PDA

View Full Version : TvT Falcon's Firefight Ruins

Militant
05-10-2010, 02:56 PM
I was very happy to hear that in that TvT match a lot of people had fun and were entertained by it.I think those Firefight scenarios can create for some of the best TvT match's.I liked the fact that it wasn't over right away when one squad reached the objective, and with the right terrain in these missions, good positions can be taken up to engage the opposite side from a good distance away and it creates exactly what the title say's, a firefight.

Those 4 Opfor guys that were unloading on the ruined barn were FT1 from Alpha.Impulse was FT1 lead (Who did an excellent job),along with Tommy and Ral (who also did an excellent job working as a team) and I who was playing as the Alpha Leader,were all under the command of MassaQuil,and we were ordered to try and flank and preferably get to the rear of Bluefor.At one point we had eyes on Blufor from a tree line on their flank as Bluefor looked away, and then after it seemed like me and another guy on the opposite team were looking at each other through our binos.Both sides at this point were to far to engage.Impulse got his orders on where to move with his Fireteam Tommy and Ral, and they began to move through some bushes and flanked around towards Bluefor's rear while closing the distance on them, and I remained in place for the moment to keep eyes on Bluefor.As Bluefor moved, I moved to rally with FT1 and the 4 of us were now behind Bluefor and about 1 to 2 tree lines away.The only thing that prevented us from getting a view on Bluefor was the slope of the hill we were now on.The slope of the hill was a curse, but Impulse had a good idea on using it to our advantage to move around and try to flank Bluefor from the lower end of the slope to catch the opposition off guard, and we rolled with that plan.We were now on a down slope of the hill and Bluefor occupied the high end of the Hill in a tree line with their backs to us, not to far from the objective.After holding to catch our breaths for the charge and close quarters fighting we were preparing to commit to, (if we had bayonets the order would have been given to fix them on the end of the rifles, we were looking to get close and personal lol), we flipped our rifles to full auto and got ourselves into a line formation and started to move up to where Bluefor was.As we moved smoke was dropped by Bluefor and someone mentioned that they saw Bluefor moving away on our right flank, so we quickly ran to where the smoke was dropped to possible catch any Bluefor off guard that remained behind.From there we new exactly where Bluefor was and we were still hot on their tails in pursuit.We moved to line up in a tree line that gave us a view on the Objective Bluefor is currently holding and then comms lite up with I got targets talk.I gave the order to "light them up and let Bluefor have it", and simultaneously as the order was given and without hesitation, FT1 started shooting and unloading a very enormous and satisfying rate of fire at Bluefor and the intense firefight now begins.

Me personally after looking back, I saw where I made a mistake and paid for it on my part.Hindsight is always 20/20 and if i had my time back I would have played that differently during that intense firefight at the objective.I felt as though I pushed to close after the engagement began and should have held and kept firing from the tree line where we opened up at.The other thing that made me kick myself in the rear, is the fact that i was a Grenadier and I wasted my grenade rounds earlier trying to hit Bluefor in the distance.That was a dream scenario for grenades and as I got to impetuous and pushed up to the bush near Bluefor, still in the get close mind frame, I realized that I had nothing to throw or shoot at Bluefor that explodes.I then started to line up shots and just missed some Bluefor as some ran from cover to cover, but as I got one Bluefor lined up perfectly in my Iron sights and pulled the trigger, all i heard was the dreaded click click click.My last thoughts were "this is not a good time for that" and as I was reloading I caught a bullet that brought to me my end.I would later learn that I was killed by Beta who fired blind at the bush area i was at and his precautionary fire proved to be well placed and judged.

So what i believe would have won us that firefight, was if I still had my grenade rounds at the end and played my role as a grenadier during that engagement, and if we were to stay in the tree line unloading bullets at bluefor who we could see and target, we probably would have lasted longer and won it.Instead we attacked the superior force because I think we still had the Bayonet mentality and were committed to it lol.

Impulse had everyone wide eyed who were in spectator mode watching.He managed to crawl up to the side of the wall of rocks Bluefor was lined up behind, and if Impulse got on one knee and faced South (I think South) he would have been able to mow down all Bluefor in one neat and tidy line with his rifle on auto lol.But due to the long grass Impulse could not see Bluefor who are almost close enough to touch and Bluefor could not see Impulse and Bluefor broke away from the line they had.Some Bluefor would pass right by Impulse and all the dead men watching in spectator mode would gasp.In the end Impulse did manage to get into a firing position where he shot 2 men down who were side by side behind the wall made of rocks, but as Impulse pulled away and tried to crawl away to another location, a Bluefor found him and probably could have stomped him if he could, because he was basically on top of Impulse looking at him.For some reason the trigger didn't get pullet yet on Impulse, might have been because they were admiring the situation or because they could not believe at that specific moment, that, that was the enemy crawling in front of them, but after Impulse crawled a little further into some bushes to conceal himself, Bluefor quickly reacted and squeezed the trigger and Impulse was shot dead at almost point blank range.

The game ended with Bluefor as the victors, but it was good to hear that even though we were shot down as Opfor in the final moments that we were able to produce an enjoyable moment that made the encounter fun.

Good Game and Great job on Bluefor's part in holding the Objective.Bluefor did an overall great job that earned them the victory.I think these were the first TvT firefights I played the other night and I can tell that they will grow on me.Good job on creating the mission, Falcon it was fun.

ForGlory&Pain
05-10-2010, 03:02 PM
you wasted a lot of grenades on us, I was jealous, I tried to lob one at you, only to have it hit a tree, then realized on my next lob all i was sending (on target too) was flares lol. 1 40mm..,, but hey, i had a LOT of smoke!

Falcon_262
05-10-2010, 04:35 PM
you wasted a lot of grenades on us, I was jealous, I tried to lob one at you, only to have it hit a tree, then realized on my next lob all i was sending (on target too) was flares lol. 1 40mm..,, but hey, i had a LOT of smoke!

Well the platoon commanders gotta mark stuff... I believe that's in the job description.

Oh and glad you guys enjoyed the TvT I'll get a few more out maybe on Wednesday with different types of terrain. However I would appreciate some feedback on the whole no-respawn thing personally I like that it keeps them short and decisive but I was wondering what everyone's idea is about maybe incorporating a respawn mechanic.

ForGlory&Pain
05-10-2010, 04:38 PM
only had 1 yellow 40mm smoke. hand throwing is usefull for marking "hey guys, we're about to be overrun and are falling back!" lol.

tyrspawn
05-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Blufor needs more 40mm HE grenades, we were getting pelted by the opfor and had no means to respond.

I ghosted 5 suckas with my rifle though, so it's all good.

ForGlory&Pain
05-10-2010, 05:05 PM
respawn in hesco jail that only opens every so often is probably the easiest to implement a "reinforcement" structure. That or a paradrop function that works from inside this jail on a global timer.

Have so many tickets, and a timer as primary end condition with a "all units killed, all tickets gone" as a secondary end trigger. Scale the tickets so rounds are averaging 30-45 mins before end timer hits and an hour. (or less if you want faster)

Would also be nice if it auto-reassigned at map end so you are right back at the slot screen instead of the summary and then the lobby sim.

Militant
05-10-2010, 05:56 PM
In my honest opinion no respawns would be best.Getting one shot at making a plan and executing it is realistic and it doesn't seem like these firefights will go on for hours,so whoever joins late won't be waiting for a whole operation to finish.Even in spectating mode they are fun to watch and without respawns it could make for some very cunning and decisive gameplay.

Our respawn mechanic can be starting a new firefight mission when the previous mission ends :)

Impulse 9
05-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Re-balance out hand and 203/gp25 grenade load outs, smoke and the like and this would have been perfect. It honestly sounded like as OpFor we had double to triple the load of explosives that BluFor did. Personally I know that I had used 10x GP25 as harassment/suppression as opposed to actual engagement rounds. As for sneaking up, I did quite a few things wrong, keeping the AK was the first, using my hand grenades earlier and throwing out all my smoke. But that round reminded me a ton of how the old Obergan Gap TVT's ran. This is what has been missing from TG TVT maps ... and it was good to play it again.

tyrspawn
05-10-2010, 07:50 PM
In my honest opinion no respawns would be best.Getting one shot at making a plan and executing it is realistic and it doesn't seem like these firefights will go on for hours,so whoever joins late won't be waiting for a whole operation to finish.Even in spectating mode they are fun to watch and without respawns it could make for some very cunning and decisive gameplay.

Our respawn mechanic can be starting a new firefight mission when the previous mission ends :)

?

There is no respawn.

ForGlory&Pain
05-10-2010, 07:58 PM
falcon edited his post looking for respawn mechanic input (if desired).

A quick and dirty cut/paste of this scenario in different locations of chernarus (or other islands) will also increase the replay and be relatively easy to do.