Every once in awhile my battlefield stops working and the only way it works again is either re-installation or re-patching. Well apparently the problem is not a Windows, patch, or CPU issue, it's a EA Master Server error not updating your accounts processing abilities. Therefore it can happen to anyone. After scouring the internet I found a post and did it do wonder, it even cut down my 'Cannot connect to server, check your internet connection.'
Heres the fix:
1. Go to My computer, then to your 2142 folder
2. Click the menu up top named Tools, go to Folder options...
3. Scroll down, and click 'Show hidden files and folders'
4. Right below that is 'Hide protected operating system files' uncheck that
5. Look for a file(in your main 2142 directory) named radial.cdb, then change it's name to something else.
Just in case that doesn't work (So far it worked for everybody) heres the second:
1. Go to start then run
2. In run type services.msc
3. Scroll down and look for Pnkbst A and B
4. Make sure they say started, if not right click it and allow it to start.
5. Go to my computer, then to your 2142 folder, and delete the folder named 'pb'
Follow the fresh install instructions here:
PunkBuster Online Countermeasures
Compliments of wtf.panda@ fevergaming.com
The first part is safe and there is no sideeffects to messing that with the radial file.
***BACK IT UP JUST IN CASE***
Btw I found out it also stops:
-Those major drops that cause half of the team to leave a server.
-Network Connection Kicks
I was talking to another guy on the other forum and he also says it should fix your kit
assignment loadouts. Only if you re-install the game, patch it, then edit the radial file BEFORE signing into a single game. Then whenever you set up your kit for EU or PAC it'll be saved correctly.
Actually it causes you not shoot, drive, switch weapons, or jump making you an easy target for everyone!!!!.. just kidding
Nope not at all. Radial.cmd files is only a cache of data which the game is suppose to delete, copy, and send to the master server. For some reason a conflict with the EA Master server causes it the above sent data to never reach causing you to never link to a server. But of course with anything battlefield please back up the file even though its useless.
I also can't find it by normally looking in the folder with the hidden files and folders viewable. To get around this, launch an archiving program (7-Zip, Winzip, winrar, etc), and navigate to that folder and then delete the file from there.
Another fix for those of you that downloaded 2142 from EA that have issues from time to time with 2142 not being able to launch:
1) Navigate to BF2142Pace.exe (in C\Program Files\Electronic Arts\BF2142)
2) Right click on it, select the compatibility tab, check the box to run it in compatibility mode for Windows 2000 in the dropdown list.
3) Launch 2142 as per normal, once it loads into the menu, close out of the game
4) Go back to BF2142Pace.exe and turn compatibility back off.
5) Good to go!
I sometimes need to reboot a few times while doing this, and not really sure why, but seems like thats how it is.
Make sure you are logged into EA Download Manager while doing these fixes, I wasn't a few times and wouldn't let me launch the game at all, though I never had to be logged in before to play, might have changed since EA Link is now download manager.
Thanks Azura. I was this close-> || to re-install.
Mwahaha a reinstall would only save you for a round or two, I remember I thought it was another program messing it up so I reinstalled everyday nearly! I noted on the Bf2142 Official Forums, one way or another it's going to happen to everyone. And I don't think DICE team is working on it!