PDA

View Full Version : AAR Operation Deep Dagger - AAR reports here

Unkl
02-04-2012, 10:51 PM
Everyone post your AAR reports for Operation Deep Dagger here.

Great game, I'll have video & more to post tomorrow.

Dimitrius
02-04-2012, 11:47 PM
This was a fun mission.

I had the pleasure of being attached to heavy weapons squad as the AT gunner. I consequently spent most of the game in a HumVee using either the 50, the nade launcher, or the crusader. Woof was FTL for our squad and I have to give him props for leading and informative and well managed AT fire team. Balfa did an excellent job managing the MG and AT FTL's while we brought up the rear.

All went well up until we approached the airfield. We stopped our convoy and Squad one was assaulted by an infantry squad. Red fire team engaged from the rear of the convoy and I had four confirmed kills with the 50. We then disembarked and gathered into the Mark 19 and made our way into the interchanging valleys that led up to the airfield. Initial enemy confrontation was encountered on a ridge to our distant 11 and I engaged with the nade launcher. Woof confirmed several grenade kills on the enemy squad overlooking Bishop 1. The moment we made it into the valley all hell broke loose. Two enemy jets began feeding on our exposed convoy and I was hit immediately.

On a side note, it was humorous and horrifying to witness a lone infantry enemy soldier descending into the valley unnoticed, but in the wide open, towards what was left of the convoy while they gathered the dead.

The team who methodically gathered the dead and revived us should be recognized. Fantastic teamwork and bravery in the face of unknown enemy hostilities.

I spawned back in with Luke and we jumped in the Avenger. As we made our way towards the stalled convoy, we noticed the two enemy jets had begun to hunt us. The first made a recon pass overhead and I was able to get tone on his rebound, firing three confirmed stinger hits and bringing him down as he bore down on our six. While the pilot of that aircraft ejected, the subsequent stinger I fired at him missed completely. ...I could have sworn I switched to the fifty >.> We made it several more clicks before the secound jet flow directly overhead spotting us. He looped back 90 degrees and flew parallel to us as we raced up the road into the first valley we had encountered resistance in. Luke managed to keep the avenger going without deviating from a "B"-line which gave me excellent stability for missile lock. Three more stinger hits and a resulting parachute exhausted my ammunition and confirmed the kill. I neutralized the pilot of that jet with fifty fire. Thanks for outstanding driving skills Luke. And don't try to sell yourself short by saying you had nothing to do with it. Good AA technique requires a stable platform.

Hats off to Sector the man who made our entertainment and satisfaction possible.

Homage to Black Python whose management skills continue to inspire and impress me.

Regards to all squad and fire team leads for their excellent leadership success.

And sorry to Warfairy, who I mistakenly called "Pepper"

You're all a surpassing example of why communities like Tactical Gamer are so appealing in the first place. Unrivaled cooperation.

I'd follow you lot into hell.

Semper TG.

POST SCRIPT: I Need to give thanks to Woof, who, I believe, carried my body from the wreck of our Humvee to the casualty staging area while the two jets were still flying overhead in a predatory manner. I was slumped over in the turret and it was either him or Def and I appreciate the assistance.

Balfa
02-05-2012, 12:56 AM
Nice write-up Dimitrius. Thanks for helping make the squad easy to manage, and for using your instinct and judgement when appropriate to help achieve the SL's intent! :)

WarFairy
02-05-2012, 04:31 AM
It was a great one. Many thanks to Sector, BP, Unk and everyone else. I was a little disoriented to begin with but soon after it was great to watch the mission unravel.
Being with 2 hours of sleep I must say it was worth coming back on Bravo again ;)
Dimitrius no worries, it was actually one of the funniest parts of the night :)

J.B.
02-05-2012, 07:22 AM
Yesterday was a good day as a squad leader for me, so thanks goes to all members of Bishop 1. Especially for your patience when the platoon needed to coordinate advances, logistics with vehicles and other breaks in the action. I'd like to highlight Gijoe who ran Red Team without any problems and showed great initiative when given a task. All in all it was fun being in Bishop 1 and at the tip of the sword even if jets and Hinds are ripping us to shreds!

|TG| B
02-05-2012, 09:21 AM
That operation was costly. So many lives lost and assets wasted. But we have gained a foothold in the region to commence larger operations.

I was FTL of Red team under Balfa's weapons squad Bishop 4.

|TG-Irr| B: MG team FTL
RavenholdIV: Assistant Machinegunner
Stolli: Heavy Machinegunner

I got to know RavenholdIV very well coz he talks all the time. Stolli was heavy MG-er. A German guy with serious approach to the game, always watching and scanning sectors. We neutralized an enemy squad threat on Platoon Dismount point. During the offload session all of died in our TOW Humvee from a jet.

During the second push we made it all way so that we could see the airfield. Engaged and killed a T-72 and a squad. Paniced and CPR-ed bunch of people from dying until the medics and reinforcements came.

So not bad for heavy weapons fatties.

LordFuzzywig
02-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Full mission recollection from my perspective. TL;DR warning.

PHASE 1

Bishop 1-1A4, PVT I. Clark, R/AT.

I was attached to Bishop 1-1. JB was Bishop 1-1, GIJOE 1-1A1 (Red/Alpha FTL), and ChiefBoats 1-1B1 (Blue/Bravo FTL).

Bishop 1-1 moved S, bearing 120 toward OBJ SP November, in a column formation for approximately 300m. We had a few accidental discharges by a few folks who will remain unnamed. ;)

As we neared the objective, we shifted to a staggered column formation. An unknown lead unit spotted a hostile patrol inside or around the Staging Point, to our immediate right and we all went prone. Being the last in line, I could hardly make out what the lead units were saying, but I barely caught, "2 men bearing 220." We were in GRID 0212 where the NW/SE road enters that grid. The contacts seemed to be GRID 0111.

We held fire. They must have been about 200 or 300 metres away and it would have been foolish to engage in the open like that. After tracking the patrol's R-L(N-S) movement for about 3 minutes, we lost the patrol and held position to ensure they would not be flanking us, catching us off guard. Bishop 1-1A moved up to a small wall using successive bounding overwatch with great results, and then Bishop 1-1B, though it moved a little slower than I had hoped. We continued to scan, then moved to another wall, and another, until we were in a position to have an excellent view to our rear over SP November. We would have been maybe 200m SW of it at this point, in the N/NE portion of Nur. 1-1A took up positions and covered 1-1B's movement into a multi-storey building. It turned up clear, but around the same time they got in position, 1-1A spotted a large infantry patrol of a dozen men moving L-R(SW-NE) about 200m directly to our west GRID 0112. They were armed with about 4MGs, multiple RPGs, and other equipment we couldn't readily ID. We knew we had to act quickly, or 1-1A would lose sight of that patrol in the trees that we had just come from and that would put the enemy smack-dab in the middle of SP November. Just like the old saying goes, "Who watches the watchmen?" Who patches up the medics? About 5 minutes passed by, and we finally got confirmation to fire. Both FTs gave it all they had. I only recall hearing, maybe, a half-dozen rounds returned at us. I guess that's all it took. I heard shouting behind me from the house at 1-1A's 6'oclock SE. That'd be where Blue team was. They were shouting about a man down. I made sure 1-1A was aware that B had taken casualties. We couldn't move the man, since he ended up being on the rooftop. Moving him would probably have killed him and he was only wounded yet...

While 1-1B was getting patched up, 1-1A cleared the building we had been hunkered down next to.

It wasn't very long until men started popping up 20m from us to our W/SW. It was a tough position to be in. The direction they were coming from had a lot of shrubbery and the walls of the building were in the way anyhow. I heard a volley of gunfire, and we seemed to be fine. It wasn't long after that that we had another contact in almost the same place. We weren't as quick this time -- it was another hail of bullets and shouting. "GIJOE IS DOWN," I heard. I repeated the call in 1-1B's direction and took up a more concealed position. I was mad at this point. I took out another man that came 'round, the guy that got Joe. It was almost too easy. They were running one-at-a-time. I got cocky, I'll admit. Another man came 'round, and I emptied my magazine into him. That would have been about 60 rounds spent and we were hardly 30 minutes into the mission. My team scolded my use of ammo, but I figure it's better to be too aggressive than too conservative.

I dumped my mag and retreated to cover. I guess I hadn't realised it, but I had taken a round as the man went down. I was able to make it behind cover, blacking out. I came to, and shouted as Unkl and his crew moved in to help 1-1B's casualties. I kept shouting, "I'm injured. Clark is injured! I need a medic! I'm hurt!" Thankfully, after about 30 seconds, someone finally heard me and asked if I could move to 1-1B's building. I said I'd try. I didn't get far, maybe 10 steps... then I faceplanted. My team and Unkl's crew -- WarFairy, Pepper, etc. -- spent probably 5 minutes performing CPR and bandaging me up. I know I said it repeatedly in-game, but thank you all for your dedication in getting me back in the fight.

As soon as I was up, Nur was cleared. We resupplied and cleared Shamali without incident. Compliments to Deimos and others in 1-1A for their excellent building-clearing communication. It was an honour to be point-man on most of those buildings and I'm glad we didn't have to fire a single round after the initial burst in Shamali. It was a dangerous position to be in, no matter how efficient a squad is.

PHASE 2

We moved in two vehicles E of Shamali to a MASH location marked in GRID 0512, a HMMWV (M2) and HMMWV (Avenger). The M2 was in the rear with the Avenger leading. Deimos was in the passenger seat of the Avenger with me, and I was in the rear. I don't recall who my gunner or drivers were. As we moved E of Shamali, we entered a deep valley. I know more friendlies had to be behind us, but I couldn't say even now how many there were. As the Avenger moved down to the base of the valley, we took fire from a small enemy patrol maybe 200m to our NE. They had just crested the hill and shot first, so we shot back. We were told to fire at will. I couldn't shoot back sitting in the back, so as soon as the HMMWV stopped, I ejected and shot on the move. Turned out to be a good thing, really, since not but 15 seconds after that, I see the M2 HMMWV go up in flames. Confused and injured from the explosion, I ran back toward unknown friendly troops with vehicle-support and shouted at them frantically. I know I must have sounded panicked, because to be honest I was which was an exhilarating experience in and of itself. I was caught in the open with my entire squad dead or badly wounded. There was no more Bishop 1-1A, 1-1B: it was every man for himself in that valley.

"MEDIC! BISHOP 1-1A4, my squad was in those HMMWVs, I need a medic immediately!" I'm running around trying to get ANYONE to listen and help me out.
The medic never came. I had a bandage leftover from the resupply, and I used it while I hid behind the HMMWV. Next thing I see is a slow-moving helicopter cresting the hill. Our Avenger dumped stingers into its hind-end and wrecked it with accurate .50 fire. It crashed, and that was that. We thought we were safe. I started to move back to my injured squadmates, dragging them NW toward where the other friendly HMMWV was. Su-34s, two of them, come racing overhead. Immediately they open fire on our HMMWVs, causing twice the casualties. The valley was a graveyard: bodies everywhere -- at least 8 or so. I'm yelling at the top of my lungs (and the neighbours must have hated me for it) that we need to get the wounded together. So I start dragging, picking up bodies, performing CPR every time the planes would fly past. There was no communication. I tried reaching my squad on the 343 with no results. I tried Net 4 to reach Bishop 4 with no results. Suffice to say, I'm injured and genuinely flipping my lid.

So these planes are strafing our position and a half-dozen of us are carrying bodies around trying to bring them back to the medics. Honestly, it was one of the most selfless things I've seen. We all could have left those folks there. They were already a lost cause. But Unkl and about five others helped carry bodies up the hill under Su-34 fire. I remember carrying Luke, Ravenhold IV, and Stolli about 100-200m each. Being injured, I'd drop them occasionally and take the opportunity to perform CPR... Unkl took over for me when he found out I was hurt. The planes kept coming, and all HHMWVs were destroyed. We actually loaded up about 4 of the bodies in one HMMWV and directed him to drive back to the FOB in Shamali for medical aid. An Su-34 made quick work of his courageous effort and we decided to drop all the bodies and try to shoot the pilot since they were making such low passes. I hid near Stolli's body. It worked for a while, but I think an infantryman ended up finding me, and I was just one of many dead bodies on the hill. But I felt oddly at peace knowing we had done everything we could for those wounded men.

PHASE 3

Not long after, I guess the Su-34s went down, and medical aid showed up. I was lucky to be resuscitated and I went back to Shamali to reconsolidate and reorganise. We hastily threw together a squad with whomever was left, led by BlackPython, and divided it into two fireteams. I was Green Leader, leading Dmitrius, Luke, and Bag. We went back into that valley, Green team taking another HMMWV (Avenger) and Python's FT moved over to the hill where we first took contact from the patrol that started the whole mess. Green stayed back to not compromise the Avenger. Python took fire and I ordered the Avenger moved up, facing bearing 250. He tore into those bad guys and wrecked them. We already had taken casualties, and I know Python was down. It was a mess up there, but Dmitrius kept firing. An enemy BMP rolled up, and Dmitrius tore into it with all he had. We missed an AT round, and Dmi kept firing. It ended up rendering the BMP unusable and the crew bailed. Green team was hurt bad, Dmitrius selflessly stayed in the Avenger, despite being wounded, and provided security while I ordered everyone to drag bodies off the crest of the hill and back into cover while we tried to reach the medics for help... No one had any long-range radios though. We were panicked. We were all screaming over each other, carrying bodies, performing CPR, trying to hold this tiny 20x20m area. Eventually the medics arrived, and come find out we had stolen a BMP that was used to finish clearing the airfield.

I stayed and helped tend to the wounded as best I could, being wounded myself from the last engagement. Mission success, but at great cost. Those left alive I think all were in agreement, it was some of the most selfless service TG's seen.

I can't comment on everyone as a whole, but as for the men and women stuck in that valley, they all were the very embodiment of LDRSHIP and I truly felt honoured to be stuck there at your sides.

Loyalty
Duty - Fulfill your obligations.
Respect - Treat others as you want to be treated.
Selfless Service - Put the welfare of others before your own.
Honour
Integrity - Do what's right.
Personal Courage - Face FEAR, DANGER, and ADVERSITY.

Dimitrius
02-05-2012, 11:18 AM
I remember carrying Luke, Ravenhold IV, and Stolli about 100-200m each. Being injured, I'd drop them occasionally and take the opportunity to perform CPR... Unkl took over for me when he found out I was hurt. The planes kept coming, and all HHMWVs were destroyed. We actually loaded up about 4 of the bodies in one HMMWV and directed him to drive back to the FOB in Shamali for medical aid. An Su-34 made quick work of his courageous effort and we decided to drop all the bodies and try to shoot the pilot since they were making such low passes. I hid near Stolli's body. It worked for a while, but I think an infantryman ended up finding me, and I was just one of many dead bodies on the hill. But I felt oddly at peace knowing we had done everything we could for those wounded men.

I witnessed this from my semi-concious state on the ground. I was one of those downed men and I can tell you, I was thinking, "This guy/gal is the epitome of a human being And a soldier." I was helpless in that state, but my head was cocked just enough so I could see all of it.

I actually saw the jet take out the Humvee that was trying to go get medical supplies, though at the time I had no idea the intent of what I was witnessing. I was too busy bleeding into my thoracic cavity(my chest) from the several bullet or shrapnel wounds that took me out.

You sir, personify the reason why I blindly trust the man/woman beside me.

Dimitrius
02-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Nice write-up Dimitrius. Thanks for helping make the squad easy to manage, and for using your instinct and judgement when appropriate to help achieve the SL's intent! :)

Balfa, there were times where Heavy Weapons squad was in chaos and you organized the fireteam excellently. I know how difficult SL is when your team is made up of asymmetric combat types and I wanted to let you know I was impressed. Thanks for stepping up and making it fun and organized for Bishop 4. You relegate micromanagement to the FTL's and that is a sign of forward thinking.

Respect.

LordFuzzywig
02-05-2012, 11:32 AM
I witnessed this from my semi-concious state on the ground. I was one of those downed men and I can tell you, I was thinking, "This guy/gal is the epitome of a human being And a soldier." I was helpless in that state, but my head was cocked just enough so I could see all of it.

I actually saw the jet take out the Humvee that was trying to go get medical supplies, though at the time I had no idea the intent of what I was witnessing. I was too busy bleeding into my thoracic cavity(my chest) from the several bullet or shrapnel wounds that took me out.
I think what makes it most incredible was that, again, there was no radio communication. All long-range radios had been knocked out as far as I could see. Everything we did there was decided on-the-fly with no clearance from the brass from my observation.

It says a lot about the quality of individuals we had in that valley that we all said, "You get in that HMMWV and drive these injured men as fast as you can. We'll stay here and deal with whatever comes our way, whatever that might mean for us here."

Dimitrius
02-05-2012, 11:38 AM
"You get in that HMMWV and drive these injured men as fast as you can. We'll stay here and deal with whatever comes our way, whatever that might mean for us here."

I suggest this quote be used as one of TG's Mantras.

Well said, sir.

Balfa
02-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Sweet aar, clark, even though it totally failed to credit bishop 4 for all the casualty retrieval of your broken fire team toward the end of the assault on nur :)
Oh, and that wasn't python leading the quickly thrown together fire teams red and green for that last push on the airbase :p

- Sent via tapatalk. Please excuse the typos.

LordFuzzywig
02-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Sweet aar, clark, even though it totally failed to credit bishop 4 for all the casualty retrieval of your broken fire team toward the end of the assault on nur :)
I couldn't ever figure out just WHO it was helping us out. I personally only saw Unkl, Sector, Warf, and Pepper until after my CPR was almost completed so I kinda figured it was the HQ element. Again, I only wrote from my perspective, and I don't claim to be infallible.

Many thanks to Bishop 4 as well then.

Oh, and that wasn't python leading the quickly thrown together fire teams red and green for that last push on the airbase :p
Was it not? I apologise. If it was you, let me know, and I'll edit the post. I think I believe it was Python because I saw his mouth moving when we were assigning folks to FTs? I don't recall exactly.

Credit where credit is due on both accounts. :)

woof
02-06-2012, 04:05 PM
I couldn't ever figure out just WHO it was helping us out. I personally only saw Unkl, Sector, Warf, and Pepper until after my CPR was almost completed so I kinda figured it was the HQ element. Again, I only wrote from my perspective, and I don't claim to be infallible.

Many thanks to Bishop 4 as well then.

If Warf=woof, then ya there was some Bishop 4 help there. I dragged wounded uphill as best I could. I was shot up from the Hind, so I kept dropping them. I eventually was killed by the BRDM that came to visit, while I was too focused on the jets zooming. I managed to hit one of the jets with the Mk19 HMMV that was immobilized, but it didn't seem to have much effect.

My only other action was as part of the BRDM crew (thanks to JB for repairing it), and the assault on the airfield. We encountered a few infantry at the airfield and eliminated them, then did a security sweep. The tank at the east end of the runway was our undoing. Our initial recon indicated it was uncrewed (no engine noise, no exhaust, no turret movement), but as we completed our sweep of the airfield, we approached the east end where the lone tank was. I noticed the turret was facing South, not East, which was its previous position. I communicated this to the driver (perhaps a little too causally), which was followed by the turret turning to face us and me shouting "Reverse, reverse!", and a bright flash.

I bailed out of the wreck of the BRDM, to try to employ my AT4, but didn't get clear of the BRDM blowing up. Those final seconds were pretty comical.

Many thanks to Balfa for being an excellent squad leader. Bishop 4 didn't see a lot of action in Nur, acting mostly as overwatch, but we moved well as a unit, had good comms and fire discipline (no ADs from us! ; ).

I enjoyed the opportunity to talk to Sector on the ride from Nur to the final assault on Rasman airfield after reviving. I mentioned it then, and repeat it now, that some sort of vehicles/armor in Nur would be good. Sector said he thought Nur went too easy, which I'm not sure about. I think Bishop 1 maneuvered extremely well, had excellent fire discipline (I watched you guys maneuver past those very near patrols), and waited for the right time to assault. But I think from a realism standpoint, those troops in Nur would have to get there somehow, and having some Urals or a BTR/BMP would make sense, and maybe spice the first assault up a bit.

I think at least one person in Bishop 1 or 4 should have a MANPAD (Stinger), given the air threat.

I enjoyed the event, and appreciate all the hard work that went into making it and having it execute so well. I'm looking forward to the next one!

Sector_15504
02-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Overall, im happy with how it went.

thanks to all who showed up and had fun.

Stay tuned for Part two.

The medical system and spectating get slightly revamped, and more toys! Can anyone say M119? =)

ZephyrDark
02-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Wait. We're getting a true and honest artillery fire base :D Looks like I may need to hold my artillery course again!

Dimitrius
02-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Wait. We're getting a true and honest artillery fire base :D Looks like I may need to hold my artillery course again!

If your aim was anything like it was last night, then you may have to Take your artillery course as well ;)

J.B.
02-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Signing up as Forward Observer already now!
I want to see those DPICMs shower the battlefield with death and destruction.

Sector_15504
02-08-2012, 01:31 AM
I know its not correct, but I will be combining JTAC and FO into one slot.

J.B.
02-08-2012, 12:57 PM
You saying I might control both artillery and aircraft? Don't give it to me unless you want a megalomaniac calling ordinance down whilst laughing hysterically.

Dimitrius
02-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Do it!

woof
02-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Just make it a Marine ANGLICO/FCT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglico), problem solved ;)

Unkl
02-16-2012, 10:29 AM
http://youtu.be/zQWyXf70zG4

Athanasa
02-16-2012, 10:38 AM
<Clicks> Waaait... it's not ready yet!

Unkl
02-16-2012, 10:56 AM
<Clicks> Waaait... it's not ready yet!

My internet upload is terrible. I started that upload at 6am and its 11 now.

Sent thru the ether via Tapatalk.

Athanasa
02-16-2012, 10:57 AM
Good lord. That's almost as bad as mine. Then again, no idea how long the video is. Mine takes 20 minutes to upload 20 seconds.

WarFairy
02-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Nice video :) it is great seeing it from a different point of view. I will have to watch it in more detail tomorrow.
BTW What was that hat thing at the end?

woof
02-17-2012, 01:44 AM
Glad to see the video. I had wondered what had happened between clearing the town near the lake and things going crazy. Very cool to see a different, broader perspective of the mission.

I'm guessing the top hat is blocking some of the text comments once the Hind and jets showed up.

THE PALADIN[HKT]
02-17-2012, 07:41 AM
or being a Squad leader you sometimes have to pull a rabbit out of a hat. lol Good Video Unk.