PDA

View Full Version : C4 blast radius?

Abel
03-21-2010, 11:25 PM
I haven't used C4 since the beta and just started playing with it again. But for some reason I suicide with from time to time and today I didn't it twice on one round. Both times while destroying tanks.

Is the C4 more powerful in the retail than in beta when it comes to splash damage? And my big question is, do the C4 act like a shaped charge?

Normally I place C4 on a tank and run opposite from where the C4 is, if it's placed in the right side and run of to the left side of the tank and survive. Today I placed it in the right side and just run away from it and he turned his right side against me and at the very same distance I usually survives at I died, hard. As an admin pointed out, I was close to the tank but not closer than I have been before and survived..

Mixa
03-22-2010, 07:31 AM
I always jump behind something before detonating. The area the blast affects is massive, less than 10m and you're sure to get damaged, often killed. Also vehicle explosion does some extra damage on top of that (so being too close to the vehicle while being far from the explosion spot doesn't save you).

LordKelvin
03-22-2010, 12:02 PM
The c4 explodes in a sphere of effect, blocked only by substantial barriers such as concrete blocks or walls.

With the improved explosive perk, it has a kill radius of 8m or so and splash out to 15m or so.

As a result, unlike 2142, you can be killed by the blast even as you duck around a wall.

Abel
03-24-2010, 03:42 PM
I did some test on an empty server and if you place your C4 on the left side of a tank you can almost stand with your back against the right side of the tank without taking any damage at all.. Conclusion. Don't run away from the tank when you have placed your C4, run around it and you will not take damage..

Zhohar
03-24-2010, 09:49 PM
I did some test on an empty server and if you place your C4 on the left side of a tank you can almost stand with your back against the right side of the tank without taking any damage at all.. Conclusion. Don't run away from the tank when you have placed your C4, run around it and you will not take damage..
Nope -- if you set two pieces of C4, you'll destroy the tank, and it won't be the C4 blast that kills you -- it'll be the explosion of the dying tank. Regardless of how it dies (a pistol shot could set it off) the tanks explode while dying and have a "sphere of death" around them that extends to about 2 meters around the tank.
So -- it's a tossup between:
a) setting C4 running away from where you came (a good bet because you approached the tank on the blind side and didn't attract attention)
or
b) setting C4, running around the tank, running into the pilot and driver's field of view, then moving two meters off, then stop sprinting, then right clic, and then wait an agonizing second until the detonation is registered and C4 blows up.

B is more risky, in my opinion.

Abel
03-24-2010, 09:57 PM
Ok.. Then I must be really awesome..

Just did it one the TG server on a Bradley. Approach him from the back, placed 2 C4 on his right side and run to the left side. Hit the RMB and watch him die. I might have been taking some damage from it but not enough for me to notice it on the screen.

You know what.. I'm gonna fire up fraps and show you instead..

Zhohar
03-24-2010, 11:44 PM
Tested just now, with both tanks -- placing C4 on one side, and running to the other side and hugging the tank tighly allows you to live.
Seems like it's only people inside the vehicle that are prevented from magically living through an explosion by pressing e.

Fun fact Abel showed me -- 1 pack of C4 to either side of a fully-healed Abrams destroys it completely. T90 has no such weakspot ... the most a single C4 pack will do to a T90 is 87 damage.

LordKelvin
03-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Dropping a C4 on the main hatch of either one also kills it instantly.