I just purchased this game and came running to TG, as I know this would be the best place to play a mil sim (from previous TG experience). I am definitely new, and definitely need someone to take me under their wing. I want to play, and I don't want to be a detriment to the team as a whole, so if anyone can contact me and help me out that would be great. I'm installing it on steam now.
Zid you used to be with the 7th? That avatar. I used to be with the 7th too. They ceased to exist though right?
Anyway just jump on TS and a lot of us will be glad to help you out. Welcome back to TG.
I am also new to this game and this community. I am reading the SOP's and the tactics manual and playing single player to get the feel of the game. I am retired Navy so our tactics were certainly not your tactics so I am a recruit here. I dl and installed teamspeak and havent used it yet because i dont feel ready to play online yet. I want to be a good team player, Where do I start when I am ready to jump into team play? I chosen this community because of its reputation as a mature gaming community, I have stayed offline because of the immature playing that i have experienced.Hopefully there is mentoring for "geezers" in the community and the games. I almost feel like i should be signing on the line, raising my hand and grabbing six !
The skill ,young fella, comes in organizing the assault , getting players to work together as a team and completing the objective with as few casualties as possible..aka real life.
This game may not be for you as it's more of a simulator than a shooter and , as in real life , foolish charges up Bunker Hill against an MG might result in your having to sit out the rest of the game if there's no respawn.
As was suggested , maybe Project Reality (a BF2 mod that's free) might be more to your liking.It's faster , has more spawning options and you're free to fly/drive almost anything on the map.
Arma2 isn't for everybody. And may I add that the AI are brilliant in this version. Here's some examples I encountered:
1. I artied an enemy position and when the salvos started falling, the AI actually heard the incoming rounds and started scattering
2. Last night my position was rushed by an enemy AI who tried to kill me
3. Killing the AI that "organize" other AI's , works. Like killling the arty chief will screw their abilities to counterstrike with arty.,
4. The AI are masters at flanking in this version. Basically, if you shoot at them, they will spot your position and send out a posse.
5. AI will deploy smoke when they are in trouble.
6. AI scouts are lethal. Their camo is so good that you can be 4 feet from them and not even see them unless they fire.
I have played MP with other FPS platforms, but the spray & pray got a bit old. I enjoy the realism of ARMA. I need some help on how to join a game. Do you have to wait while the game is in the process of forming? I do have TS2 & 3. Which one is used for communication? I pretty much need a little guidance on how multiplayer is played. Thanks.