View Full Version : NS2 Beta tomorrow (Nov 19th)
11-18-2010, 07:24 PM
For those who havn't played the alpha, don't expect much. Even though they've made some pretty big strides in the recent patches, I'm pretty sure they are doing this to get some more money. The game just isn't there yet.
11-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Apparently its live on steam now. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but feedback on the NS2 forum seems far more positive than with previous builds.
11-19-2010, 12:48 PM
I haven't checked the forums nor booted up Steam in forever. Good timing on my part. I'll try and load Steam to check in on the beta. If I'm on, feel free to hit me up.
11-19-2010, 01:46 PM
Server's been updated to the beta build, BV155.
You guys'll have to let me know if you want me to pull the password on it.
11-20-2010, 01:07 AM
There's a server memory leak that's pretty bad right now. They're actively working on a patch.
11-20-2010, 09:44 AM
I haven't managed to join a server with players on it yet, but it looks fun. :)
11-21-2010, 01:39 AM
I'm more concerned about the CPU leak. One empty server takes up 80% of a core on my rig (2.66GHZ) which is waaay high for a game server.
11-21-2010, 02:07 PM
I played for about 10 minutes today. It was a bunch of chaos and no one knew what they were doing, but it was really fun. The server performance took a dive around the 10 minute mark and a few minutes later crashed.
Even at its early state, I think the game is going to be quite enjoyable once they get the server problems sorted out.
11-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Looks like there is another patch coming tonight sometime. I've been able to play some full rounds on ns2_rockdown without it crashing as long as people don't spam hydras/turrets all over the map. Game will be much better once the laginess is resolved and servers can support larger player numbers with ease. Looking forward to the next few months after the lag/fps/network stuff is fixed up and the actual game gets fleshed out.
11-22-2010, 08:21 PM
I've been able to play some full rounds on ns2_rockdown without it crashing as long as people don't spam hydras/turrets all over the map.
It gets kind of tiresome to have something interesting going then find that there's been a gorge dropping 3 hydras at every resource node. Then of course, when that discovery is made.... *server crash*...
11-22-2010, 09:15 PM
156 is out to steam, which means it should be live in the next hour or three. I will update the server today if it does, otherwise tomorrow morning. Patch notes:
NS2 Build 156
* Fixed server crashes
* Fixed server growing memory usage
* Fixed "can't connect" issues - there may still be some issues here but it should be much better
* Added very basic loading progress
* You can now see if a server is full in the server browser
* Fixed stuck problem when evolving into a bigger lifeform (won't let you do it if not enough room)
* Fixed problem with Fades occasionally getting stuck when blinking
* Improved network performance, especially around hydras and projectiles
* Fixed problem with MAC and Drifter sounds being heard when they shouldn't be
* Updated center tech point on rockdown to fix errors
* Fixed script console errors
* Fixed Fade animations while stabbing and moving
* Optimized Hydra target acquisition
* Removed collision geometry from some maps that shouldn't be seen
* Fixed missing marine flamethrower animations
* Rifle melee now hits reliably (not urgent but snuck in there)
We hope this solves the biggest issues you guys are having, especially around server stability and connection problems. If not, please let us know on the forums or GetSatisfaction.
Now we're off for some rest and relaxation and are looking forward to coming back rejuvenated! We hope you can get some good games in over this holiday week.
Thanks again for your support and patience everyone. And for those that observe it have a great Thanksgiving.
11-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Servers updated to 166. Must've been one of the early ones, as I had like 8 connections to it the instant it finished loading, sheesh.
11-23-2010, 12:22 AM
We played for a few hours tonight and I don't think the server crashed once. The game is very much playable now. Could be a lot smoother and balance is non existant, but its still pretty fun.
11-24-2010, 04:18 PM
balance is non existant
Whaddya mean "non existant"?! Aliens destroy Marines right up until Flamethrowers appear, then the scales flip the other way. Totally balanced, over time! :row__542:
That said, the game's performance thus far is fairly impressive. I do love the whole having to explain the real versions of "beta" and "alpha" to people repeatedly, though.
11-26-2010, 07:52 PM
game is pretty laggy for me. low fps even on the low settings which makes the game kinda unplayable. =/ wish they had more video options to tweak.
11-26-2010, 08:33 PM
try setting "r_shadows 0" in the console. "r_stats" will show your current fps.
11-27-2010, 05:09 AM
Whether or not my machine is representative... I've had good luck setting the game to 1280x800 windowed on "high" detail (whatever the hell that means). I haven't changed it since setting it there on a lark way-back-when but it can probably be improved upon.
12-02-2010, 08:22 PM
New patch in the pipeline, will update the server when it hits (doesn't appear to have yet) or tomorrow AM if it doesn't drop in a reasonable amount of time. Changelog:
* Reduced flamethrower direct damage from 50 to 35 and clip size 25 to 20
* Grenades now bounce when they don't hit a target and explode after a few seconds. Grenades no longer hurt targets through walls.
* Grenades can now hurt firer
* Reduced grenade damage radius from 10 to 8 (mostly so you don't hurt yourself constantly)
* Changed starting resources from 100 carbon (team) and 25 plasma (each player) to 50 carbon and 25 plasma
* Added special first-person flamethrower effects when you're on fire (they don't obscure the screen)
* Grenade now looks like it's coming out of the barrel instead of your face
* Focus on back on marine building: Marine commander starts with no MACs, MACsnow build a lot slower than players and added +use effects for building marines (your view model doesn't go away at the moment, but it will soon)
* Removed marine "Replicate" ability (doesn't fit the marines new focus back on player-building)
* MACs cost more energy to make and take 2x as much damage to kill
* Fixed bug where players that died while on fire spawned on fire
* Changed Crags to not self-heal and to heal every 2 seconds instead of every 1 second (this is how DCs worked in NS1)
* Rewrote marine sentries to function more like miniguns. They are nasty now, watch out! Fixed sound, animation and targeting problems with them.
* Increased sentry build time from 7 to 15 because a) they are awesome and b) there's no turret factory
* Sentries now cost 20 plasma (Commander) instead of 10 carbon
* Changed Hydra cost from 5 plasma to 10
* Fixed bug where plasma was being checked before letting players evolve, but wasn't being deducted (!)
* Fade blink ghost model no longer warps and no longer orients to face targets unless very close to them
* Added smooth skulk rotation when going on and off walls. Reduced interpenetration of skulk model with the world.
* Added team carbon and individual plasma display to the scoreboard
* MASCs are now known as ARCs (but not in the game yet)
* Revamped marine commander UI buttons to be simpler and more evenly distributed. Added uniform top bar of buttons that allows you to always easily access Build, Advanced, Assist + Squads (more like NS1)
* Moved marine armor2/ammo2 to tier 2 (Command Facility) and armor3/ammo3 to tier 3 (Command Center)
* Ammo packs now remove parasite
* Sentries, hydras, MACs and Drifters now always hit structures, no matter what animation or state they are in
* Capped structure innate regeneration at .5% of structure max health per second so eggs don't count up like crazy
* Fixed alien structure innate regeneration
* Alien innate regeneration now heals a minimum of 1 health (like NS1)
* Added regeneration sound whenever an alien entity gets healed
* Brightened "out of power" red lighting a bit
* Fixed problems with rogue sounds being heard when they weren't supposed to
* Lots of smaller bug fixes (death message icons, animations, etc.)
* Fixed bug where the game could not be run without a sound card
* Fixed bug where the game would not always shutdown on exit (process would continue to run)
* Fixed bug a new game couldn't be joined after leaving a game
* Fixed "connection issues" when first joining a game
* Fixed bug where clients could timeout during the loading process
* Fixed disconnect messages on the server not indicating when a client times out
* Converted the pistol ammo display to use Lua instead of Flash (optimization)
* Converted the shotgun ammo display to use Lua instead of Flash (optimization) and fixed reserve ammo display
* Better Fade swipe hit sounds on various materials, better marine structure generic death sound. level tweeks + fall offs on organic ricochets. louder sentry sounds.
* Detail pass of Alien Expansion (ns2_tram)
* Fixed visible clipping geometry outside alien start (ns2_tram)
* Fixed map leak exploits (ns2_rockdown)
12-04-2010, 12:18 PM
bv158 out, just a quicky before the weekend, Updating server now.
Build 158 changelog
* Hydra server optimizations (this should help but probably not fix completely)
* Hydras now fire at the proper point on targets (esp. for infantry portal, command station)
* Changed most marine structure build times to be the same as in NS1
* Fixed problem where power nodes sometimes made lights red even when they were functioning
* Fixed intermittent black screen during gameplay
* Fixed possible timeout when creating a listen server
* Fixed Fade "skating" animation problem
* Improved death messages (showing incorrect artwork or no killer name)
* First-person flamethrower effects and on-fire flamethrower effects (today, not yesterday)
12-11-2010, 01:14 AM
build 159 out. Updating servers now, we're very close to what I would consider a routinely playable beta (meaning having rounds that don't lag out and could be considered actual games)
Build 159 changelog
* Fixed footstep sounds and ricochet effects not playing properly because the material was unknown
* Improved client and server performance
* Added hot-loading support for Lua scripts
* Fixed gorge heal spray (actually effective now)
* Slowed resource production a lot to come closer to NS1 (estimating that NS1 teams spent ~50% of resources on weapons and health/ammo)
* Drifters now auto-heal
* Crags auto-heal drifters
* Hives start with 3 eggs, Masses 5 and Colonies 7
* Added hive mist effects
* Spawned structures should start at 0% built and end when 100% built
* Added whip attack sound
* New rifle sounds
* New alien commander sprites
12-11-2010, 08:15 AM
we're very close to what I would consider a routinely playable beta (meaning having rounds that don't lag out and could be considered actual games)
Agreed. I played for an hour or two last night and it definitely felt better. Hydras still cause problems in excess, but it takes far more to notice the server struggling than before.
12-21-2010, 07:35 PM
new build, updating server. Imagine this will take people a bit to get, what with the steam sale dominating their download bandwidth.
NS2 Build 160
* Fixed egg spawning so that players don't spawn in walls
* Fixed HUD damage indicators so that they point in the correct direction
* Fixed problem with IP not starting as built on map reset
* Fixed bug where the commander UI being on the screen after logging out/game ending
* Fixed players being blinded when they were hit by the flamethrower
* Fixed bug where the player would fire immediately after closing the armory buy menu
* Fixed bug where an armory would become unusable
* Fixed bug where you didn't start with the correct weapon on spawn
* Fixed problem with weapons being deleted after a time
* Fixed bug where players could use structures on the other team
* Fixed bug where pre-placed IPs weren't present after being destroyed and then the map reset
* Fixed bugs where tooltips were played at weird times
* Improved the blood and flamethrower effects
* Added more variations for environment steam and water drip effects
* Added afterburner jets for MAC
* Improved the usability of the commander minimap
* Added research complete alerts on the minimap
* Added scene pre-processing to the loading process to reduce hitches when moving throughout the world
* Removed the jetpack from the UI until it's released
* Added pre-game where players are frozen during countdown
* Added the ability to tweak the sorting of nearby emitters with a "sort order" property
* Reduced Fade armor from 150 to 100
* Reduced backward speed for marines (now 40% of max movement speed, like NS1)
* Reworked marine weapon firing to be much tighter and (in theory) exactly like NS1
* Made weapon switching much more responsive
* Sentries now take 1/3 of the time to spin up
* Players get points for building structures
12-21-2010, 07:38 PM
Aaaand they broke the server for x64 server 2008. Server down for the time being.
12-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Aaaaand i fixed it, servers up.
01-11-2011, 11:05 PM
New revision, updating servers as we speak.
Build 161 Change Log
* Rewrote marine Commander UI (now all Lua, not Flash) for massively improved frame rate for the Marine Commander!
* Changed Marines to put away their weapon when building
* Added data-driven effect system for artists
* (EffectManager.lua and *Effects.lua) New marine expansion room on ns2_tram
* Fixed timeout when creating a local server
* Fixed crash when Lua code performed an invalid operation
* Fixed the alien tech tree so the Whips have the proper prerequisites melee 1 > melee 2 > melee 3 (thanks Enceladus)
* Fixed observatory buttons to not be active until the observatory is built (thanks Enceladus)
* Fixed Crag upgrade menu not having a back button (thanks Enceladus)
* Fixed Skulk leap prediction issues
* Flamethrower look-up/look-down 3rd person animations fixed
* Fixed texture lock in the Editor
* Fixed bug where a WebRequest response was limited to 8192 characters
* Fixed exploit where an embryo would slide if the alien was moving prior to gestating
* Fixed bug where looking straight up and moving forwards would cause the player to move backwards
* Fixed bug where looking straight down and firing the pistol would cause the view to flip
* Fixed Alien "structure under attack" alerts not properly displaying
* Fixed bug where Aliens could use the Armory
* Fixed bug where Special Edition black armor didn't show up in the ready room
* Fixed Distress Beacon not working
* Fixed prediction issues with weapon unholstering
* Fixed bug where a Marine could obtain all of the weapons simultaneously
* Fixed commander tool tips not displaying the proper resource requirements (carbon, plasma, etc.)
* Fixed armor bug which was causing marines to be killed in 2 bites instead of 3 (thanks Harimaru)
* Fixed bug where the bots wouldn't use the current target's location to move/aim
* Fixed bug where bots would stop acting after they had killed their target
* Fixed bug where "create" command created 2 entities instead of 1
* Fixed bug where aliens could escape the map or get stuck in walls while evolving
* Fixed bug where clicking with Commander ghost selected the unit underneath (meaning you can support with med/ammo much easier now)
* Fixed Sentries not being able to see targets very close to it (now "sees" out of the camera on the model)
* Fixed bug where infantry portal wouldn't wait full spawn time before spawning players
* Added drawing commander buttons in red when they are available but you don't have enough resources
* Added the ability to drop weapons as a Marine (weapon pickup will be in a future patch)
* Added culling of lights when they have zero intensity (optimizes bullet impact effects)
* Added flashlight key binding (thanks Enceladus)
* Added support for joining a friend's game through the Steam UI
* Added the ability to get a player's Steam ID in script
* Added a parasite indicator on the Marine HUD
* Increased the brightness of the flashlight
* Changed marine and alien spawn timing (marines take 10 seconds to spawn at IP, eggs take 9 seconds)
* Changed the master server query port to be port+1 instead of being hard-coded to 27016
* Changed the names of parasited team-mates to be drawn in yellow in the HUD
* Tightened rifle cone of fire from 4 degrees to 3 degrees to make it feel more like NS1
* Added new alien and marine blood effects
Its good they are keeping the updates coming. But it looks like we'll need at least Build 180 or 190 for the lag fix.
Quick question: is the automated infestation still part of NS2?
01-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Not yet. I believe the official word is it will go in late in the beta.
01-17-2011, 03:45 PM
Any ETA or idea of when this will be a finished product?
01-19-2011, 07:52 PM
Officially? no. Based on the current updates? I expect October on the anniversary. Although, to be fair, they could fix the lag with the next patch and have a game-worthy product in 2 months. Lag is killing everything that badly.
I really feel that the Devs are working hard to get this out for fall :)
02-17-2011, 08:42 PM
163 is out, changelog is rather extensive, they have videos, go watch them?
02-21-2011, 09:00 PM
163 is out, changelog is rather extensive, they have videos, go watch them?
They're fixing bugs like mad, and still adding wicked features. I'm impressed by the speed of their progress.
So I've watched a bit of gameplay now... Looks like it's reached a very playable state? Looks like a game now!
Neg. Playable state still a ways away. The lag mentioned months back is still there. It's gotten a little better, but there are some fundamental issues that need to be resolved. I play this game maybe once every two weeks to see if it improves (for an hour).
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.