PDA

View Full Version : StarCraft 2 Not in 2007, or 2008!

Ainselie
06-07-2007, 09:23 PM
Link:
http://www.digitalbattle.com/2007/05/31/starcraft-2-not-this-year/

Relmar
06-08-2007, 02:01 AM
Is anyone surprised? I personally don't expect it till the very end of next year.

Dilly
09-11-2008, 12:08 PM
I cant wait, starcraft imo is the best rts ever. first one to incorporate more than 2 races as well as having diverse races with different powers. I cant wait for the new one.

Acreo Aeneas
09-23-2008, 01:31 AM
It might be coming out in December 3rd, 2008 as advertised by Gamestop and several other retailers.

CingularDuality
09-23-2008, 11:56 AM
It might be coming out in December 3rd, 2008 as advertised by Gamestop and several other retailers.

Oooh, ooh, ooh! I know what's going to be at the top of my xmas list!

But dammit, why'd they have to make it so early in December? I'm not allowed to buy myself anything in October, November or December, so I'm assed out until the 25th...

Acreo Aeneas
09-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Oooh, ooh, ooh! I know what's going to be at the top of my xmas list!

But dammit, why'd they have to make it so early in December? I'm not allowed to buy myself anything in October, November or December, so I'm assed out until the 25th...

Pre-order it on NewEgg, you'll save about $2 over getting it from Gamestop (gas not included).

As for getting stuff until x-mas...why so late?

Acreo Aeneas
09-27-2008, 07:12 PM
Looks like you might get your wish after all Cingy: Starcraft 2 Confirmed for 2009 (http://www.starcraftwire.net/n/1024/)

Looks like another year of waiting for me. I might just decide on pulling my preorder at Gamestop to save for BF3 if it gets announced before SC2 releases.

CingularDuality
09-27-2008, 10:35 PM
As for getting stuff until x-mas...why so late?

Oh, there's been a couple of times that I bought myself something that my wife or other family member already bought me for xmas.

Acreo Aeneas
09-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Oh, there's been a couple of times that I bought myself something that my wife or other family member already bought me for xmas.

:row__577: You could always sell it and recoup the cash. ;)

Well, I don't think your wife or family will be able to get you SC2 before you get it yourself. :)

CingularDuality
10-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Well, I don't think your wife or family will be able to get you SC2 before you get it yourself. :)

Oh, I don't know if I could keep it a secret. And if my wife found out, there would be blood spilled...

Turbinator
10-02-2008, 01:43 AM
Is anyone surprised? I personally don't expect it till the very end of next year.

same here. It would be shocking if they would have released it this year = 2008.

most likely 2009, next blizzcon they will let us know the release date most likely

Acreo Aeneas
10-04-2008, 12:19 PM
same here. It would be shocking if they would have released it this year = 2008.

most likely 2009, next blizzcon they will let us know the release date most likely

I can't wait much longer. If they start pushing it past 2009 then I wish they didn't announce the darn game until one day before it releases.

Eclipse
10-12-2008, 07:19 AM
I went to blizzcon this year, no release date announced. My best guess would be this time-ish next year.

Played a bunch of SC2 though, for an early alpha build, it's shaping up to be really, really, REALLY, frickin' good.

Oh, it's also a trilogy now, if you hadn't read.

CingularDuality
10-12-2008, 09:50 AM

What do you mean by that?

Polska
10-12-2008, 01:35 PM
What do you mean by that?

They are releasing each campaign as a seperate game (Terran, Zerk, Protoss I believe). So I guess first we will get Terran and multiplayer and then the other 2 over time. They are expansions kind of, but they want them to feel like full fledged games, ie) long campaigns and losts of cinematics. To be honest I don't see myself buying these "expansions" just for a single player campaign, get real Blizzard (unless they are required for mp units like in broodwars, in which case I may consider it)

BTW anyone have videos of the Starcraft 2 exibition matches from blizzcon. It was 2 guys playing ZvP, I watched the first game then had to leave.

Acreo Aeneas
10-12-2008, 04:43 PM
I went to blizzcon this year, no release date announced. My best guess would be this time-ish next year.

Played a bunch of SC2 though, for an early alpha build, it's shaping up to be really, really, REALLY, frickin' good.

Where are you getting "trilogy" from? Starcraft 2 is only the second one. Trilogy means "three", hence "tri-".

Early alpha build? Was there a playable alpha at BlizzCon?

Edit: I forgot to mention that I stopped by Gamestop yesterday to see what new date they would give me as to the release of SC2. The guy at the counter looked it up and told me "July 26, 2009".

I somehow doubt it's accurate, but if they delay the game some more, I'm going to scratch it off of my shortlist.

Eclipse
10-12-2008, 09:23 PM
Ahem. Starcraft 2: The Trilogy. Not starcraft 2 and 3, starcraft 2, will be released as a trilogy.

Still confused?

Heres the breakdown:

Blizzard wanted to tell a totally awesome epic ftw storyline for SC2, as their ideas kept getting bigger and bigger, they realized that they wouldn't be able to fit everything they wanted to do in just one game. So, after some brainstorming, they decided that they would balance out Multiplayer, and then release the single player campaigns as individual products.

Starcraft 2: Wings Of Liberty (The Terran Single Player campaign)

Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm (The Zerg Single Player campaign)

Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void (The Protoss Single Player campaign)

All three races will be available for multiplayer and single player skirmish, but the single player campaign will be just the single races.

Also, hopefully, it seems like the releases won't be like Brood War, i.e. new tactics, units, and map palettes, at the time they said you shouldn't have to buy all 3 to keep up with multiplayer, but, honestly, that seems a little shaky, and I'm expecting us gamers to get the shaft and be forced to purchase all three games.

Hence. Starcraft II, the Trilogy.

Yes I got several dozen games in on their late alpha build, at blizzcon, pretty good overall, especially for such an early build. Zerg felt a little slower, Protoss felt a lot faster, and Terran's really got an overhaul. Nothing you can't read up on the net though, the gameplay felt similar, but distinct.

Acreo Aeneas
10-13-2008, 12:05 AM
Edit: PC Mag Source (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2332365,00.asp)

Apparently, each singleplayer campaign will indeed be a separate disk and game along with a separate disk and game for multiplayer.

This is probably the last straw for me. If they're doing this, then I'll probably have to fork over at least $80 for "Starcraft 2". It's not worth it.

Going to cancel my SC2 pre-order.

Edit 2: The more I think about it, the more pissed off I'm getting. It's a ingenious way for Blizzard/Activision to milk us for upwards of $200 for a "complete" game.

I wouldn't be surprised if future PC games feature something similar, but with an addition that the "activation" key/code costs an additional $200. PC games would cost a whole computer thus forcing us to choose either a console or massively flock over to a different OS and give up gaming completely (which I would have plenty of rolling-on-the-floor laughings if Microsoft went bankrupt as a result).

Eclipse
10-13-2008, 11:30 AM
If all you care about is multiplayer, hopefully (although I am skeptical of it) you should only have to buy one game.

To be fair though, the stuff they were showing at blizzcon for the Terran campaign, as well as the panel about the whole SC2 storyline did get me kind of psyched about the whole ordeal.

Polska
10-13-2008, 12:40 PM
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/BlizzCon-08-New-Battle-Net-Will-Have-Fees-12751.html

A new version of the multiplayer browser Battle.Net will debut with Starcraft II. How will it be superior to the previous version? Well, it'll be able to hit you up for money.

During a BlizzCon 08 panel discussion, Diablo 3 director Jay Wilson said, "We are looking to monetize Battle.Net so that we get to keep making these games and updating features. We kind of have to. Blizzard wants to avoid putting in a subscription but yes, some as-yet-unknown features will cost money.

Apparently Activision really likes the word "monetize". They've been using it a lot lately, first with Guitar Hero: World Tour, then with Call of Duty: World At War, and now Battle.Net. Guess they've settled on a strategy for their top franchises from here on out.

Quite possible the paid content for Battle.Net is something superfluous, like custom avatars for the browser. If they tried to sell special items or some such, an angry mob with pitchforks would gather. It's also possible Wilson was talking about additional episodes for the game. Whatever it is, be sure to keep your wallet handy.

Ughh yet another tidbit to possibly consider before purchasing. Is Blizzvision taking some notes from EA :P. This could be some insignifacant monthly amount, or perhaps even a one time fee. Either way if true, it could put some people off from buying.

Acreo Aeneas
10-13-2008, 04:20 PM
If all you care about is multiplayer, hopefully (although I am skeptical of it) you should only have to buy one game.

To be fair though, the stuff they were showing at blizzcon for the Terran campaign, as well as the panel about the whole SC2 storyline did get me kind of psyched about the whole ordeal.

I care about the singleplayer experience just as much as I do the multiplayer one. If a game has both SP and MP, I will buy it for both since both experiences can be unique and thrilling.

I will definitely cancel my pre-order for now until they come up with a pricing scheme for this whole mess of SC2 "products". If it ends up being $20 a disk, I won't even bother until it becomes a bargain bin title.

Apparently Activision really likes the word "monetize". They've been using it a lot lately, first with Guitar Hero: World Tour, then with Call of Duty: World At War, and now Battle.Net. Guess they've settled on a strategy for their top franchises from here on out.

Heh, Activision quit caring about the quality of their products and cared more about money since the late 1990s. Their games have been a disappointment (in one way or another) since their last few Star Trek titles.

I was hoping since Blizzard tends to be independent minded that they wouldn't try something like this. Apparently, they're not as independent as I had thought.

CingularDuality
10-13-2008, 05:27 PM
As long as the trilogy is $20 each or less, I'll buy them all. Think about that! Anyone can get the multiplayer game for $20, and I can have the entire single player campaign for $60! Works for me...

Acreo Aeneas
10-13-2008, 05:45 PM
As long as the trilogy is $20 each or less, I'll buy them all. Think about that! Anyone can get the multiplayer game for $20, and I can have the entire single player campaign for $60! Works for me...

I don't know, it sounds like Multiplayer might be it's own seperate "game". That would make it $80 instead of $60.

Eclipse
10-15-2008, 03:12 PM
I don't know, it sounds like Multiplayer might be it's own seperate "game". That would make it $80 instead of $60.

No, multiplayer is coming with the first campaign, 'Wings of Liberty' the biggest question on most people's mind's right now is:

Will the Zerg and Protoss Campaigns be like Brood War? I.E. New units, new tilesets, and a new balance patch?

Or will they be strictly SP expansions?

If it's the former, I probably won't be getting the game until it's bundled, if it's the latter I'll buy the first, and wait for the next 2 to become bargained.

Acreo Aeneas
10-18-2008, 05:19 PM
Ah, well, then I will have to wait until they release a pricing scheme for this "trilogy". Right now, I'm spending the money on GTA IV for PC.

Extinct
10-24-2008, 09:24 PM
I cant wait for this game.

Just wondering are we making a TG group for SC2?

CingularDuality
06-25-2009, 05:27 PM
SC2 beta icons have appeared on Battle.net. Anyone else still insanely excited about this?

UnDeaD
06-25-2009, 09:54 PM
I wish I was, but I'm just feeling what your feeling, but towards Diablo III.

Axis_Sniper
06-26-2009, 09:27 AM
SC2 beta icons have appeared on Battle.net. Anyone else still insanely excited about this?

Can you tell me what the icons mean exactly? Does it mean you are eligible for teh beta, or what exactly? I am highly confused about it.

CingularDuality
06-26-2009, 10:34 PM
Can you tell me what the icons mean exactly? Does it mean you are eligible for teh beta, or what exactly? I am highly confused about it.

You can click on it to apply to be a beta tester.

FLIPmode
06-28-2009, 04:11 PM
:( Sad panda at SC2 not this year.

Axis_Sniper
06-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Jesus, Starcraft II is gonna come out when pigs are genetically engineered to stop people from saying, "When pigs fly..."

FLIPmode
06-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Jesus, Starcraft II is gonna come out when pigs are genetically engineered to stop people from saying, "When pigs fly..."

At least it won't be as buggy as 75% of today's games upon release.

CingularDuality
06-28-2009, 10:25 PM
:( Sad panda at SC2 not this year.

This thread was from 2007!

FLIPmode
06-28-2009, 11:52 PM
This thread was from 2007!

I just saw the "StarCraft 2 Not This Year" title and thought 2009 :row__573:

CingularDuality
06-29-2009, 06:38 AM
Yeah, I edited the title...

Axis_Sniper
06-29-2009, 06:39 AM
How could you deceive us like that Cingular? I thought you loved us! :(

CingularDuality
06-29-2009, 06:53 AM
I'll be very disappointed if this game isn't out by xmas...

Wyzcrak
07-02-2009, 12:48 AM
Nah. You'll be too busy playing Natural Selection 2 to care.

El_Gringo_Grande
07-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Just read LAN play is being taken out of starcraft.

Sad to see Blizzard treat the honest paying customer like dirt. But it is the trend nowadays.

CingularDuality
07-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Nah. You'll be too busy playing Natural Selection 2 to care.

PreOrdered. Can't wait for the beta to release...

FLIPmode
07-14-2009, 03:22 PM
Personally the no LAN thing doesn't bother me that much. Even when I played Starcraft, Battle.net was more appealing than playing LAN.

Phoenix.
07-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Depends, if you buy the game then I guess that shouldn't really bother you much, but if you can't access battle.net then you can't play with others if the LAN option has been taken away, which I must say will regret to say goodbye to.

The game will be awesome that is certain, question is, will it carry more awesomeness than SC(1). It was a bomb back in the days and it's really played a lot still, but the sequels never really made such an impact. The maps from what I've seen are great, visuals as well,... but I have a some suspicion still. Might be worth adding that I am one of the biggest StarCraft fans out there.

El_Gringo_Grande
07-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Personally the no LAN thing doesn't bother me that much. Even when I played Starcraft, Battle.net was more appealing than playing LAN.

One of the great things about Starcraft the game spawn feature. Being able to set up a some computers at work so that we could play a game during office parties was really fun.

It also ended up creating multiple new sales since some of the people got hooked at wanted to play all the time.

I hope, but I doubt, you can still do something like that. If I want to play with my kids I don't want to buy three or four copies of the game.

FLIPmode
07-17-2009, 04:56 PM
One of the great things about Starcraft the game spawn feature. Being able to set up a some computers at work so that we could play a game during office parties was really fun.

It also ended up creating multiple new sales since some of the people got hooked at wanted to play all the time.

I hope, but I doubt, you can still do something like that. If I want to play with my kids I don't want to buy three or four copies of the game.

I am guessing there will be some sort of LAN feature, just without the spawn feature, given to how every developer and publisher is paranoid about piracy these days.