Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
Discussion: Tactical / Battlefield 3 - Need a bit of technical help "Can not play online" - Not sure where to post this but seeing as this is a BF3 launch issue
  1. #1

    TG_Blood's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Chandler AZ
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Need a bit of technical help "Can not play online"

    Not sure where to post this but seeing as this is a BF3 launch issue I thought I would post here.

    History:
    Same HW configuration but just changed over to Windows7 from Vista finally.
    Origin updated and its running and connected
    BF3 re-installed from Origin
    Conquest works
    Battle log looks good

    Problem:
    Upon joining a multiplayer server
    I can sync to the cloud
    Joining server window comes up
    It sits there for a few mins then disappears

    Is there a log file to see whats happening or any other info to help me debug why its not able to join servers?

  2.  
  3. #2


    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Winchester, Ky
    Age
    65
    Posts
    908
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Need a bit of technical help "Can not play online"

    Might be an issue with firewall or security. After joining server window shows up and sits for awhile goto windows and minimize the battlelog screen and see if on desktop there is a popup showing something is stopping you from joining. I've got Win 7 but dont remember if I had issues stopping me from playing. I think there was at one time.

  4.  
  5. #3


    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    297
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Need a bit of technical help "Can not play online"

    Quote Originally Posted by TG_Blood View Post
    Not sure where to post this but seeing as this is a BF3 launch issue I thought I would post here.

    History:
    Same HW configuration but just changed over to Windows7 from Vista finally.
    Origin updated and its running and connected
    BF3 re-installed from Origin
    Conquest works
    Battle log looks good

    Problem:
    Upon joining a multiplayer server
    I can sync to the cloud
    Joining server window comes up
    It sits there for a few mins then disappears

    Is there a log file to see whats happening or any other info to help me debug why its not able to join servers?

    A couple things.

    1. Do you have the correct plugin installed for Battlelog? If you don't there will be a yellow downward pointing arrow in the upper right corner of Battlelog. Click it and download.

    2. Did you reinstall Punkbuster when you reinstalled? You will be blocked from joining servers if you did not. (May be worth running PBsetup.exe anyway, can't hurt. Get it here http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php )

    3. When you start games does a Battlefield tab open on your task bar? If so, what happens if you click on it while joining a server?

    4. What do you mean Conquest works?

    5. Did you have to allow Origin through the Windows 7 firewall already? Did you check yes?

    6. If none of that gets you to a possible answer. Try to repair install BF3 (right click on it in Origin).

  6.  

     
  7. #4

    TG_Blood's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Chandler AZ
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Need a bit of technical help "Can not play online"

    Thanks Misnomer/Gunney will look at the items you suggested below tonight when I get home from work. By conquest I mean I can play conquest mode no big deal. I did not run PBsetup but during the origin instal it did load PB. I may need to update this as you suggested. Since Origin goes online I assume its going through the fire wall just fine....right? Not sure about Battlelog on the task bar???




    Quote Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
    A couple things.

    1. Do you have the correct plugin installed for Battlelog? If you don't there will be a yellow downward pointing arrow in the upper right corner of Battlelog. Click it and download.

    2. Did you reinstall Punkbuster when you reinstalled? You will be blocked from joining servers if you did not. (May be worth running PBsetup.exe anyway, can't hurt. Get it here http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php )

    3. When you start games does a Battlefield tab open on your task bar? If so, what happens if you click on it while joining a server?

    4. What do you mean Conquest works?

    5. Did you have to allow Origin through the Windows 7 firewall already? Did you check yes?

    6. If none of that gets you to a possible answer. Try to repair install BF3 (right click on it in Origin).

  8.  
  9. #5


    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    297
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Need a bit of technical help "Can not play online"

    Quote Originally Posted by TG_Blood View Post
    Thanks Misnomer/Gunney will look at the items you suggested below tonight when I get home from work. By conquest I mean I can play conquest mode no big deal. I did not run PBsetup but during the origin instal it did load PB. I may need to update this as you suggested. Since Origin goes online I assume its going through the fire wall just fine....right? Not sure about Battlelog on the task bar???
    Now you have me confused.

    If you can play conquest, can you play multiplayer then? I thought all joining of multiplayer was blocked for you. Does this crash happen only on non-conquest servers?

    It isn't Battlelog, but Battlefield itself in the task bar. The program itself gets a block on the bottom bar of the screen in windows (should have a little grey dude in a helmet icon), if you click on it then the game should open up to a full screen window. If it is still processing your connection you will get a blinking blue box in the bottom right of your screen.

    Any errors that occur should turn the joining box (within the browser in the bottom right of Battlelog) to a solid red color and say why the connection failed.

    Origin likely is fine if it connects, but sometimes it can end up on a lower permission level that prevents it from opening programs. Let's just leave that possible issue alone for now.

  10.  
  11. #6

    TG_Blood's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Chandler AZ
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Need a bit of technical help "Can not play online"

    Sorry conquest is not what I meant I meant what ever the mode is called that is not multiplayer nor online. Think it starts with a C anyway just to confirm BF3 is actually running.





    Quote Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
    Now you have me confused.

    If you can play conquest, can you play multiplayer then? I thought all joining of multiplayer was blocked for you. Does this crash happen only on non-conquest servers?

    It isn't Battlelog, but Battlefield itself in the task bar. The program itself gets a block on the bottom bar of the screen in windows (should have a little grey dude in a helmet icon), if you click on it then the game should open up to a full screen window. If it is still processing your connection you will get a blinking blue box in the bottom right of your screen.

    Any errors that occur should turn the joining box (within the browser in the bottom right of Battlelog) to a solid red color and say why the connection failed.

    Origin likely is fine if it connects, but sometimes it can end up on a lower permission level that prevents it from opening programs. Let's just leave that possible issue alone for now.

  12.  

     
  13. #7


    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    297
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Need a bit of technical help "Can not play online"

    Quote Originally Posted by TG_Blood View Post
    Sorry conquest is not what I meant I meant what ever the mode is called that is not multiplayer nor online. Think it starts with a C anyway just to confirm BF3 is actually running.
    Campaign. Okay that is good to know that single player can start up. It is something in the online that is broken then. I would still lean toward the Battlelog plugin not being fully up to date.

    Also. What web browser do you use by default? (I ask because IE 9 64 bit does not work with Battlelog and windows 7 sometimes sets that as default on a reinstall, if you launch the game through Origin though it will always open a 32bit version IE if that is your default. Any version of Chrome or Firefox will work by default though).

  14.  
  15. #8


    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Winchester, Ky
    Age
    65
    Posts
    908
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Need a bit of technical help "Can not play online"

    Yeah, I had to download Chrome for some reason a month ago. I think it was due to an Explorer 9 issue. So now I start my BF3 game using Chrome, but my desk top icon for explorer runs normal internet browsing.

  16.  

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


  
 

Back to top