Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Discussion: Tactical / Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - PC Beta Dates Confirmed: Jan 28th - Feb 25th - Originally Posted by Exploding_Silver @ the admins no public server files This should just mean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: PC Beta Start Date Confirmed -

Quote Originally Posted by Exploding_Silver View Post
    @ the admins

no public server files
    This should just mean you can't host a server from your own box at home. Renting a server, which we do already, will be the only way to have a server. Tighter security provided by hosting company. They mention server side tools, so we still get to change things.
    BF3 Soldier: DrSparky

"Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: PC Beta Dates Confirmed: Jan 28th - Feb 25th

This means all servers will be provided by server rental companies, there will be no dedicated server files released with the game. Believe me, this has almost nothing to do with modded servers or anything like that, it's about $$$$$. They may say it's about modded servers or what have you, but at the end of the day it's about money.

Now they can release the dedicated server files only to companies willing to pay them some money for the "right" to host dedicated servers whether that's a kickback/player slot, or a flat monthly fee or what have you. This will kill any competitive community the game could have had, as most of the "clan servers" are ones ran as a co-located server. (where people put their hardware at a data center and just pay for bandwidth)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morganan View Post
    This means all servers will be provided by server rental companies, there will be no dedicated server files released with the game. Believe me, this has almost nothing to do with modded servers or anything like that, it's about $$$$$. They may say it's about modded servers or what have you, but at the end of the day it's about money.

Now they can release the dedicated server files only to companies willing to pay them some money for the "right" to host dedicated servers whether that's a kickback/player slot, or a flat monthly fee or what have you. This will kill any competitive community the game could have had, as most of the "clan servers" are ones ran as a co-located server. (where people put their hardware at a data center and just pay for bandwidth)
    I don't think this is true. I think it is about control. The deal for bf2142 was that GSPs that are part of their program have to have a certain number of free servers open to the public for each server they sell. These GSPs don't pay EA/Dice anything.

EA and Dice only get get "official" ranked public servers that meet a controlled quality service agreement for their customers to play on for free. Free for EA and free for the customers.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know enough to tell us conclusively what this means?
    Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, Sharingan. PM07SNV is correct. The only way to run a server is to rent one from a GSP, Game Server Provider. Dice/EA is partnering with some of the larger more reputable GSPs to ensure a uniform quality experience for its customers and to make sure that their server files are not stolen but any unreputable providers. Not all large reputable providers will be included but enough should be to provide a global service and a good local provider for any user group. Servers can be made unranked termporarily for private matches/scrims etc. There won't be any mod tools released for the game in the foreseeable future.

Server files are the files you would put on your server to run your own server for a game. This is, more or less, the executable files or program used to run a server and have people connect to and play the game on a server. These are not being made public. Only GSPs will have them and only cetain GSPs that are part of the EA/DICE program. This will help EA control pricing, quality of servers, amount of free servers (GSPs will have to, as part of the agreement, provide a certain number of free servers that meet a certain quality for each server they rent.)

EA will not receive money from the service providers for the privilege of renting BC2 servers. They will simply get free servers that run their product at a certain level of quality.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, I see. So do you know if this will have an affect on implementing certain scripts on the server, e.g. In BF2142 there is a squadless kick-script, which will automatically kick a player who does not join a squad within 90 seconds. I believe it took some changing of something or other to the server to implement this, as well as a reserved slot system for supporting members. Do you think it would be possible for these things to be replicated for a BC2 server, if these server files were not released publicly?
    Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good questions Sharingan. I think it is certainly within the realm of possibility that things like that may be contained in the configurable portion of the server. Which is probably a web page with certain options and settings. Most likely controlling times it takes to defuse, round length, point socre limits etc. The truth is that we won't know those specifics until it is go time.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our server scripts should be doable as they use punkbuster and BC2 is going with PB again.
    |TG-12th|mantis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dang. I need to get a new computer. My pentium D will not handle this game. :/
    lTG-Irrl Argetnar
    If you hear the chatter of my Vossaraptor you're already dead.
    "Squad attack Tollhouse!" Experiment626
    "Cookies?" Argetnar
    "Yes bring your cookies too!" Experiment626

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey question for anyone living in Canada, if we pre-order the game form gamestop.ca (not .com) will we also receive a beta key? It doesn't mention anything on that page about a beta so I'm a bit
    weary....http://www.gamestop.ca/Catalog/Produ...spx?sku=618985

I hope that Canada wasn't left out again if so I might just have to get it from .com, its actually 9$ cheaper because of the dollar right now :P

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12