PDA

View Full Version : Wargame: European Escalation coming out tomorrow

Vitamin187
02-22-2012, 07:40 PM
wargame will be coming out tomorrow, we got a handful of people who are playing it, if anyone else wants to check it out here is a vid. game is a mix of world in conflict, and ruse..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq0rpLxhnlc

Ghost1Bravo
03-03-2012, 11:55 AM
is this game any good? I've seen some good reviews. However, It doesnt look like much actual strategy involved to me. It looks like one side just sending in a ton of attack helicopters and spamming of artillery? Please tell me I'm wrong and I might have to try it!

socomseal93
03-04-2012, 10:54 PM
I think its great. All spam is counterable. Chopper spam is easily countered by APCs with Auto Cannons, and Anti Air missiles. Artillery spam is easily countered by anything. An artillery spammer can't afford to buy many units, so they can't defend themselves. The game is spammy at times, but usually not.

I play a lot of RTS games. And I especially enjoy a good realistic style semi micro manage game. And this game fills that niche quite well for me. So well in fact, that I have already accumulated 80 hours of play, between beta and full release.

Ghost1Bravo
03-09-2012, 02:52 PM
is there much use of infantry in the game? dont seem to see much infantry in the videos i've seen

Commissar_roach
03-10-2012, 01:06 AM
is there much use of infantry in the game? dont seem to see much infantry in the videos i've seen
I use alot of infantry, it takes alot of skill and good placement, but they can do alot of damage. I once used 20 delta force guys to hold a small town being attacked by over 20 T-65s.

ikonic
03-12-2012, 07:45 PM
I've been playing this since release and haven't played anything else since. Spamming artlillery and blind rushes will typically result in disaster. For instance, the game relies heavily on reconnaissance and units run out of ammo and fuel unless resupplied by FOBs or Supply Trucks/Choppers. The maps are huge (think Total War scale, or approximately twice the size of the largest World in Conflict domination mode maps). Units are well balanced and the whole Rock Paper Scissors concept is very subtle depending on the unit's weapons / armor stats and class. It isn't just the given R/P/S balance of AA > Choppers > Tanks, but also what tanks outclass other tanks (Socom and I discovered a BMP unit variant that is super cheap and can wreck all but the heaviest tanks like a M1A1, T80U, Challenger II or Leopard 2A1 -- which cost 3-4x as much compared to the BMP).

As for infantry, given the scale of the map, walking them to destinations will result in the match ending before they get there. That said, APCs and Helicopters (they come "bundled" when you deploy infantry), are critical to properly leverage them. Also, having them out in the open is asking for them to get obliterated by tanks, choppers and artillery. Hiding them in forests, treelines and towns is the only way to have them survive. There are different types of infantry: Recon, Rifle Squads, ATGM, Special Forces, Anti Air. Recon and Rifle Squads are similar, they pack an AR, a short range LAW (700m) and grenades (concussion or frag) the difference being that Recon has better visual detection range. ATGMs carry AT Guided Missiles that can fire over 2km, downside is that they have ****ty PDWs with low ammo and some grenades -- they are also only a 4 man squad per unit, as opposed to 10-20 with Rifles or Recon, and you have a smaller number of them to deploy. Anti Air is just the MANPADS variant of the ATGM guys. Special Forces may sound like a type of "hero" unit, but they are nothing but stronger Recon/Rifle Squad units. Some carry LAWs, others carry MANPADS, others carry AP Rockets. The key difference with Special Forces is that they are extremely effective in setting up ambushes on unprotected reinforcement points (hiding them in trees or buildings along the route used to the RP) or on artillery units hiding in a forest in the rear. They are also effective on hijacking supply trucks and FOBs that are rearming artillery, or trucks that are moving up to the frontlines.

The key thing to note in this game is that you only have a limited amount of units and you can only select 5 units from each category (logsitics, tanks, infantry, support, choppers) from a pool of over 350 to create your game "deck" (Kits are to Call of Duty, as Decks are to Wargame: EE). Once they are dead, that's it. That is why stupid, blind rushing is a bad idea. Rushing in with expensive Apaches or Havocs, only to get dominated by long range AA before the choppers even see them, is nothing but bad news bears -- and you only get 4 of them per round. That is also why artillery whores generally get reemed by infantry that sneak behind them. Also, rushing tanks into infantry infested forests is suicidal, because you absolutely ruin the tank's strength of line of sight and the ability to engage from long range -- you always are going to be fighting CQB against units that carry short range LAWs. Referring to Roach's point about 20 Delta Force special forces units against 20 tanks -- 20 Delta is 1 "unit", against 20 units of tanks.

In order to play this game effectively, like what Roach said, you need to think about placement and most importantly, have a chess like mentality of thinking ahead if you come into enemy contact. You find infantry in the forest: do you rush in with your own infantry? Bomb it with artillery? Torch it with flamethrowers? Send in choppers? Depending on what units are available to you, this will vary and very well determine game outcomes.

Bernout
03-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Sounds interesting. Are you guys talking about the SP? Is the AI good?

Bernout

ikonic
03-12-2012, 09:30 PM
SP is more or less a progressive tutorial to prep you for MP. I only did the first campaign to get a feel for things.

That being said: we are talking about MP.

If there is any negative thing to say about the game: You cannot micromanage unit positioning to face in certain directions. This is most annoying for heavy tanks exposing their weak side or rear armor when they have max frontal armor. You can't manage your infantry into customized squads, the only ability is the split them in half. Which becomes slightly annoying when there's artillery exploding all around them and don't want all of them wiped out at once.

Axis_Sniper
03-13-2012, 05:00 AM
Hopefully with the upcoming patch that will help with letting you know when your units line of sight is blocked in certain directions. I had 4 units of Panzer Grenadiers and 4 Leopard A1s guarding a plateau covering east, north and west. They killed basically everything that came within the ATGMs line of sight and what they missed the tanks got. 2, TWO, T-72Gs came in diagonally from the NW and I had no idea that my units couldn't fire on them. They killed all of my command vehicles and killed 2 Leopard A1s and 3 A4s before I managed to kill the damn things.

ikonic
03-13-2012, 11:47 PM
Hopefully with the upcoming patch that will help with letting you know when your units line of sight is blocked in certain directions. I had 4 units of Panzer Grenadiers and 4 Leopard A1s guarding a plateau covering east, north and west. They killed basically everything that came within the ATGMs line of sight and what they missed the tanks got. 2, TWO, T-72Gs came in diagonally from the NW and I had no idea that my units couldn't fire on them. They killed all of my command vehicles and killed 2 Leopard A1s and 3 A4s before I managed to kill the damn things.

Hold T.

mat552
03-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Havoks and Apaches are brutally overpowered in Ranked matches. 1500 points buys you four Veteran 4 attack helicopters (which allows them to bypass the large majority of aiming time requirement, and adding in accuracy bonuses for the Ataka-V/Hellfire systems), with enough points left over for two recon helicopters. An enemy who buys anything but high veterancy missile based AA weapons will not be able to defend his main base and command vehicle in time to prevent the helicopters from running roughshod over their main from a flank. Commanders who do invest in SAMs, MANPADs, or AAA, must secure both flanks and his forward assault vector, which can cost up to 750 points on some maps, halving their ability to project force.

They're much less imbalanced in higher point or higher player games, and they fulfill their function pretty much the same as their real life counterparts. Chill out behind a hill or forest, gut anything that strays into range, run away from anything with a machinegun or cannon pointed skyward.

ikonic
04-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Free DLC incoming http://www.wargame-ee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4076

AnimalMother
10-23-2012, 07:20 AM
Anyone still playing this?

I got it in the most recent steam sale, currently really enjoying it. But don't have many people to team up with for MP. Still learning the ropes so you'll have to bear with me when we do play.

LordFuzzywig
10-23-2012, 09:35 AM
Yes, I still play. I'd be happy to teach you a little bit.

AnimalMother
10-28-2012, 09:14 PM
That'd be good if we could get some games in at some point.

My wargame account is, either sarsfield99 or animalmother99. Not sure which one it is that'll bring me up on the searches

Mech__Warrior
10-29-2012, 11:29 AM
I've played this and thought it was pretty good. Frustrating at times when you're trying to get medals/stars, but good overall. I should start playing it again, but other games have got my attention.

Ghost1Bravo
12-31-2012, 07:30 PM
Bought WEE on a steam sale about a week ago and loving it! Can't see why it doesn't have its own sub forum on TG! I'm looking for people to play with (met a few others through the game as well), could network for some good spam free tactical games! My Steam name is: Ghost1Bravo and my WEE is the same.

LordFuzzywig
01-01-2013, 04:29 PM
Added you on Steam, Ghost. Hit me up sometime. I'd love to show you some of the old-folk tricks of the trade. ;)

AnimalMother
03-05-2013, 08:53 AM
Had a few games recently with members of the PR community. I love it as a teamwork game (even though I'm terrible at it)

Are any of you still playing? I just fired over a steam invite to you fuzzy.

Aimed
03-05-2013, 12:12 PM
I've got it as well and could go for a few games, I'm horrible at it though.

Ytman
03-06-2013, 08:03 PM
is this game any good? I've seen some good reviews. However, It doesnt look like much actual strategy involved to me. It looks like one side just sending in a ton of attack helicopters and spamming of artillery? Please tell me I'm wrong and I might have to try it!

Spam is strategy. Look at WWII; effectively the West, the former Soviet Union, was spamming bodies and equipment constantly whittling down the ability of the Reich. Heck our air strike strategy in WWII was basically; "Kill everyone in a town with as many bombs and incendiaries as possible." Rolling Thunder in Vietnam was pretty much the same thing. The surge counter-terrorism efforts of late etc. etc.

Actual 'precision-only wars' is a hallmark of recent wars of complete disparity in relative powers.

The cool thing about these games of scale is that you must weigh between the generic heavy battle that you must simply tank through, and that spectacular fight on the Chinese Farm (Yom Kippur).