PDA

View Full Version : Restart the old NS Server

cyphaetus
06-25-2009, 11:04 PM
You've probably noticed the NS2 trailer has sparked renewed interest in the original NS. I've seen more than few TGNS regulars over on the GUD server. I'm getting fed up with the racism and general belligerence there though. So I'm wondering if there is any interest in a restarting the NS server? It could then transition into the NS2 server when the time comes.

As Wyz pointed out, servers cost money. How many SMs do we need to make this happen?

Pokerface
06-26-2009, 11:40 AM
Regular memberships, probably in the neighborhood of 30.

aeroripper
06-26-2009, 02:20 PM
NS still has a small remaining player base, with only a couple of (US) servers staying full most of the time. I miss the more positive/cooperative atmosphere TGNS had comparative to the frustrating mess out there now. I've only had maybe 3 really good games in a month or two of playing again than I used to have pretty much nightly on TGNS.

I am interested to hear more concrete details on how the beta is going to work as far as community servers go. It'd be nice to get the community built up again and ready for NS2.

Fleeb
06-27-2009, 02:29 PM
I had been looking to start playing again recently, but the sorry state of the servers that are still breathing has prevented me from getting back into things. I had considered starting my SM up again to go back to playing, only to find that the TGNS server was gone.

I will renew my membership to aid the cause, I miss it too. I hope that this means that there will be an honest effort to get the server back, though.

Dead_Meat
07-01-2009, 07:38 AM
can we get some sort of player clicker to see how many will play if they restart a server?

Eternaly_Lost
07-09-2009, 12:56 AM
I would most definaly play, and start my sm back up. I was letting it die down for this month or 2 as I am really busy( studying for the CCIE lab exam ) and did not expect much time to play on a tg server, but if we are going to get one back up, I would not mind at all.

blu.knight
07-11-2009, 10:00 AM
The problem with people saying "yeah I'd totally start up my SM membership again" is that it's just words. Even better than a ticker, we should have require an actual commitment... See if people will put money where their mouth is.

Each person would need to make a $20 deposit to show that they are serious, and in return would get the first 3 months of a standard membership free... If the monetary goal is not met and the NS server is not reborn, that deposit would be refunded.

Eternaly_Lost
07-11-2009, 01:19 PM
The problem with people saying "yeah I'd totally start up my SM membership again" is that it's just words. Even better than a ticker, we should have require an actual commitment... See if people will put money where their mouth is.

Each person would need to make a $20 deposit to show that they are serious, and in return would get the first 3 months of a standard membership free... If the monetary goal is not met and the NS server is not reborn, that deposit would be refunded.

It one thing for someone who has not had one running for several months, and someone who just let it die out last month because they planned to be busy, and had to get quite a bit of software and hardware for study.

That said, I know for certain I will restart my membership around the time ns2 comes out, or when the tgns2 server comes out, what ever happens first. I let my membership die because I knew I was going to be very busy for the past month, and most the next 2 weeks ( I been putting in 10 hours days 6 days a week just studying ). Only about this week have I started to have enough free time to think about maybe playing a game online.

Still, Poker was being reasonable, in that good servers cost good amounts of money, and NS is a little on the low side, and with NS2 being release soon, I don't see the reason to waste money from TG, when the server was often empty near the end. Sure if they get 30 people who will pay to have the server up, you will likely find it populated, but most of us have moved on to other things, and NS2 is likely a much better time to kick the server back up.

That said 20, just to see if there is really enough interest might be a good idea, only if we get 30 people who have sms, or plan to start it back up when he server goes up, post in here. I see 7 over what 2 weeks? Now if we got 20 in just a day you might have something.

blu.knight
07-12-2009, 12:16 AM
It one thing for someone who has not had one running for several months, and someone who just let it die out last month because they planned to be busy, and had to get quite a bit of software and hardware for study.

That said, I know for certain I will restart my membership around the time ns2 comes out, or when the tgns2 server comes out, what ever happens first. I let my membership die because I knew I was going to be very busy for the past month, and most the next 2 weeks ( I been putting in 10 hours days 6 days a week just studying ). Only about this week have I started to have enough free time to think about maybe playing a game online.

Still, Poker was being reasonable, in that good servers cost good amounts of money, and NS is a little on the low side, and with NS2 being release soon, I don't see the reason to waste money from TG, when the server was often empty near the end. Sure if they get 30 people who will pay to have the server up, you will likely find it populated, but most of us have moved on to other things, and NS2 is likely a much better time to kick the server back up.

That said 20, just to see if there is really enough interest might be a good idea, only if we get 30 people who have sms, or plan to start it back up when he server goes up, post in here. I see 7 over what 2 weeks? Now if we got 20 in just a day you might have something.
The timeframe that people commit is not what is important. The important thing is that there ARE people willing to pay for a NS2 server. Poker says it costs money, so we set a target # of memberships, and do this commitment thing. No one will have wasted their money if the NS2 server doesn't go up (which will help people make the dive), and if it does TG has enough money to run it for at least two months. Those people might not go and sign up for an SM membership, but that initial jumpstart will help to get everyone else going.

Just one point that I think I'm being unclear about, or this thread is getting mixed up with*... I don't care about a NS1 server. I care about a NS2 server, and my suggestion is for that. I don't think there can be enough enthusiasm to get the NS1 server going right now when TF2 is still being played, and NS2 is around the corner.

* The OP mentions that the server would transition into an NS2 server... Since NS2 is being released soon, I don't see a point to discussing NS1 in this thread.

Donat
07-12-2009, 12:48 AM
Remember, they already said that there arn't going to be custom servers for a little while during the alpha, you'll probably have time to get people prepared.

Ferris Bueller
07-12-2009, 01:46 AM
You also have to bear two things in mind:
1.) SM convers ALL our games. I use my SM not only for our NS servers when they were up, but also for our TF2 server (again, when it was up), PoE2, PR, 2142, CS:S, and ArmA servers. You cannot specifically designate money to go to a specific server of your choosing. SM money is globally distributed throughout all of TG. This has been said publicly before, so I'm not just making this up.

2.) Without going directly to Apophis on this, there is no way to do the $20 down payment idea, and something tells me that he's not going to be willing to organize a whole new payment system for a few people who dropped their SM for one reason or another. On top of that, $20 would only cover just over two months of SM.

If we want to restart the old server for a while, why doest someone just ask Apophis if we have any spare coin that we could test-run it for a week? If we get minimal interest, no harm, no foul (this is theoretically possible since TG doesnt rent individual server, but entire boxes in a datacenter) and shut it down. If it proves successful, people who said they'd renew their memberships oughtta pony up and we can keep it active until NS2 pops up.

blu.knight
07-12-2009, 10:50 AM
You also have to bear two things in mind:
1.) SM convers ALL our games. I use my SM not only for our NS servers when they were up, but also for our TF2 server (again, when it was up), PoE2, PR, 2142, CS:S, and ArmA servers. You cannot specifically designate money to go to a specific server of your choosing. SM money is globally distributed throughout all of TG. This has been said publicly before, so I'm not just making this up.

While this is true, the other TG communities were never as good as TGNS. When I was a SM I could have gone to other games, but it just isn't worth it. The money goes to TG as a whole, but the only reason I pay for it is for the TGNS community.

Fleeb
07-12-2009, 02:20 PM
I would imagine the lack of activity on these forums is more due to the fact that they've been mostly dead for some months and I'd imagine the greater portion of the former NS players don't bother to check them. The word has to go out in other ways as well.

Personally I have little doubt that there will be a TG NS2 server regardless of how many people post in this thread prior to the release of a playable version. The old TGNS managed two servers for a good long while and I don't believe that we'd be short on returning SM's to feed at least one.

So in keeping with its purpose, this thread should only pertain to an effort to start up the original NS1 server.

Personally, I am one of those who only paid a TG membership for the NS server and I was one of a number who let their subs expire when the server went down. The issue I see here is that most people who did that aren't actually willing to take any risk to get something done. If you really want to put your money where your mouth is, get your sub going again for a month and see if it goes anywhere. At worst you're out nine bucks and can scrub it again until NS2 is going.

Myself, I just went and bought the year's sub again. Call it a measure of faith.

cookieMONSTER
07-18-2009, 11:08 AM
I'm a SM and I'd love to see the NS server back. I play on the <gud> server but it'd be nice not to be bombarded with racism/bigotry *every single round*.

snooggums
07-31-2009, 04:38 PM
I personally don't think it's worth throwing up a TGNS1 server until maybe the month before NS2 release for a little nostalgia party while revving up for release. The TGNS server would not remain populated right now, I mean if we don't organize get togethers on other servers right now we won't keep interest up for a while server.

I would like to suggest setting up an NS1 server one month before the release date (which I'm guessing will be Halloween again) to kind of rev up for the release. We can play for the month of October and be amazed with the improvements on release day!

usererror
08-10-2009, 12:45 AM
I've been an SM since NS, and don't play any other games that HAVE TG servers. I'd love to see an NS server go up for a bit before NS2 release.

Kerostasis
08-19-2009, 02:53 PM
I would like to suggest setting up an NS1 server one month before the release date (which I'm guessing will be Halloween again) to kind of rev up for the release. We can play for the month of October and be amazed with the improvements on release day!

I second this solution.

Polska
08-20-2009, 01:48 AM
I agree, would be nice to have NS1 to play for a week or so before NS2 comes out. If not see you all back in NS2 (NOOBS! ok we all will be again).

Ferris Bueller
08-20-2009, 04:28 AM
you guys can always come get some gametime on the GUD server. Agamemnon plays there, as well as a lot of other old faces from around these parts. Hell, I played a round today where Ag not only commanded us to victory, he built base while he was doing it. the GUD server is fun, but the language and stuff doesnt follow the old TG mantra, it does get very...adult.

and yes, my aim still sucks, so you dont really have to worry about me killing you much.

blibblob
08-20-2009, 06:20 PM
I'd be willing to play. I only played a friends copy of HL back in the day so I never got to play NS even though it looked so awesome. Though I picked up the Valve Complete Pack when it was on sale a while ago but just never thought about installing NS and it'd be nice to try before NS2 comes out.

NSPlayer
08-23-2009, 05:16 PM
but it'd be nice not to be bombarded with racism/bigotry *every single round*.

I agree. It can get a little draining. I've just started playing again this past week after an extremely long hiatus, and while I remember now why I played so much, I also remember why I didn't like the game.

I would love to see a server filled with team work, more or less fair and even teams (not just in quantity, but skill) and mature players. I always remembered some good games on the TG-NS and OldF servers.

Anyhow, I have an NS server that's currently online that's been sitting unused. I would like to offer it for use with the TG community, **free of charge**. I'm wiling to duplicate the same rules, and the same admin access. I just want the server to be used so that I can play in a server environment filled with maturity and team work.

I don't know what the rules are in this type of case. Perhaps it's not kosher. If that is the case, I think another plan is to offer admin to those I think I know can help create that magical server environment... or maybe even just use it for PUGs and what not. Again, I just want the server to be used, and I want to play in a server with a mature, team-working environment

Thoughts? Comments? :)

Pokerface
08-23-2009, 09:02 PM
I agree. It can get a little draining. I've just started playing again this past week after an extremely long hiatus, and while I remember now why I played so much, I also remember why I didn't like the game.

I would love to see a server filled with team work, more or less fair and even teams (not just in quantity, but skill) and mature players. I always remembered some good games on the TG-NS and OldF servers.

Anyhow, I have an NS server that's currently online that's been sitting unused. I would like to offer it for use with the TG community, **free of charge**. I'm wiling to duplicate the same rules, and the same admin access. I just want the server to be used so that I can play in a server environment filled with maturity and team work.

I don't know what the rules are in this type of case. Perhaps it's not kosher. If that is the case, I think another plan is to offer admin to those I think I know can help create that magical server environment... or maybe even just use it for PUGs and what not. Again, I just want the server to be used, and I want to play in a server with a mature, team-working environment

Thoughts? Comments? :)
Interesting thought. I'll check in with Wyz to see what he'd need.

snooggums
08-25-2009, 10:31 AM
What is the current NS1 install, 3.1? Not sure if I am up to date but I think so.

aeroripper
08-25-2009, 06:01 PM
3.2 is the latest.

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/download/

Yer Mom
08-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Bump?

Lol.

It's been a while since I've talked to most of you guys, but I'm sure the majority of you know me.

I'm looking forward to NS2 more than I am any other game. The games we used to play were so intense and team-oriented that they simply can't be replaced.

I'm currently gaming on Xbox Live (BF:Bad Company, Halo 3, few other titles). The games I play in Halo sometimes compare to the old NS crew due to my friends being with me, but rarely compare in a gameplay sense.

I NEED MY HIVE RUSHES BACK!

Mom

Zephyr
08-31-2009, 05:24 AM
Interesting thought. I'll check in with Wyz to see what he'd need.

Something along the lines of...

...PLEASE...USE...CD...HERE.

-Zephyr

Eternaly_Lost
08-31-2009, 10:35 AM
Something along the lines of...

...PLEASE...USE...CD...HERE.

-Zephyr

AH yes, I remember CD.

Do we even still have a copy of all the custom mods that we had running? You know the little admin things and the like.

Anyway, I am back from my job in china, and will be putting my SM back up later this week.
Do we have an ETA on that Server or is it not coming up? I would like to know about when I can expect to see some real NS games again.

Pokerface
08-31-2009, 11:24 AM
We have copies of everything.

Pokerface
08-31-2009, 10:10 PM
PM Sent to NSPlayer with Wyzcrak's demands. I mean NEEDS! NEEDS! Yeah... needs.

Eternaly_Lost
09-01-2009, 08:18 AM
PM Sent to NSPlayer with Wyzcrak's demands. I mean NEEDS! NEEDS! Yeah... needs.

Requirements? I think that what you wanted to say.

I wonder what he needed? I guess SSH access to the server and a root account? Server must be behind a public IP and able to access the TG servers to get information about subscribers?

Also, I just restarted my SM :)

Spyder
09-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Failing NSPlayer, I've got my own dedicated colo gameserver box that has extra space on it that I could set up an NS server on. I don't know what wyz's demands were but I'd be more than happy to install a server with whatever you wanted on it and give you guys admin access via rcon or whatever plugin and let you guys have a server where you could police yourselves.

Pokerface
09-01-2009, 11:59 PM
Failing NSPlayer, I've got my own dedicated colo gameserver box that has extra space on it that I could set up an NS server on. I don't know what wyz's demands were but I'd be more than happy to install a server with whatever you wanted on it and give you guys admin access via rcon or whatever plugin and let you guys have a server where you could police yourselves.
You all are entirely too generous. Not so generous that I'd not take you up on it, of course, but still.

This is why playing here worked -- works -- so well.

NSPlayer
09-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Hey all, sorry for the delay. I thought I had subscribed to this thread (i.e. notifications by email) as I don't come into the forums a lot -- needless to say, I didn't get any even though there have been many replies. Good thing I popped in quickly to check this out.

Well, I've written Pokerface and Wyzcrak a message. We'll see what they say. :)

Eternaly_Lost
09-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Hey all, sorry for the delay. I thought I had subscribed to this thread (i.e. notifications by email) as I don't come into the forums a lot -- needless to say, I didn't get any even though there have been many replies. Good thing I popped in quickly to check this out.

Well, I've written Pokerface and Wyzcrak a message. We'll see what they say. :)

Good, I do wonder how we will get everyone to show up.
At least I got NS reinstalled and most of the mods I used in the game found and replaced( you know the little stuff like text icons and a much better font), if only I can remember how to change the spray I will be all good.

Wyzcrak
09-05-2009, 02:11 AM
It's been a long time, and I've forgotten a lot of the stuff that used to drive our old server. Meanwhile, the limited time I have now makes the limited time I used to have seem plentiful.

But, I just about have a first draft of a server environment that I think will give us "our good time". I can't control the (or predict your) latency to the server (donated selflessly by NSPlayer -- thank you!), and I think the box is beefy enough to give us our 8v8 (dunno about CO bots).

It's no clone of TGNS. Some plugins we knew have been intentionally left out (some only temporarily).

Some things that I intend to bring to the server will be broken initially, including reserved slots. TGNS always was a configuration Frankenstein of sorts, and picking and choosing, now, which aspects of it I want recreated has only heightened the risk of runtime problems.

But I'm sure I can get it all sorted out given a little time and a few patient souls willing to endure countless map resets. I need people to help me test. If you're interested, be watching this thread tomorrow evening (and afternoon, if I'm lucky).

Eternaly_Lost
09-05-2009, 07:37 AM
It's been a long time, and I've forgotten a lot of the stuff that used to drive our old server. Meanwhile, the limited time I have now makes the limited time I used to have seem plentiful.

But, I just about have a first draft of a server environment that I think will give us "our good time". I can't control the (or predict your) latency to the server (donated selflessly by NSPlayer -- thank you!), and I think the box is beefy enough to give us our 8v8 (dunno about CO bots).

It's no clone of TGNS. Some plugins we knew have been intentionally left out (some only temporarily).

Some things that I intend to bring to the server will be broken initially, including reserved slots. TGNS always was a configuration Frankenstein of sorts, and picking and choosing, now, which aspects of it I want recreated has only heightened the risk of runtime problems.

But I'm sure I can get it all sorted out given a little time and a few patient souls willing to endure countless map resets. I need people to help me test. If you're interested, be watching this thread tomorrow evening (and afternoon, if I'm lucky).

I will gladly help out test tomorrow, although this afternoon might not be possible if I need to do anything more then just sit on the server. I have games club where we are playing boardgames for about 12 hours at noon, so I can set up my laptop to join the server to test something that just requires a connected client, I can keep an eye on it well I play, but anything more then that will be beyond me after noon est.

Leave the co plugins off for now, worry about getting classic back to how we where used to play, and then if you have extra time just lying around (something I seem to have less and less of as I work more and more on my CCIE) you can get co back to normal.

Just make sure we have the necessary plug-ins, like map change and sm_kick, we need to be able to police the server after all.

Wyzcrak
09-05-2009, 04:54 PM
password "apple" for now

Wyzcrak
09-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Good round of testing. Thanks to those who helped. I'll return around 9PM CST tonight for more testing, followed by some actual games.

Wyzcrak
09-05-2009, 10:23 PM
password "letter"

Donat
09-06-2009, 12:24 AM
Was fun, shame sleep is required :P

Wyzcrak
09-06-2009, 12:37 AM
Agreed. That was fun. I've got more stuff to tweak. For now, the server stays password protected.

Agamemnon
09-06-2009, 01:06 AM
So I just realized the old TGNS waiting room steam group we had set up still exists. For those who weren't in it, this was a steam group where we would send out event messages when we were trying to seed the server in its dying months. Anyway, next time we try to populate I'll send out an event on that thing and see if we get any takers (or a flood of people finally leaving the steam group...).

Fleeb
09-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Oh? What's the group's name?

Agamemnon
09-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Oh? What's the group's name?

Tactical Gamer NS Waiting Room

Eternaly_Lost
09-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Agreed. That was fun. I've got more stuff to tweak. For now, the server stays password protected.

A quick look from steam brower shows the server to be at 124/32 people with and a lot of those are HLTV bots. Either we have a lot more popular server then I recall or the server is miss reporting it information.

I noticed that the number was rising over time, so I think HLTV is joining on map change and not leaving.

A quick test with mapvote shows that the number rises with every map change.

Pokerface
09-06-2009, 09:43 PM
A quick look from steam brower shows the server to be at 124/32 people with and a lot of those are HLTV bots. Either we have a lot more popular server then I recall or the server is miss reporting it information.

I noticed that the number was rising over time, so I think HLTV is joining on map change and not leaving.

A quick test with mapvote shows that the number rises with every map change.
I have zero clue what's up with that. The server only reports one connected instance of HLTV from the console, and joining the server (which I'm able to do without issue from HLSW, at least) shows only one HLTV connected as well.

Weird.

Fleeb
09-06-2009, 10:38 PM
The HLTV bot thing seems to be result in a 'Server is full' message whenever one tries to connect the usual way in NS itself. I've noticed the numbers of HLTV bots has continued to climb.

Wyzcrak
09-06-2009, 11:07 PM
Yeah, that HLTV bug is crazy pills.

Pokerface
09-07-2009, 02:06 AM
The password is off. Tell your friends.

Wyzcrak
09-07-2009, 03:19 AM
Let me know, somehow, when stuff doesn't act like you expect it to (based on your memory).

Any feature that's turned on and relies on personnel data will likely be using stale information for a while yet.

Eternaly_Lost
09-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Let me know, somehow, when stuff doesn't act like you expect it to (based on your memory).

Any feature that's turned on and relies on personnel data will likely be using stale information for a while yet.

The server is still gaining HLTV bots like it is going out of style. It Has 62 of them at this time of writing.

Agamemnon
09-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Until the hltv bug is fixed, we won't have much success attempting to populate the server.

Wyzcrak
09-07-2009, 10:28 PM
I'd appreciate anyone sharing any links they find (after searching) discussing the cause and/or solution of that.

Eternaly_Lost
09-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Are we running the most up2date version of HLTV? I noticed this thread: http://www.hltv.org/?pageid=18&threadid=21636

Rather then that, nothing I could think of in google came up with anything.

Wyzcrak
09-09-2009, 11:59 PM
I think I have a workaround for the HLTV, but it requires more testing.

Meanwhile, the box hosting the server is offline and may not return until Sept. 16 (which will be here before we know it).

Donat
09-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Looks like its up again, HLTV fixed or haven't tried it yet? at any rate we should try to get a game going tonight or this weekend.

Eternaly_Lost
09-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Looks like its up again, HLTV fixed or haven't tried it yet? at any rate we should try to get a game going tonight or this weekend.
HLTV is up, we did manage to pull in about 5 people last night to play some CO games. Then we broke off and went to another server that was running a NS game.

HLTV is fixed, so you can hope onto 142.103.199.229:27015, I will post an event when I make my way over to the server.

In about 2 hours or so.

kormendi
09-11-2009, 08:10 PM
I'll probably jump on the server around 8:30 or 9 if its up.

kormendi
09-12-2009, 12:55 AM
We had a few ok games tonight. We were 2 or 3 players shy of having enough for some really good games.

Thanks to Keres, Enigma, Firefly, Lost, Fleeb, cyphaetus, ambriento, Agamemnon, Skud (even though everyone left just as you joined), and others I am certainly forgetting.

Agamemnon
09-12-2009, 04:57 AM
So one thing I noticed is the afk kick to hltv suffers from that same problem with issuing a connect command, which means one afk player generates continuous spam. If you could either disable the afk handler or switch it to a straight kick that would be helpful.

Donat
09-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Couldn't play because my headset went FUBAR on me, but now I have temp one till I get the other one back from warranty.

aeroripper
09-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Had a great hour long game today. I can't count the number of times aliens got 3 hives (with OCs all over map) and marines kept pushing back for a win. I think we took out the complete marine tech tree (AA, proto) at least 2-3 times to stall. Great game.

Will have to rename server to TG soon?

Eternaly_Lost
09-13-2009, 07:40 PM
Had a great hour long game today. I can't count the number of times aliens got 3 hives (with OCs all over map) and marines kept pushing back for a win. I think we took out the complete marine tech tree (AA, proto) at least 2-3 times to stall. Great game.

When the upper ok it, we can.

That game however was the type of game that I keep coming back to TGNS for. Despite how bad things get for a side, they still manage to fight back.

Near the end, the commander ( wyz ) was building 2 of everything just to stop us from stalling again.

Wyzcrak
09-13-2009, 09:55 PM
That game this afternoon was epic, in the true sense of the word.

I'll fix the AFK spam.

If someone has knowledge about how I can issue the "connect" command to clients (or the equivalent), please PM me. Thank you very much.

Apollonius999
09-15-2009, 12:45 AM
I talked to Wyzcrack a little in game. I can put up a server on my box hosted out of texas. I have plenty of room for a server to run. I originally tried to help revive a more competitive side of NS while in <BAD> and have my server tuned for scims/pugs. It normally runs at 1000fps which i can tune down for solid fps on a public server. If you guys want to use it let me know i have a few IP's. I can setup an ftp with direct access, you just might have to clean up the configurations of previous users which i'm sure you would want anyways or i can do a fresh install. The box is linux.

72.9.144.10:27015 <~~~ is the practice / pug server for an idea of ping. I have a couple up but only that one and penguin get used and they are mainly for people practicing so there is no load that will affect the main server. The box is a dual xeon with 4 gigs ram. I played on the one you guys are working on now and had no reg problems or anything like that but i noticed everyone had a higher ping. When NS2 comes of course i will be switching over like everyone else. You can do with the server what you like.

Skud
09-15-2009, 06:18 PM
By the way...

If we want to seriously get NS back to where it was troll players need to be shooed out the door before NS2 arrives. Nothing could be worse for the title than old NS players on an official TG NS2 server who give the wrong impression, like I got the other day. Problem players need to be identified and shooed out before NS2, or we'll have less new regulars, and ultimately less SM's.

Pokerface
09-15-2009, 10:03 PM
I talked to Wyzcrack a little in game. I can put up a server on my box hosted out of texas. I have plenty of room for a server to run. I originally tried to help revive a more competitive side of NS while in <BAD> and have my server tuned for scims/pugs. It normally runs at 1000fps which i can tune down for solid fps on a public server. If you guys want to use it let me know i have a few IP's. I can setup an ftp with direct access, you just might have to clean up the configurations of previous users which i'm sure you would want anyways or i can do a fresh install. The box is linux.

72.9.144.10:27015 <~~~ is the practice / pug server for an idea of ping. I have a couple up but only that one and penguin get used and they are mainly for people practicing so there is no load that will affect the main server. The box is a dual xeon with 4 gigs ram. I played on the one you guys are working on now and had no reg problems or anything like that but i noticed everyone had a higher ping. When NS2 comes of course i will be switching over like everyone else. You can do with the server what you like.
The offer (and others like it from this thread) is gracious, and we thank you. I'll talk the options over with Wyz and the TG upper echelons (we might get some space back in house for this trip down memory lane to prepare ourselves for NS2).

Kilalot
09-16-2009, 05:45 AM

It's only because Me, Dirm and Civilian late joined on the same team that one day that turned the tide for a Marine win. Could be wrong though.

Fleeb
09-17-2009, 01:12 AM
There was a full server tonight.

Dare I say? It Lives! It Lives!

Until a swarm of jetpacks with heavy guns shoot it to death repeatedly, if tonight is any indication :P

snooggums
09-17-2009, 09:36 AM
I've tried all the server addresses in this thread and can't seem to find a TG specific server. What is the current address?

kormendi
09-17-2009, 11:43 AM
I've tried all the server addresses in this thread and can't seem to find a TG specific server. What is the current address?

The address posted in this thread is accurate. The server name is the generic "Natural Selection 3.2." Its not a TG hosted server so you wont see any TG branding, but you will get old school TGNS quality of play from it.

Pokerface
09-17-2009, 12:25 PM
The TG branding is under discussion. We might even open up in-house again, pending some server shuffling.

aeroripper
09-20-2009, 02:00 AM
Had a packed server most of the night. I'd say the demand and players are back to keep the server full on a nightly basis possibly?

Wyzcrak
09-20-2009, 02:37 AM
Yeah, definitely.

At the risk of beating the dead horse (and I'm addressing everyone now), demand and player counts would mean a lot more if several non-SMs suddenly became SMs and voiced support for the idea of TG again hosting an NS server.

Stellar games tonight. Just superb.

Thanks, again, to NSPlayer for the server.

Cain
09-22-2009, 07:25 AM
:icon_eek:

re-installing now...

aeroripper
09-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Got the SM going again, hope we can afford a new server soon :D

Donat
09-27-2009, 03:47 PM
The server is full of HLTVs again. can't connect.