be done, or that it is already being done, and I will renew to give you a little extra clout.

Pokerface
06-15-2009, 02:03 AM
Even after long years of whispers in the dark feeding a foolish hope that was never quite extinguished, I never imagined it would be realized. I mourned the empty server and allowed my membership to expire, now to find that NS2 is something palpable...real.

What happenstance that I would blunder over this just in time to be able to actually transform currency into product. And it is done, if only to cement an obligation for delivery.

But the membership, that is something else. The website does not encourage me that NS2 can be run on a server before its near-final incarnation. Tell me that it can be done, or that it is already being done, and I will renew to give you a little extra clout.
From NS2's Twitter Feed (http://twitter.com/NS2/status/2078058256): Question: "Will we be able to run our own servers during the NS2 alpha/beta?" Answer: Not right away for sure, definitely near the end.

If your (or anyone's) desire is to wait until we open a server to join, more power to you; but it'll be easier to bring a server to life if we're able to bank some coin beforehand. :)

cookieMONSTER
06-21-2009, 10:41 PM
I've been SM for a long time now and I'll certainly be full time NS2 when it's out. Already pre-ordered... been playing NS1 to get back in the swing of things...

MaDNess
06-22-2009, 04:48 PM
I've been SM for a long time now and I'll certainly be full time NS2 when it's out. Already pre-ordered... been playing NS1 to get back in the swing of things...

Room for me BRO!?....

aeroripper
06-23-2009, 01:39 AM
I miss playing tgns :(. I'm sure NS2 is going to introduce a massive old/new playerbase to the game so hopefully we can get the TG community rooted early on in the game.

cyphaetus
06-26-2009, 12:02 AM
Why wait for the NS2? How many SMs do we need to restart the old server? I'll start another thread to kick start the idea.