PDA

View Full Version : Good Times.......?

TheFeniX
01-23-2010, 12:48 AM
Preface: Sorry about the incoherent ramblings over Steam Wyz. I considered not messaging you because, let's face it, we haven't really spoken in a year (which is like at least a year and a half in gaming time...). That and I know you only kept me around for my rugged good-looks. I just sort of had an epiphany after I joined a TF2 server and, after getting insta-killed by what I assume was a demoman wielding a sword rather than a grenade launcher, I heard someone say "he must be new to this game" to who I am pretty sure was me, I needed to rant and you happened to be online. That, and I figured if you hadn't banned me after all the crap I've put you through, I still had at least one rambling PM left before I was toast.

I post this thread here because this is where my meager beginnings at TG began and where I ran into, not a group of people I enjoyed playing NS with, but a group of people I enjoyed gaming with... period. Those who remember Starcraft over Hamachi (Korm) know exactly what I am talking about. If it needs to be moved, so be it. But you guys have dealt with my rantings before, and I figure you'll do it again in hopes that I'll post more Text-Based Natural Selection RPG.

So, I've been AWOL from TG gaming for the better part of a year. Sure, I've been hanging around the Sandbox here and there, but that's not exactly staying active. Partly because I realized dumping hours of my life into PC gaming by locking myself away in the second floor computer room wasn't indicative to a healthy relationship between my girlfriend and I. But, more importantly (am I right?) my PC (still on the AGP architecture) was barely able to run TF2 or anything afterwards. I spent the last year in the bowls of XBox 360 gaming.

But that's over as I finally blew a decent wad on a new machine capable of running pretty much anything for the foreseeable future. So, I loaded up yee ol' Steam and got around to installing all those HL2 mods I know and love. And that's what I'm going to rant about: the wasteland that was my gaming life around a year and a half ago.

Zombie Master: 1.2.1 was release before I quit PC gaming. For a mod with such promise, it fell flat. The hit detection is terrible. The physics in general are terrible. It can be fun on some standard maps, but... oh yea no one runs them. 99% of the servers (so.. 6 out of 7 that are online) run "joke maps" that usually have no textures or any instructions. Even worse is the type of player that still plays. Comms? Yea right? Unless you think communication is defined as spamming rap music into the mic.

The Hidden Source: Polished. Responsive. Intense. Even with the lack of servers (usually 3 or less with players) this mod is still hella-fun. Unfortunately, such a small community has bred a few really good players who are also absolute dicks. I can't believe this game is as unpopular as it is though. Even tactical players should eat it up. If you own HL2 and haven't tried this mod, you are missing out.

Dystopia: Suffers in the same area as The Hidden. The community died and is a mix of hard-core players with attitude and pubs that do jack all to help the team but likely aren't kicked because the server would be empty otherwise. That said, the additions make it worth a larf.

Team Fortress 2: Man.... like I stated early. There's something wrong with a game when someone who was pretty decent takes a break for a year, comes back playing medic like they always do, and gets called a "new guy." This is not Team Fortress. It is "Cartoony light-hearted Team-Based-Objective shooter with animated gore." Try and argue with me all you want, but I don't care. 150 HP as Medic, go heads up with another medic: get in two hits, then get one shotted by his upgraded bonesaw. If I wanted to play a game that punishes you for not grinding, I'd go play an MMO.

Counter-Strike Source: The one game I have on Steam that TG still hosts a server. I joined the PCS server the other night and got back into my grove after about 3 rounds. Anyone who says PCS has slipped is full of it. This server still delivers after such a long time away. Guys were communicating, coming up with plans. In fact, I was the weak link on the server. Thumbs up PCS, you did not fail me. Though, I would be lying if I said the bandaging stuff didn't get old. I see myself hitting up PCS off and on.

Too Long ; Didn't Read: Please God let NS2 get released. I'll host a server if TG doesn't, because that armory is not going to hump itself.

aeroripper
01-23-2010, 01:10 AM
So you're spending more time away from your girlfriend again in a second story computer room? :P

TF2 got old pretty quick IMO. NS is pretty much the only game I'll play a round or two every other day or so. I still can't quit gaming entirely though, it always sucks me back in eventually. It's like a more pleasant version of having to quit drugs tbh.

Iceberg
01-23-2010, 12:44 PM
I haven't played any real titles on the PC in over a year either, thank you Mr. USARMY. When NS2 hits us, it's going to be so much fun.

TheFeniX
01-23-2010, 02:15 PM
So you're spending more time away from your girlfriend again in a second story computer room? :PUm, hello: I'm a numbers man. I have corrected one of the criteria (new PC) so my threshold is now back to "ignore significant other until castration is threatened."

NS is pretty much the only game I'll play a round or two every other day or so.I found it funny that not 5 minutes after you posted this reply, you loaded up NS and started playing. "If you complain about it, they will come." I fired up some combat the other day and had a good round as marines against bots. Just like wbots on the TG server. Still didn't feel the same though.

Skud
01-23-2010, 04:31 PM
A few months ago we had a GREAT show up for seeding most nights for NS on a donated TG box. However, NS2 hype died and with that the seeding. We could possibly start again if you get involved enough.

aeroripper
01-23-2010, 09:27 PM
I found it funny that not 5 minutes after you posted this reply, you loaded up NS and started playing. "If you complain about it, they will come." I fired up some combat the other day and had a good round as marines against bots. Just like wbots on the TG server. Still didn't feel the same though.

haha, complaining always works. I can't stand combat mode, NS classic is where its at.

Spyder
01-25-2010, 02:40 PM
A few months ago we had a GREAT show up for seeding most nights for NS on a donated TG box. However, NS2 hype died and with that the seeding. We could possibly start again if you get involved enough.

Server's still there, 216.246.49.179, loaded with whatever TGNS stuff wyz got to work.

CingularDuality
01-25-2010, 03:55 PM
I've preordered NS2, and would like to attempt to play NS1 again before the new game comes out, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to play. Thursday and Friday nights are probably best for me right for the next couple of months.

TheFeniX
01-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Server's still there, 216.246.49.179, loaded with whatever TGNS stuff wyz got to work.I'm still a member of the NS seeding group.

Avs
01-26-2010, 06:13 PM
I've avoided NS since the last time we put together seeding time on the server. I just don't want to go back and unleash any want of NS2 coming out sooner. Other stuff that is going on in the PC world until NS2 comes out:

Mass Effect 2 (and mass effect 1)
Dragon Age
Modern Warfare 2
Left for Dead 2

Upcoming stuff

Medal of Honor: Afgan (or whatever)
Command and Conquer 4
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Deadspace 2
Crysis 2
Starcraft 2
Assassins Creed 2
Black Mesa Source

I really hope the community and map makers for NS1 stick around for NS2. It feels like it's slowly dying due to the way NS2's team has not really communicated even after taking pre-orders. I do not consider a twitter feed as communicating officially.

snooggums
01-26-2010, 07:03 PM
NS1 has turned out like every other old mod that is still played by a few (matching the Dystopia example) where the few good remaining players are complete jerks to new players. With NS1 there is one server with decent players, all of which have attitude problems, then there are a couple of servers where teamwork is completely lacking. In both cases there are enough jerk players blaming others to spoil any kind of fun.

I'm looking forward to the NS2 release due to a larger and fresher user base. I wouldn't expect it out by June, maybe even as late as December of 2010.

Mech__Warrior
01-27-2010, 01:07 AM
I might be interested. I got the original Half-Life, that's all I need other than the download, right?

TheFeniX
01-28-2010, 02:49 PM
NS1 has turned out like every other old mod that is still played by a few (matching the Dystopia example) where the few good remaining players are complete jerks to new players.Yea, but think about how loooong it took NS to get there. I joined TG in January of 2004 after playing for a good 6 months on random servers. We were still using WON back then and the switch-over to Steam had a lot of people freaking out and rightfully so.

I think I started as of 1.04, but I could be mistaken. I know I missed out on the beta versions, but I do remember lifeforms being tied to hives (Hive 2 fades, hive 3 Onos). Oh and Lerk Spines.... and bramblers. The early blink with it's broken teleport.....

It wasn't until around 2009 that things started really sliding for NS. That's a 6 year run for a free mod based off a retail game released in 1998. In fact, most source mods are lucky to survive a year with 1/4 the community NS had. Hell, most retail games don't survive online for half that long. And it's not like the tech and the desire isn't there.

With NS1 there is one server with decent players, all of which have attitude problems, then there are a couple of servers where teamwork is completely lacking. In both cases there are enough jerk players blaming others to spoil any kind of fun.Man, if I had a nickel...

I might be interested. I got the original Half-Life, that's all I need other than the download, right?That is correct.

Keres
01-28-2010, 07:30 PM
So... who wants to play some Friday evening? ;)

Mech__Warrior
01-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Hit me up on Steam, I'll give it a try.

Fleeb
02-02-2010, 09:15 PM
The revived server had a good run when NS2 interest was high, we actually managed a full server for a couple weeks before it started to peter out.

If people would drop announcements on the Steam group it'd make things easier when you're trying to seed the server. I did my best to answer the call, I still miss TGNS. I can't say after playing this game since the days of babblers that I'm more than a mediocre player, but I'd rather be at the bottom of the board on the NS server than to be king of the hill on any of the others.

Fleeb
03-21-2010, 10:58 PM
Still missing you folks. I find I still want to play, but the servers that are left don't really compare.

Entro
03-23-2010, 02:18 PM
I'm sure when NS2 is near release, there will be more interest.

Bisclaveret
03-24-2010, 03:53 PM
I'd like to play as well. NS was also one of the other games (besides Dystopia) where I cut my teeth on TG-ness. I've never been very good at it, especially horrible at being a lerk or a marine with anything besides a shirtgun or humgee, and the eliteness of the players nowadays have turned me off from coming back, especially since I haven't played since perhaps 2007.

PCS is a different animal, I'm pretty bad in that as well (I'm bad at a lot of twitch-based games, preferring a slower tactical game) but I haven't seen much on the TG servers in that way either. Mostly I really fail because I haven't been playing every day for 4 years so I don't know the maps and all hiding places inside and out. (Also a problem with NS, I get mighty lost, especially as a lerk trying to navigate corridors).

snooggums
03-24-2010, 06:53 PM
i'm in the same boat as Bisclaveret, I was always only ok at NS as an individual but that is where I got into TG to start with because I fit in as a support role for the team either as part of a dogpile of skulks or 'mobile turret' as a marine but with tactics to make up for my lower focus on twitch since moving from counterstrike.

I really look forward to NS2, the current field of NS 3.2 servers is full of egos and jerks that make the game less fun that CS 1.6 with a friend or two.

Zephyr
04-13-2010, 01:09 PM
I'll be back too. Don't you worry. Most of us are just waiting for the right moment...and that right moment is NS2's launch.

-Zephyr

Mech__Warrior
04-14-2010, 12:28 AM
I encountered the jerk players a while ago, haven't been back to NS since. It's a good concept, but way too easy to die for both sides.

Eclipse
04-22-2010, 02:37 PM
I don't think I could play NS anymore with any semblance of ability.

Eagerly awaiting NS2 to jump back in with the crowd that got me started here at TG all those years ago.

Currently tearin up BC2.

I miss all the NS folks =(

RGM-79N_GM_CUstom
04-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Alright I have preordered the special edition of NS2.

Also I doubt I could play NS1 that well anymore either. Granted I think we should try to get a night of NS1 back at least before NS2's launch.

Turbinator
05-09-2010, 01:24 AM
So you're spending more time away from your girlfriend again in a second story computer room? :P

TF2 got old pretty quick IMO. NS is pretty much the only game I'll play a round or two every other day or so. I still can't quit gaming entirely though, it always sucks me back in eventually. It's like a more pleasant version of having to quit drugs tbh.

and yet it was TF2 that kind of ended NS at TG :(, when I say that I am referring to TG NS server going from filled with regulars nightly, to being empty (after TF2) and a couple of regulars had to use steam to get the word across to fill the TG NS server.

they should stop focusing on gfx and get the game (NS2) out. I would pay for beta or the state that NS1 was at in 2003.

Sorry for being off topic, just saw the response and had comment.