http://bit.ly/auFcbL

NS2 Alpha 1 content

One of our shipping maps (ns2_tram), plus some smaller "test" maps
Marine, with Rifle, Pistol, SwitchAx, Grenade Launcher
Skulks, Gorges, Lerks and their basic movement abilities and weapons
Marine armory "buy" screen for purchasing new equipment
Alien evolution menu for choosing your lifeform and upgrades
Basic marine and alien commander interfaces including MACs, Drifters
Much of our final sounds, artwork, animations, etc.

Maybe we can get a TG server up? Would be cool to get the TG NS2 community going early like it was with the old NS. *dusts off donate button*

Flarfignuggen
07-14-2010, 03:30 AM
Yeah, saw the twitter announcement yesterday and was pleased. Then of course, the actual announcement today... :D Of course, I also predicted the inevitable dumbass that got the bright idea to effectively DDoS them due to over-excitement for said announcement.

That all said, I'm going to laugh when tons of threads crop up, whining about how the game isn't perfectly optimized or is missing content despite the announcement describing exactly to expect that...as it's an alpha.

Donat
07-14-2010, 01:02 PM
Sweet! Can't wait. Don't know if they'll let you make dedicated servers till the beta or something I thought they said.

aeroripper
07-14-2010, 06:33 PM
Hmm I saw one of the devs replied in thread that on alpha release the game probably won't have dedicated servers. Might have to just use hamachi with listen servers.

verbose
07-14-2010, 07:12 PM
You can bet your sweet dollars that I'll be playing NS2 somewhere come the 26th (*cough cough* I think I'm starting to feel a sick-day coming on already...), with every intention of making that "somewhere" TGNS with a Supporting Membership! Someone go get Keres, Wyz, korm, Yer Mom, Poker, Tempest, micro, V!per, FeniX, root, al, Wild, jugger, Polska, jackel, sniper, Ender, cavedog, Rampage, Tempus, HSantal, Cing, cookie, Syn, HairyNevus, Yellow-Asterisk, kerostasis, Zephyr, Apo, morose, violentsquirrel, spyder, DON.MAC, Nightfire, Mateo, j, Miko, NothingMore, Wintermute, Cobra, Sasuke, Daxx, billybob, and all the other old regulars that I'm forgetting.

And I think we need to revive [TR]...

aeroripper
07-14-2010, 08:30 PM
I'm imagining listen servers probably won't have more than 6 or so players since people will be hosting on their home connections.

Spyder
07-15-2010, 12:14 AM
I'm imagining listen servers probably won't have more than 6 or so players since people will be hosting on their home connections.

Might be able to rig a listen on a DS for better connectivity, just have the server-as-host sit idle the entire time.

aeroripper
07-15-2010, 01:06 PM
Looks like we will be able to host dedicated servers:

Regarding the NS2 dedicated server (win32) - that should ship with our alpha as well. Linux will come later. YES, you can run mods! :)

Donat
07-15-2010, 01:54 PM
Yay! Can't wait to see a TGNS server again.

usererror
07-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Count me in. This is going to be pretty fantastic.

Pokerface
07-18-2010, 01:22 AM
I'm going to see if we can find some spare cycles SOMEWHERE here at TG to see what we might be looking at, server-wise. In the absence of that (or maybe with it, too), I draw your attention to the Steam group called "Tactical Gamer NS Waiting Room (TGNS WR)".

Polska
07-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Dang, 1 day before Starcraft 2 comes out. Ah well, at least I will get to play it for a night (maybe).

Spyder
07-18-2010, 06:48 PM
I'm going to see if we can find some spare cycles SOMEWHERE here at TG to see what we might be looking at, server-wise. .

If you've got no space available for the alpha I've still got the server space I gave to Wyz to set up the NS1 server on, which is already set up with ftp and whatnot. A solid Plan B if you want your own place to play and the powers that be decide that supporting an Alpha isn't going to fly.

WatchMaker
07-18-2010, 10:30 PM
As an old regular of the TGNS servers, I'd totally be up for a NS2 Alpha server with all the same people again. Some of the best gaming I've ever participated in went down on Saturday nights in the TGNS server. I'd love to see TGNS2 Captain games more than Episode 3.

RGM-79N_GM_CUstom
07-20-2010, 08:18 AM
I am down for the alpha we just need a server.

Iceberg
07-26-2010, 09:05 AM
I've been entirely too boring and inactive here. Hi guys! I can't wait to get some regular TG NS2 going grrrrrr.

Knappe
07-26-2010, 02:36 PM
As an old regular of the TGNS servers, I'd totally be up for a NS2 Alpha server with all the same people again. Some of the best gaming I've ever participated in went down on Saturday nights in the TGNS server. I'd love to see TGNS2 Captain games more than Episode 3.

Agreed. I would be down for playing some more captain games.

Polska
07-26-2010, 05:06 PM
Where is my alpha! I need something to keep my mind off starcraft until tomorrow

verbose
07-26-2010, 05:24 PM
Twitter feed entry from 2pm-something CDT http://twitter.com/NS2 says "Uploading the NS2 Alpha Steam depot to Valve... all 1 GB of it, wish we had a faster upload speed"

Flayra says access codes will be emailed at 6pm PDT: http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2010/7/ns2_alpha_tonight

zibalatz
07-26-2010, 06:20 PM
EDIT: I AM AN IDIOT, SEE VERBOSE'S POST

Um, so... yeah. Has anyone else tried it?

I lost faith in the NS' development abilities after the ridiculous website downtime. I vowed not to pre-purchase NS2 because of my loss of faith in their abilities and the fact that each update from the developers seemed to imply that they were building a game I was not interested in and/or making bad design decisions. All this said, I cracked and pre-purchased because the special-edition-allowing-access-to-alpha is not available after today. So I bought it. I downloaded it. I tried it. It seems to be completely broken. Only 1 server available with no one on it, so I presume no one is able to connect to it (I can't). Tried creating a lan game and after firing a machine gun bursting, the machine gun sound stayed on, looped indefinitely.

Not impressed, and I regret my decision to pre-purchase. They don't deserve my money.

verbose
07-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Zib, the alpha isn't available until later tonight. You were playing the pre-alpha engine demo. Please read the two links I posted above.

zibalatz
07-26-2010, 06:38 PM
i am an idiot

kormendi
07-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Fire up steam, folks, and let the downloading begin!

jack^
07-26-2010, 06:45 PM
yes!

Donat
07-26-2010, 07:53 PM
No playing till 9 pm EST thou!

Zephyr
07-26-2010, 08:23 PM
Its time to kick ass and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

-Zephyr

Boogalo
07-26-2010, 09:37 PM
argh, what a frustrating time for my video card to die. I'm looking forward to playing with you all again.

Skud
07-26-2010, 10:23 PM
This... is amazing. Nobody told me :(

And even with sites like Kotaku, I didn't know there was going to be an alpha.

Now I can't play with you guys until the beta hits.

I'm legitimately very very sad.

Sirusblk
07-27-2010, 12:42 AM
Had some issues with the game. Apparently all my files wouldn't update. I was missing misc. models, textures, data files, etc. I verified files, restarted steam, deleted, reinstalled several times. Turns out Steam's server was to blame. They didn't have a complete file. If you're having issues and nothings working, change your download host. I was set to San Diego and it failed. I just switched to Los Angeles and everything looks much more promising :)

Deprecated
07-27-2010, 02:58 AM
Someone go get Keres, Wyz, korm, Yer Mom, Poker, Tempest, micro, V!per, FeniX, root, al, Wild, jugger, Polska, jackel, sniper, Ender, cavedog, Rampage, Tempus, HSantal, Cing, cookie, Syn, HairyNevus, Yellow-Asterisk, kerostasis, Zephyr, Apo, morose, violentsquirrel, spyder, DON.MAC, Nightfire, Mateo, j, Miko, NothingMore, Wintermute, Cobra, Sasuke, Daxx, billybob, and all the other old regulars that I'm forgetting.

OOOH! ME! PICK ME!

--Dep

Edit: I have a small army of servers located in Chicago, one dedicated NS2 server is already spoken for (Madcap if anyone remembers him), but I'm planning on having 1-2 more up and running. Wouldn't mind handing it/them over to TG to admin considering I live out of the country now and would myself only be able to offer sporadic maintenance and sadly sporadic play myself.

verbose
07-28-2010, 10:53 PM
NS2 twitter feed says they should have the first alpha patch out tomorrow morning (29th).

"It looks like we've resolved the "connection spamming" issue, as well as the other pressing connectivity bugs. Wahoo!"

snooggums
07-29-2010, 04:15 PM
I hope one of the fixes allows my actions and sounds to not happen a second later than they should. only movement is responsive and while I show 30+ FPS in r_stats I have the appearance of 4 or 5 FPS and I think the two issues are related.

verbose
07-31-2010, 06:36 PM
Changelog for the 7/29 patch: http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2010/7/ns2_alpha_patch_released

Eclipse
08-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Few questions for my old mate's here:

If I pre-order the normal addition (Shame I finally have funds now that special edition is cancelled) can I still hop in on the alpha?

Is the alpha playable? (This is pretty broad, if anybody remembers version 1.0 of NS it was playable but not much else :D)

kormendi
08-10-2010, 11:47 AM
The company line has been that the special edition gets first, rather than exclusive, access to the alpha, so I imagine they'll be opening it up in the future.

The alpha is playable, but there really isn't a game to play. You can command, talk over voip, build structures, buy guns, shoot stuff... but hit registration is nearly non existent and much of the game play features that allows for an enjoyable game from start to end are missing. No alien upgrades, no fade, no onos, skeleton marine tech tree, no jp, no heavy armor... pretty much what you'd expect from the first version of an alpha.

Sirusblk
08-10-2010, 07:04 PM
It's an alpha, not beta, and not a release. To put it into context, it's not just unbalanced and unfun, it's down right half missing.

Spyder
08-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Build 151 is out, server is updated, called NPA NS2 etc. password is tg.

Build notes:
Technical

* Fixed animation choppiness on player models
* Fixed client-side and server-side memory leaks
* Fixed bug where pressing Enter in the password dialog would append an invalid character to the password
* Fixed bug where the server browser (after starting a game) only listed LAN servers
* Fixed bug where using the subtractive blend mode for effects would somteimes corrupt the rendering
* Fixed bug where binding a server to a specific IP address would fail
* Fixed non-QWERTY or US keyboard layouts not working properly
* Fixed tilde for opening the console on some keyboards
* Fixed num lock not working when typing
* Fixed bug where Decoda would not properly launch a mod that had spaces in the directory name
* Fixed assert/crash when loading levels with certain types of concave faces
* Fixed bug where error messages would be reported incorrectly when a base class for a Lua class was not found
* Fixed timing discrepancies between the server and client when player input was processed (fixes shooting moving enemies)
* Fixed bug where the physics system was not properly reporting the material of hit surfaces
* Fixed bug where the disconnect message was printed multiple times in the log on the client when a server was shutdown
* Fixed bug where the mouse cursor was sometimes hidden in the main menu when a client was disconnected from the server
* Added keyboard repeat rate when typing
* Added additional error messages when a client disconnects from the server
* Added texture quality option to editor's general settings
* Added support for setting string material parameters on RenderModels
* Added the ability to connect to a server with a password from the console
* Added "sound_debug 1" in "dev" mode for finding sound problems (helpful for mod authors)
* Changed the cursor color in Deco/da to be the inverse of the background color
* Synchronized the "fullscreen" check box with the current window state
* Added Overview application for generating minimaps

Game

* Added doors. They open and close for players, but can also be "hacked" by a marine Commander. They can also be locked (locks will be able to be destroyed by alien growth in the future).
* New Commander tooltips that show you cost, requirements, cost, for most upgrades, structures and abilities.
* Fixed many sound problems (ricochets, spawn sounds, etc.).
* Fixed problem with running out of spawn points and falling through the world
* Fixed problem where multiple upgrades of the same type couldn't be performed (ie, more than one advanced armory).
* Alien morphing is no longer instant - you turn into an egg and go third-person for a time.
* Can no longer recycle occupied Command Stations.
* Commanders never collide with anything.
* Gorge spit and spray now fire instantly (you don't have to switch "modes").
* Added parasite ability to Skulk! Hive sight isn't currently enabled though.
* Marines no longer start with an infantry portal - they must build one. Infantry Portals must be built near a Command Station.
* Hives start with 3 Drifters and Command Stations start with 2 MACs.
* Marines can now help build structures like in NS1 (needs audio/visual effects still).
* Scoreboard now shows colored numbers instead of colored bars.
* Fixed problem where new hives didn't visually smash through tech point.
* Added commander hotkeys (but only working for alien Commander at the moment).
* Fixed problem where non-Commanding marines didn't get killed when closed in a Command Station.
* Added death animations and ragdolls to most structures and players.
* Fixed many commander icons.

Assets

* Many updated sound effects and updated reverb settings.
* ns2_tram updates.
* Many new MAC voiceovers and tuned him to be less repetitive.
* Added rifle sound variations.
* More sci-fi rifle reload, better sounding shotgun fire.
* Added sound variations and improvements to Gorge and Lerk.

Spyder
10-27-2010, 06:34 PM
Build 152 is out. Updating the server now (NPA NS2.....) password: tg, changelog as follows:

The NS2 Alpha Build 152 is now live on Steam! This patch represented a large engineering effort, to make the physics, networking and hit registration work much better.

Here's a summary of the changes:

* Fixed hit registration problems
* Fixed various "hitching" problems
* New commander minimap, with "blips"
* New dedicated server web interface
* A dozen or so new view model animations
* Added alien "Crag" structure
* Added sound occlusion so sounds behind walls/objects sound muffled
* New marine Commander "Replicate" ability - instantly duplicates a built marine structure
* Context-sensitive mouse cursors
* Commander alerts
* Marine squads, order giving and waypoints
* Hive sight
* Much better Lerk flight
* Bullet spread like NS1
* Drifter "flare" ability that blinds marines (will require research)
* Soundscape filters when you are hurt, spectating, etc.
* Low health screen effects
* Marine power grid - Power nodes on walls power lights and marine structures. Damaging power nodes causes lights to flicker, hurting them a lot causes lights to power cycle ominously and killing them makes the lights go out for a bit, before switching to aux. power and coming back on to limited usage. Marine structures power down and stop working when power node is destroyed, and come back online when repaired.
* Added marine flamethrower
* Bullet tracers
* Skulk bite now connects more often (capsule trace instead of line)
* Reworked ns2_tram expansion, vents and lots of polish

For the exhaustive change list (there are hundreds of entries), go here.

We'll see you on the servers for a bit, then it's back to working on the next release! We have tons more in the works for you and we're planning on releasing our patches much more often from now on.

...You're Squad 5!

Spyder
11-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Updated server to BV153, which was an optimization patch.

Spyder
11-16-2010, 11:48 PM
Updated server to BV 154

changelog: We just submitted the new build of the NS2 alpha to Valve so it should be auto-updating shortly!

Technical
# Changed collision detection to use the Havok engine
# Optimized trace ray and sweep capsule tests
# Fixed bug where keys could get stuck down after a frame hitch
# Fixed bug where players could not be removed from the scoreboard after they left the game
# Fixed bug where bots would not be properly removed from the server
# Fixed crash on exit when trying to run the game without Steam running
# Fixed bug where particle systems weren't properly occlusion culled
# Fixed hardware cursors not being properly released on shutdown
# Fixed bugs with the occlusion culling system not properly determining if something is visible
# Changed the "Couldn't Connect" error message to be more descriptive
# Added net_messages console command to log network messages received
# Added r_gui console command to enable/disable drawing the GUI
# Added the ability to include PROFILE markers in script code
# Added support for Lua GUIs on models (i.e. ammo display on the Rifle)

Gameplay
# Completely re-did marine, alien and "shared" (waypoints, chat, death messages, etc.) interfaces in Lua (was in flash). You should see noticeable frame-rate improvements.
# Added very basic bots for load testing ("dev 1" at server, "addbots #" or "removebots #"
# Armory "buy" menu fully client-side now so it's much more responsive
# Hydras now build smoothly
# MACs and Drifters now cost energy to produce (further eliminating spam and overly simplistic defense)
# Sentries turn off completely without power
# Power nodes have almost-dead and dead electricity/sparking effects
# Reduced number of network messages and footstep sounds dramatically
# Networking optimizations
# Power nodes work on level change
# Structure flinch animations fixed
# Changing weapons as marine is now faster and more reponsive
# Added basic pathing for bots (when commanding)
# Fixed MAC welding effects
# Skulk leap now requires research (on the Whip, coming soon)
# Fixed "doubling up" of some sounds

Also, here's the changelog from the previous version which we released previously (Build 153):

Technical

# Fixed the net_lag console command
# Fixed the player limit on servers
# Fixed bug where the server could send two updates with the same time
# Fixed bug where attempting to connect to a nonexistent server would not properly fail
# Fixed issue where time would not advance uniformly on the client causing motion to appear jerky
# Fixed bug where disconnecting and then reconnecting to a server could put the game in an incorrect state
# Fixed bug where clients sometimes couldn't move when when connected to a server
# Added support for extrapolation past the last update from the server
# Added a timeout for authenticating with the Steam servers
# Added displaying the average server tick rate with the net_stats console command

Gameplay

# Fixed problem where infinite MACs and Drifters could be built and cause problems (now limited to 25 units in an area)
# Fixed power node in tram marine expansion
# Power nodes can be repaired properly again
# Fixed extractor multiple upgrade bugs
# Fixed hive sight drawing incorrectly
# Fixed sentry accuracy problems
# Fixed lowered server CPU performance when using sentries
# Fixed problem with power nodes on map reset
# Fixed missing text tooltips for commander UIs
# Fixed build harvester problem from gestate menu
# Fixed death message weirdness
# Fixed ns2_junction minimap
# Changed power nodes to pulse red when out of power (makes it more obvious)