PDA

View Full Version : Reducing Pixalation in a TG Avatar?

E-Male
02-08-2011, 11:25 AM
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i367/mstrangelove/TG-UNInsigniaverfilmgrain.jpg

When I reduce the file size of my avatar to 100x100 it ends up less sharp -- more blurry looking (see my [TG-UN] avatar above).

Below is the original image. Any suggestions on how to render it as a sharper looking avatar image?

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i367/mstrangelove/TG-UNInsignia-1.jpg

Ferris Bueller
02-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Well, the text is pixelated pretty badly to begin with. You could try a bicubic sharper image size reduction in photoshop, but its not going to help a whole lot.

The big problem is that the text at the bottom is simply too small to reduce well. There are certain limitations for text size that wont allow it to reduce without massive pixelation,even if you do it at a ridiculously high DPI.

My best suggestion would be to bump the DPI up to 300 DPI on the original file (keeping the same simensions, which means you're going to be resampling the image rather than just resizing the DPI), remove your CO line from the bottom, move the TG-UN to it's place, increase the font size and then reducing it to 100x100. However, you're still going to get some pixelation. Just the name of the game.

Here, worked something up for you. Proper font sizing and some creative effects and shadowing significantly reduce pixelation while retaining your original idea.
http://www.mynameisalexander.com/TG/tgun.png

Skud
02-08-2011, 04:34 PM
jpg compression by my eyes.

I ALWAYS, ALWAYS use .png. It's a superior format.

Acreo Aeneas
02-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Ferris has a good starting suggestion of resampling to 300 DPI then reduce resolution, then resample back to 72 or 100 dpi (since it's going to be a web image). It'll help some, but I would still look for a better font. A lot of these serif fonts were never meant for small text and thus most people end up using a sans serif for smaller text due to their curves and easier pixel approximation vs. sharp lines and angles.

As for the compression, it really doesn't affect the pixelation in this case unless he were to to severely reduce image quality to below 50%. That's when compressed vs. uncompressed changes things a bit.

E-Male
02-09-2011, 04:41 PM
Thank you for all the suggestions, and special thanks to Ferris for the new improved avatar!

Check out the new sig file and slogan below.

MacLeod
02-09-2011, 04:48 PM
It works, but the text itself is still very pixelated and rough looking. I can try to make you one with better quality if you want. One of the main problems is probably that you are using it as a signature picture, rather then simply copying the tags from whatever site you uploaded it to. If you only put it as a signature image then it will not be as sharp.

EDIT - Try this:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg45/Darth_Napoleon/tg-un.jpg

Put this in your signature:

E-Male
02-09-2011, 05:24 PM
It works, but the text itself is still very pixelated and rough looking. I can try to make you one with better quality if you want. One of the main problems is probably that you are using it as a signature picture, rather then simply copying the tags from whatever site you uploaded it to. If you only put it as a signature image then it will not be as sharp.

EDIT - Try this:

Put this in your signature:

Will do. Could I trouble you for the same again as above, but with RED shadowing on the main text
TG United Nations
and without the squiggly bits you added on the left side?

And you are right -- looks better without a period at the end of OUT OF MANY, ONE

Allow me to send you a copy of my latest book by way of thanks.

MacLeod
02-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Here, I managed to get rid of the squigly thing on the left side, I must have thrown it in there when I meant to use another brush. At first I changed the drop shadow to red but the colors seemed to clash to me so I changed it back to black, but if you still want it red I can change it again.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg45/Darth_Napoleon/tg-un2.jpg

sordavie
02-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Some basic color theory for web media. http://www.colorsontheweb.com/colorcontrasts.asp

It's not that your image isn't sharp enough. The fuzziness is due to the red shadowing on blue background.

Your choice of a stencil font also contributes to blurriness. The text size at the bottom of the avatar is no smaller than the forum user info text right under it. It's just too small for that type of font.

E-Male
02-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Some basic color theory for web media. http://www.colorsontheweb.com/colorcontrasts.asp

It's not that your image isn't sharp enough. The fuzziness is due to the red shadowing on blue background.

Your choice of a stencil font also contributes to blurriness. The text size at the bottom of the avatar is no smaller than the forum user info text right under it. It's just too small for that type of font.

Thanks Sordavie. Over the past ten years of teaching advertising techniques and design to university students I frequently remind my students of the basic of colour theory, design rules, and the strategies of rule breaking in design.

I am going for a slightly blurry look and it will not degrade the readablity of signature image. I need to see both options before deciding (another basic design process...).

As to the readability of the text in the avatar, as it is reinforced by my name above it, and the signature below it, a little ambiguity here is tolerable. I do think the positioning of the text in the avatar could be shift upwards a bit, as it is a tad heavy on the bottom, but I am not about to trouble MacLeod with minor details -- his work is wonderful and I am most grateful.

Jeepo
02-11-2011, 07:16 PM
Emale, a real shame to see you shake of that 1stMIP logo, not many of us around these part any more, but congrats on the new IHS! :D

E-Male
02-11-2011, 11:46 PM
Emale, a real shame to see you shake of that 1stMIP logo, not many of us around these part any more, but congrats on the new IHS! :D

I will preserve the old 1st-MIP logo in a special place -- it means much to me. Very few people outside of the 1st-MIP really understand the meaning of teamwork or have experienced its full realization.

sordavie
02-12-2011, 01:23 PM
I Very few people outside of the 1st-MIP really understand the meaning of teamwork or have experienced its full realization.

That's a nice underhanded insult to everyone at TG. :(

E-Male
02-12-2011, 01:58 PM
That's a nice underhanded insult to everyone at TG. :(

And he takes the bait.

Ferris Bueller
02-12-2011, 02:18 PM
If that was bait, it was pretty effing good bait emale. When I read that, I had the same thought as he did coupled with "did he really just say that in public?" If you meant it to be facetious or sarcastic, you kinda have to tag it with or something because it doesnt come across well otherwise.

sordavie
02-12-2011, 02:21 PM
If that was bait, it was pretty effing good bait emale. When I read that, I had the same thought as he did coupled with "did he really just say that in public?" If you meant it to be facetious or sarcastic, you kinda have to tag it with or something because it doesnt come across well otherwise.

Or you could just appear to indicate that afterward as a face saving maneuver. But if it really was "bait," the only thing it really accomplished is to cheapen the statement that comes right before it. Or perhaps that was also some kind of sarcastic bait, for any former 1st members that might be reading.

Jack Bauer
02-12-2011, 03:59 PM
Well to be honest I kinda agree with Emale, I have always looked up to several IHS here at TG, the 6th being one of them....to me they take no qualms in saying what they feel if they see something that is not in-line with the TG code....

Some of us have gone away from our roots and it's good to see someone outspoken saying some tinge that need to be said in the forums, isn't what he is saying in the majority of his posts why TG was founded?

E-Male
02-12-2011, 04:46 PM
There is an elite unit in every military that rightly or wrongly considers itself superior. The 1st-MIP had a level of teamwork, discipline, and SOPs that is rarely encountered here. I have not played everywhere all the time, but I have yet to experience or witness many instances among TG's IHS that come close.

Yes, there is teamwork in TG, but not much of it is of the order established within the 1st-MIP. Something very unique was achieved there, and those who experienced it know (http://www.tacticalgamer.com/wiki/index.php/1stMIP_Comments) exactly what I am referring to.

One need not apologize for saying that something was excellent and rare when it was indeed precisely that. You will find the same sentiment among elite units of any military. By implication something that is excellent usually indicates that the other is average or very good. A post late at night was mine, and I could have finessed the wording more delicately, and I did try to edit is this morning (was closed to editing). I should have more carefully qualified my comment to the current observations I have made of BC2 which is notable as an environment that is generally seen to be less conducive to teamwork and tactical movement (although opinions of course vary on this).

Nonetheless, I do believe that it is correct to suggest that excellence in teamwork and its highest realizations are seldom found even within TG.

There is the rabble, the average IHS, and the extraordinary IHS. The 1st-MIP is not alone in it achieving extraordinary levels of teamwork, but its standard is rarely matched or seen.

Boot
02-12-2011, 11:47 PM
Or maybe we could consider that different people have different desires for what styles of play and teamwork they enjoy, and that those styles could be defined differently and achieved with high levels of excellence. And maybe several of those could exist within TG. You know, kind of an 'out of many, one' thing.

E-Male
02-13-2011, 01:11 AM
Or maybe we could consider that different people have different desires for what styles of play and teamwork they enjoy, and that those styles could be defined differently and achieved with high levels of excellence. And maybe several of those could exist within TG. You know, kind of an 'out of many, one' thing.

Indeed, there is certainly no one measure of pleasure. No one NECESSARY way to play or BEST way to play. I have never claimed necessary or best way. I completely respect those who wish simply to get alot of kills, or mess around for fun, or toss c4 and spam with AT/Gustav -- all within the TG primer.

I agree that one can achieve excellence in a particular style of play, and there are many styles and measures of excellence. What I claimed takes nothing away from these others modes of play and their particular measures of excellence.

I know many excellent C4 spammers and run&gunners, many excellent at CBQ, many far better at fragging me than I of them. I also know many excellent teamplayers.

But there are many many more who are not.

Jeepo
02-13-2011, 12:13 PM
As someone who was in the 1stMIP, I have to agree with Emale. What we achieved there was truly unique, we strived for pure teamwork and a very precise leadership structure inside our squads. As emale linked, this did not go unnoticed. Back then, our game was BF2: PR, and our main alter IHS was the 6th.

Not every IHS STRIVES for true teamwork, some are just in it for the fun, however that is 100% fine too. Each IHS is unique, with different goals and ideals, all set up with the TG primer. As such, no one in the discussion is wrong. Some IHS SINCE the 1st MIP have become very much like them. The 6th, the 10th, the 1st JTOC (Which some of us old 1stMIP members set up recently), all play the same style. It is no shock that I run with these guys most, because their play is so familiar that it reminds me of th old days. However that is not to say their ideals don't exist elsewhere. However, no one has yet achieved the pure 1st MIP style that was my drug of choice.

Also, many many excellent players exist outside of the IHS system altogether. There is no wrong or right, Emale is simply stating that his time in the 1st was very special, and he has not witnessed anything coming as pure since. I agree, there have been a few occassions with the 10th and 6th in PR, and the 1st in ArmA, but that is it.

Boot
02-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Well said Jeepo, and I also enjoyed running with the 1st MIP during ArmA's brief heyday. What I and some others are reacting to is that you guys have put out there a very narrow definition of "true teamwork" and said that most of our members are to be pitied or are outright rabble. 1st MIP was a strong team-oriented style and you'll find no argument from me that it jelled and was fun. But to say that in the universe of TG IHS and TG and games in general there is only one definition of true teamwork and one pure execution is both untrue and rude -- an interesting combo to throw out there when starting up a new squad.

sordavie
02-13-2011, 01:51 PM
Some implications of a blanket statement like, "Very few people outside of the 1st-MIP really understand the meaning of teamwork or have experienced its full realization," include: Few in any professional sports players really understand the meaning of teamwork or have experienced its full realization; few if any surgical teams really understand the meaning of teamwork or have experienced its full realization; few if any Canadian or American, or any for that matter, military personnel really understand the meaning of teamwork or have experienced its full realization.

But let's suppose that he was just talking about TGers. There surely is a wrong or right in that claim Jeepo, and it's not a merely a claim about what he's personally witnessed. You say you agree with what he wrote. Did you read what he actually wrote? Because what you say is quite different than what he said. It's a blanket claim about everyone: either you're in the select few who understand what teamwork is or you're part of the rabble.

The comparison to elite military squads around the world is nauseatingly ludicrous.

The elitism and narcissism here is disgusting.

E-Male
02-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Post deleted by author.

E-Male
02-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Post deleted by author.

oniell121
02-13-2011, 02:39 PM
Folks, this discussion is WAY off topic. I support this kind of discussion, but it needs its own thread. As you go through this line of thought though, please remember that while TG constantly changes with both people comming and going and IHSs rising and fading away, one thing that will always remain is respect. This type of topic is a hot button. Be mindful and careful.

E-Male
02-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Folks, this discussion is WAY off topic. I support this kind of discussion, but it needs its own thread. As you go through this line of thought though, please remember that while TG constantly changes with both people coming and going and IHSs rising and fading away, one thing that will always remain is respect. This type of topic is a hot button. Be mindful and careful.

Mea culpa. Duly noted and thanks for the reminder. My apologies for leading the thread astray, I should have known better.

Let us return this thread to the discussion of my pixalation issues.

E-Male
02-15-2011, 10:33 PM
It has been brought to my attention that my posts of late have damaged people's opinions of the TG community.

For any harm I have inflicted on others, any discomfort, any slight, I am deeply sorry.

For the added burden this has placed on the TG Admins I also deeply sorry.

Please accept my apologies and rest assured that I will take more care in the future.

E-Male