Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Discussion: Call of Duty / Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 3 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - PC Exclusive Information & FAQ - Here's the latest word from Robert Bowling at Activision: http://community.callofduty.com/thread/4682 I haven't read through the

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - PC Exclusive Information & FAQ

Here's the latest word from Robert Bowling at Activision:

http://community.callofduty.com/thread/4682

I haven't read through the whole thing yet but here's what he says about dedis:

Will Modern Warfare 3 have Dedicated Servers?

Yes! Modern Warfare 3 supported matchmaking as well as Dedicated Servers, allowing players to find and filter via an in-game server browser or set-up their own Dedicated Server for complete control, without being restricted by any 3rd party hosting requirements. If looking for a Dedicated Server to join, if you choose not to set up your own, you can filter and favorite by Ping, Map, Gametype, Hardcore Variants, Voice, Password, and many other options.

Are Dedicated Servers Ranked or UnRanked?

Only matchmaking to public games are Ranked (meaning, you have to rank up to unlock weapons to rank on the leaderboards), choosing to play on a Dedicated Server is UnRanked. Meaning unlocks are completely controlled by the Server Admin. They can choose to unlock everything or limit class restrictions to whatever they like to fully customize the experience. You do not have to rank up in Public games to have access to weapons in Dedicated Servers, you have complete control over what is unlocked for you in a Unranked Dedicated Server.
    So, if TG runs a server it's definitely unranked, as all dedis would be. They've de-linked the ranked and unranked weps progression which means we would have immediate access to all weps/perks/etc and can tailor as needed to our liking. Looks like folks that are after Prestiges and/or enjoy the satisfaction of ranking up will have to use the MW2 style, player hosted, "servers" via the matchmaking function.

So that's gonna be some heavy info for some folks. At least we don't have to debate whether we run ranked or unranked.

There's also some other points of interest:

What is the Maxplayer count for Modern Warfare 3 on PC?

Currently it is 18 players max (in Ground War) but it may increase post launch.

Will 'lean' be in the game?

No. We chose to keep lean out of the game to keep the gameplay experience universal across all platforms. This was a gameplay design decision.

Will there be Modtools for Modern Warfare 3 on PC?

Mod Tools will not be shipped at launch. As always we are continually evaluating features to support post launch and this is one requiring further discussion.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - PC Exclusive Information & FAQ

Hmm.. The changes to the ranked system give me a sliver of hope.

The removal of lean and the lower player count seem like steps back in my opinion. Normally I would continue with some bellyaching, but instead I will try and keep an open mind.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No lean is not a deal breaker for me but it gives me pause. I'm more concerned about prone being in the game. Haven't seen anything on that yet.

Having the server unranked with everything unlocked means we can put focus on the gameplay and team work without the distraction of ranking up. The question is, do folks want ranked play, even though that means hit or miss P2P connections or will they play unranked servers for the shear fun of the game?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed, lean isn't necessary (but it's nice and kind of expected in CoD). Prone isn't either (doesn't really matter to me, I hardly ever prone). But, removing bits and pieces of the game "to keep the gameplay experience universal across all platforms" sounds like lazy development, not a design choice.

If I were to purchase MW3, I would avoid the matchmaking like the plague. That's the reason I skipped MW2. Tactical gameplay is where it's at, not shiny prestige symbols (in my opinion at least).

I guess I'm just getting old and starting to fear change.

/get off my lawn!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never used lean anyway..so who cares..is good that we don't have to deal with more prestige nonsense..

I got high hopes..!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bleh... I can't see any reason to buy this game... its just another Call of Duty...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just another Call of Duty? I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. Well, actually, I think it sounds like an insult.

You'll note that, even though I disagree with the direction that Activision is taking the CoD series, I am keeping an open mind and waiting till we get some more info from the developer. You'll also note that, even though I feel that EA/DICE is taking the Battlefield franchise in the wrong direction, I haven't posted any snide comments in the BF forums.

If you don't like the title, fine. If you don't like the series, fine. If you don't like the deveolper and/or publisher, fine. What's not fine, is a blatant troll attempt against your fellow community members, who are trying to discuss their title of choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What MK said!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mindkill View Post
    Just another Call of Duty? I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. Well, actually, I think it sounds like an insult.

You'll note that, even though I disagree with the direction that Activision is taking the CoD series, I am keeping an open mind and waiting till we get some more info from the developer. You'll also note that, even though I feel that EA/DICE is taking the Battlefield franchise in the wrong direction, I haven't posted any snide comments in the BF forums.

If you don't like the title, fine. If you don't like the series, fine. If you don't like the deveolper and/or publisher, fine. What's not fine, is a blatant troll attempt against your fellow community members, who are trying to discuss their title of choice.
    I wasn't insulting the game/trolling in any way, but thanks for your two cents =).

The point I'm driving at here is that not much has changed since about Cod WaW, I'd say. Sure, you've got your small handful of new perks and turned the old perk 1 tier into an equipment category, but as far as overall change to gameplay/graphics I'm rather disappointed. Hell, the first MW graphics and Black Ops' look exactly the same. Might I also add that you yourself even said that "'to keep the gameplay experience universal across all platforms' sounds like lazy development". To me, the number of changes being made in MW3 could be all things that could be added to MW2 via DLC.

Take BC2 Vietman, for example. Sure, EA could have wasted time/resources making it a whole separate title, but they instead made it DLC. For an entirely new title, I think MW3 should just have a lot more new features as oppose to the seemingly repetitive multiplayer and even single player for that matter (as far as gameplay goes, of course).

P.S. You know what you should try sometime? Thinking before lashing out at someone just for having a difference of opinion.
    Last edited by DrBob477; 10-26-2011 at 02:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

P.P.S. I'm a huge fan of Call of Duty, and I play Cod4 through Black Ops quite frequently. I just don't find it necessary to spend $60 on something I believe is hardly that different from MW2.
    Last edited by DrBob477; 10-26-2011 at 01:48 PM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry that you feel that I was "lashing out at someone just for having a difference of opinion". I have no problem with differing opinions and if you had added your thoughts and comments as you just did, I wouldn't have "lashed out".

In regard to your P.S. - As I said, if you had posted something other than a troll, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Think before you hit the Post button.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mindkill View Post
    In regard to your P.S. - As I said, if you had posted something other than a troll, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Think before you hit the Post button.
    Once again, I was not trolling, but I think this was just a miscommunication. I suppose you could see my post as being trolley, but I totally did not mean it to be. I could have elaborated my point a bit more, but now that that's done the issue is solved No hard feelings
    Last edited by DrBob477; 10-26-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well..it is release day..and I am at work! Meh..!

But I am reading where there are dedicated servers up and running in the US..

http://www.callofduty.com/message/105937387#105937387