jaynus
02-17-2010, 04:29 AM
Operation Alvira V1 - AAR

CO: Me
Alpha Lead: Charlie Foxtrot
SF Lead: Lowspeed
Blackhawk Pilot: Lev
Apache Pilot: Scope

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Objectives:
- Eliminate the Warlord
- Assault the Outpost
- Destroy the mortar sites and weapon cache
- Capture and destroy the downed UH1Y

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Initial Orders:

Command initially ordered two main movement orders for the platoon. First, Special Forces (designate SF), was ordered to load (quickly) into the blackhawk and be inserted into a position, designated SF insertion. Upon SF insertion into the area, Alpha squad was ordered to move north along the MSR and support SF in their movements. Both squads were ordered to assault the outpost as their first objective. The special forces insertion point was assigned southeast of the outpost along the wall line to that direction; alpha was assigned to move along the MSR and assault along the road and then break towards the outpost. Alpha was ordered to proceed north in a single stykerr.

Command ordered the apache element to fly cover for the SF and blackhawk during their insertion. During this period, the Apache was shot down by some sort of anti-air fire.

Initial insertion and assault proceeded as planned; command proceeded towards the AO on the next blackhawk lift. Alpha proceeded along its approach towards the AO; dismounting at the alpha approach marker, which was south of the outpost along the MSR. Alpha advanced on the outpost, leaving a single man in the styker for support. During this time, the special forces team was advancing north west and then south west in order to attack the outpost from its north eastern flank. Alpha and SF both assaulted the outpost in tandem, and then proceeded to secure the area.

At this time, command ordered alpha to break off and proceed due west to attack the ZU-23 position marked on the map during briefing. During this time, the blackhawk provided transport for respawns and JIP's. We also lost at least 10 players during this period. SF continued clearing the outpost, and alpha came under heavy fire on their approach across the open ground, approaching directly southwest in a straight line from the outpost. Alpha was eventually eliminated to their single styker during this period.

Command then ordered alpha to remount in the blackhawk for transport,\ and re-insert at a new LZ designated fat momma; its remaining styker was ordered to move to their new insertion point. This LZ was directly south east of the "mortar site 3" marker. Alpha inserted successfully. During thsi time, command has the blackhawk on standby for the SF squad to extract and re-insert into the southern end of the map.

Command then changed orders; the SF squad was ordered to RTB and then remount in humvee's; and then to move northwest along the road into the town. Approximately halfway there, SF encountered resistance along the road and dismounted. During this period, alpha was still moving into the designated mortar site 3 and securing it successfully. Sf continued pushing north-west. At this time, command ordered them to move south west to jointly assault the mortar site along with alpha. At this time, SF and alpha coordinated their assault and successfully destroyed the site. Command and a new player (Skin) took gunning positions in the blackhawk in order to provide CAS. A single CAS run was successful.

SF was then ordered to move directly north; between the T-34(?) static site and the next mortar site. Alpha was ordered to move directly northeast to capture and destroy the next mortar site. SF assaulted the T-34, and destroyed it. Alpha encountered heavy resistance on their approach to their next objective, but also overcame the resistance with minimal casualties. At this time, command then designated another LZ, poohead, for the blackhawk to transport in JIP's and respawns. Between these new insertions, command was shot down while inside the blackhawk on another CAS run. At this point, all air support was disabled.

Once Alpha secured the next mortar site, command ordered them to continue proceeding north to capture the UH1Y crash site. At the same time, command ordered SF to proceed west to capture the weapons cache and mortar site in that direction. During this period, SF killed the warlord in or around that location, and eventually destroyed the mortar site as well as the weapon caches. While this was occuring, Alpha was moving north towards the downed chopper and encountering heavy resistance; command ordered their tactical retreat south to wait for SF to move in a flanking maneuver.

At this point, we were extremely lacking in players; SF was out of ammo and had multiple wounded and were rendered combat ineffective. Command ordered Alpha to equip 2 X M249 per squad member and "go rambo". They then got wiped out and we called the mission.

Pros:
- Action was overall good
- Great coordination, Charlie & lowspeed were great SL's.
- The map leaves a lot to the command from a tactical perspective (as long as you ignore the breifing telling you what squad for what)

Cons:
- The AA is insane. Blackhawk & Apache are basically useless unless you can wipe out *all* AA on the map. This leaves 45 minutes of bored pilots. Less AA installations; takes forever to walk/drive ground troops to take them out
- I didn't know how to tell my pilot to reload mando flares. Is there a way to do this? I thought Mando had re-arm points you had to put on the map?
- The mortar message was just distracting. We only had 1 time where a mortar hit out guys; past that, JIP's kept freaking out about the mortar hint until we explained to them it was global.

Merula
02-17-2010, 10:29 AM
- The AA is insane. Blackhawk & Apache are basically useless unless you can wipe out *all* AA on the map. This leaves 45 minutes of bored pilots. Less AA installations; takes forever to walk/drive ground troops to take them out
- I didn't know how to tell my pilot to reload mando flares. Is there a way to do this? I thought Mando had re-arm points you had to put on the map?

In ArmA 1 Mando was integrated with ACE and to reload countermeasures the pilot had to land next to either an ammo truck or a repair truck (can't remember which one) and when the helo was landed, he had the option in the action menu to initiate reloading of the countermeasures (took 20 secs per flare/chaff bundle).
Also, if I remember correctly, the idea behind the mission is for the Apache to loiter slightly outside the killzone and have the SF team designate targets for it: as long as the pilot follows proper NOE flight and terrain masking procedures, he can get pretty close to certain areas (witnessed personally) even inside the AAA radius. ;)

Sc[ + ]pe
02-17-2010, 01:49 PM
You can reload flares thru any ammo truck (although I'm not positive if this also applies to the new ACE ammo trucks!). Ultimately, the Apache was my fault, and I feel bad for wasting Meek and the FACs' time. Personal experience with that mission has indicated that some anti-air capable enemy squads like to maneuver just south-east of the northern outpost, and it's usually only a matter of time before they move past the freeway hump and take eyes on anybody hiding behind it. Such was the case last night. Bleh!

jaynus
02-17-2010, 02:01 PM
No worries scope; I also wasn't paying enough attention to the terrain to give you an appropriate aerial AO. That map has so little texture to it, I wasn't even thinking of finding that 50m hill to have you hide behind hehe.

MarineSeaknight
02-23-2010, 12:14 AM
Could this possibly be the remake of the dreadedly never-beatable (almost) Alvira of the A1 days?

LowSpeedHighDrag
02-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Yes, unfortunately/fortunately.

Merula
02-24-2010, 09:24 AM
The differences are that the helo used is an Apache (not a Cobra), the mission is set at dusk, and the special forces are not Independent.
I remember when playing that mission in ArmA1 when, after a long, hard fight we almost won, when the Cobra gunner decided to "shoot first, ID targets later" and wiped out the squad I was in. I think we managed to win anyway, but since then I have been known to get extremely snarky when dealing with trigger-happy CAS pilots (you have a camera with an ungodly level of zoom and you know there are friendly troops in the area: how can you confuse a BDU-wearing soldier with an M240 and backpack for a turban-wearing, civilian-clothed insurgent with an Ak?!).
Note that this applies only for heloes with a gunner and for pilots that do attack runs with no warning whatsoever, as in FF situations that would be completely avoidable if someone took 2 secs to do things by-the-book. :p

MarineSeaknight
02-26-2010, 06:23 PM
The Alvira I remember had no Apaches/Cobras. It had an SF Team with HMMWVs and some infantry with Strykers.

Merula
02-27-2010, 07:54 AM
The Alvira I remember had no Apaches/Cobras. It had an SF Team with HMMWVs and some infantry with Strykers.

Then I'm confusing this Op with another: what was that mission set in Afghan Village that had the US Rangers as BluFor and Special Forces + a Cobra from the Nightriders (160th ftw) as Independent and had to sweep the village in search of a dude that we were supposed to kill? At the start the players have to reach a small hamlet near the MSR and there was a random chance that the target was there.

MarineSeaknight
02-27-2010, 03:04 PM
One of Ace* King's old missions.

His mission names I could never remember, other than the fact that they were named after birds like Falcons and Eagles.

Merula
02-27-2010, 03:14 PM
Oh yes, I remember those.
I think the mission I was thinking about was called "Eagle Fury".
Oh, and sorry for going OOT ;)

LowSpeedHighDrag
02-27-2010, 06:29 PM
One of Ice King's old missions.

His mission names I could never remember, other than the fact that they were named after birds like Falcons and Eagles.

His name was "Ace King", and surely its not "Ciao, io sono micheal Knight di 160" :)