Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
Discussion: Natural Selection / Natural Selection - General Discussion - Left 4 Dead - Anyone hear about Left 4 Dead? http://www.l4d.com/ It's a FPS modification of HL2... Coming out
  1. #1

    tr0gd0r3's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Burnaby
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Left 4 Dead

    Anyone hear about Left 4 Dead?
    http://www.l4d.com/

    It's a FPS modification of HL2... Coming out Q3 of '08.
    The developers are designing it with teamwork, and communication in mind in order to survive...
    Basically it's a zombie co-op game, where you take on the role of either being a zombie or survivor, max of 4 survivors per game, and 4 HUMAN controlled zombies, then hoards of CPU controlled zombies.
    The survivors goal is to escape the level, fighting against all odds...
    Check it out, I think when it comes out we should get some games together!

  2.  
  3. #2


    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Left 4 Dead

    I am going to get it for the xbox 360 because my pc sucks :P

  4.  
  5. #3

    Ferris Bueller's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    1123 6536 5321
    Age
    32
    Posts
    9,177
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Left 4 Dead

    trog, theres already a zombie mod for source, called zombie panic. sounds to be strikingly similar. check it out.

  6.  

     
  7. #4

    tr0gd0r3's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Burnaby
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Left 4 Dead

    I think I tried Zombie Panic... I don't know if it was a HL mod, or HL2 mod, but the one I tried was terribly basic and boring =O
    I'll double check though!

  8.  
  9. #5

    Ferris Bueller's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    1123 6536 5321
    Age
    32
    Posts
    9,177
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Left 4 Dead

    there was originally a ZP mod for HL1, then they revamped it for HL2. A little dark, but its pretty fun if you've got 8-10 people.

  10.  
  11. #6

    ChopStick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    26
    Posts
    292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Left 4 Dead

    NO! I miss coming home drunk and playing NS with you guys. PLAY NS.

  12.  

     
  13. #7

    FooKer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Left 4 Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by ChopStick View Post
    NO! I miss coming home drunk and playing NS with you guys. PLAY NS.
    ^^

  14.  
  15. #8

    MagnaCentipede's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,082
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Left 4 Dead

    Left For Dead (I will NOT use Arabic numerals as though they were words, and a mighty demerit to Valve for using noob naming practices) is a real-live Valve product, not "a mod for" anything.

    There is no similarity between it and Zombie Panic Source. ZP is a barebones teamwork exercise. If the Survivors use the right amount of aggression, defence, and communication, they survive. If they don't, they become snacks.

    Left For Dead is an attempt by Valve to make a "movie plot" game (that is, not a The World Rests In Your Hands, Mr. Freeman/Chell FPS standard) as evidenced by the four player classes and four monster classes; each one being tailored to stress "personality" or whatever it is Gabe was babbling about while waving his hands back-and-forth. Of course, when your four player classes are Cliché Biker, Cliché Grizzled Fart, Cliché Nondescript Token Black, and Cliché Token Female That Is Stereotypical In Her Not-The-Big-Bazonga-Blonde-Bimbo-Stereotype-ness, personality isn't going to be your selling point on the game.


    It's possible that Left For Dead will kick butt. We know it will be good because Valve doesn't release anything that it's at least good. But behind all the Look What We're Doing I don't see anything particularly groundbreaking. They already spent their class-combat nickel on Team Fortress 2, and it's not like zombies are new to Valve unless it's ten years ago and I hadn't noticed.

    Zombie Panic Source is a very simple game, and that's part of the point -- it can be repetitive, but no more so than Counterstrike, and no more so than most zombie films. (As evidenced by the way zombies are compared by how they correlate to the small differences between each zombie film directors' works.)

  16.  
  17. #9

    tr0gd0r3's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Burnaby
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Left 4 Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
    Left For Dead (I will NOT use Arabic numerals as though they were words, and a mighty demerit to Valve for using noob naming practices) is a real-live Valve product, not "a mod for" anything.

    There is no similarity between it and Zombie Panic Source. ZP is a barebones teamwork exercise. If the Survivors use the right amount of aggression, defence, and communication, they survive. If they don't, they become snacks.

    Left For Dead is an attempt by Valve to make a "movie plot" game (that is, not a The World Rests In Your Hands, Mr. Freeman/Chell FPS standard) as evidenced by the four player classes and four monster classes; each one being tailored to stress "personality" or whatever it is Gabe was babbling about while waving his hands back-and-forth. Of course, when your four player classes are Cliché Biker, Cliché Grizzled Fart, Cliché Nondescript Token Black, and Cliché Token Female That Is Stereotypical In Her Not-The-Big-Bazonga-Blonde-Bimbo-Stereotype-ness, personality isn't going to be your selling point on the game.


    It's possible that Left For Dead will kick butt. We know it will be good because Valve doesn't release anything that it's at least good. But behind all the Look What We're Doing I don't see anything particularly groundbreaking. They already spent their class-combat nickel on Team Fortress 2, and it's not like zombies are new to Valve unless it's ten years ago and I hadn't noticed.

    Zombie Panic Source is a very simple game, and that's part of the point -- it can be repetitive, but no more so than Counterstrike, and no more so than most zombie films. (As evidenced by the way zombies are compared by how they correlate to the small differences between each zombie film directors' works.)
    Well you lost a lot of credibility when you said Counter-Strike, the largest competitive game of all time is repetitive...
    Based on the several hours of research and stratting out maps with my team in the competitive world, I would say it is literally the least repetitive game I've ever played... I've never invested as many hours as I did into that game... This includes the politics of the game, as well as researching it, and other teams...
    Perhaps for those who refuse to test the waters outside of pubbing, but it's literally like playing pick up game after pick up game of any other sport.
    Every game will be fairly the same, but until you actually challenge yourself, you'll find it repetitive.

  18.  

     
  19. #10

    Ferris Bueller's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    1123 6536 5321
    Age
    32
    Posts
    9,177
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Left 4 Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by tr0gd0r3 View Post
    Well you lost a lot of credibility when you said Counter-Strike, the largest competitive game of all time is repetitive...
    As a veteran CS player from pre-beta 1 to well into the CS:S era, I can hands down say that CS is repetitive as hell. Sure, you may not camp the same spots, rush the same directions, work with the same people or use the same strategy every time, but it is always the same. Spawn, buy, objective, die, wait, rinse, repeat. Everyone has had a thousand miraculous 1 health wins. Everyone has had the miracle AWP shot. Everyone has been "hacked" through the double doors on aztec. You play the same maps, do the same things, achieve the same goals, and utilize the same equipment every time you play.

    This is true regardless of whether you play modded cs, custom maps, custom binds, custom scripts, custom weapons, skins, models, sounds, competitive, organized, tactical, or pub play. Every scenario will repeat a countless number of times given a framework of a couple years. After almost 8 years of CS play and a few hundred thousand rounds under my belt, I feel qualified to make that judgment.

  20.  
  21. #11

    tr0gd0r3's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Burnaby
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Left 4 Dead

    So you've played competitively then?
    I played competitively for about 5 years, strat called, managed a team, lead a team, went to lan events, and structured a team from ground up, and I can sure as **** tell you from my experience, none of it was repetitive.
    You're a pub player, I was a competitive CS player.
    All I did was scrim, play in matches, practice, and research.
    You're entirely right about pubbing though, it is ass, there's nothing to it, really. It's dry, repetitive, and played mostly by arrogant pre adolescent know it all punks (Not everyone.)
    You are wrong about the game as a whole, if you take it to the level I did, it isn't anything you're talking about.
    I can show you the difficult strats that me and my team practiced for hours on end, and tell me how dry it is then.
    We have different perspectives, however, the only way for you to truly see what I'm talking about is to have been in my shoes, or similar ones.
    After playing CS at the level I did, I don't look at games the same anymore as far as competition goes. I know even the most simple games have a great deal of depth to them given enough time, patience, thought, and will for competition.
    Please do not suggest to me otherwise, your experiences are different than mine, and wrong due to ignorance.

  22.  
  23. #12

    Ferris Bueller's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    1123 6536 5321
    Age
    32
    Posts
    9,177
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Left 4 Dead

    And you're saying this based on what knowledge of me?

    I played in the very first CAL season. I played competitve cs before CAL existed, back when OGL was the big guns. I played on every level from open to invite. I've been to CPL. I've played hundreds of LANs, won thousands of dollars in competitive play and had sponsors. That was at least 5 years for me, all while running and maintaining a clan and three servers. I gave that up for real life.

    You know what, it was repetitive as hell for me.
    So next time you want to sling the ignorance card at someone, make sure you're not making ignorant comments by assuming you know them. Your experiences dont make you special. Theres hundreds of people out there who have played and still do play competitve CS on the level and beyond what you and I have done.

  24.  

     
  25. #13

    MagnaCentipede's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,082
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Left 4 Dead

    Trzerogdzerorthree just got SCHOOLED.
    +rep if it would let me.

  26.  
  27. #14

    tr0gd0r3's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Burnaby
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Left 4 Dead

    I disagree.
    He played during an era where the ****tiest league was considered good.
    There was absolutely no competition in the first few seasons, the game was still blooming.
    As for the next few seasons, you must have been on a serious decline in the game, and not took it as seriously.
    That, or it's just one mans opinion. The game isn't dry in any sense.
    Magna, you can stop brown nosing him now.

  28.  
  29. #15

    Donat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Left 4 Dead

    I think i fail to see the reference to natural selection or decency in this thready anymore? Can we get a lockzor?

    Side note: yes, Left four dead (left4dead) looks good, should be interesting to play

  30.  

     
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


  
 

Back to top