Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 757

Thread: Atheism

  1. #91


    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    West Vancouver, BC
    Age
    21
    Posts
    702
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Atheism

    No, no, annnnnd, no.

    What goes on in my mind may not be thinking at all, my body and perceptions and feelings may just be the manifestation of said mind, and tomorrow morning I could be dead, nothing but an empty shell.


    Of course I live life that way, at least for the third. The other three wouldn't have much bearing anyway as I wouldn't notice.

  2.  
  3. #92

    Obi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Scotland
    Age
    26
    Posts
    912
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by brain21 View Post
    No, no, annnnnd, no.

    What goes on in my mind may not be thinking at all, my body and perceptions and feelings may just be the manifestation of said mind, and tomorrow morning I could be dead, nothing but an empty shell.


    Of course I live life that way, at least for the third. The other three wouldn't have much bearing anyway as I wouldn't notice.
    So why should we listen to what you're saying if we can't be sure that you exist?

  4.  
  5. #93
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

    ScratchMonkey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Pablo, California
    Age
    53
    Posts
    8,306
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Atheism

    I guess I'm real reluctant to use the word "prove" by nature. In software, some guys look hard to prove that the bug is in the other guy's code. I work hard to prove that it's not in mine before submitting a bug report to a vendor. If I don't have 100% certainty, I refrain from using that word. (OTOH, when I do turn in a bug report, you can be sure I'm not crying wolf.)
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

    snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

    Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

  6.  

  7. #94


    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    West Vancouver, BC
    Age
    21
    Posts
    702
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by Obi View Post
    So why should we listen to what you're saying if we can't be sure that you exist?
    It passes the time?

  8.  
  9. #95


    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,444
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
    I guess I'm real reluctant to use the word "prove" by nature. In software, some guys look hard to prove that the bug is in the other guy's code. I work hard to prove that it's not in mine before submitting a bug report to a vendor. If I don't have 100% certainty, I refrain from using that word. (OTOH, when I do turn in a bug report, you can be sure I'm not crying wolf.)
    What do you do to prove that it's not in yours? Do you begin with axioms and end up with their logical entailments? Presumably not. I think what you do when you check your software for bugs is much more similar to what a scientist does to prove that her hypothesis is correct.

  10.  
  11. #96
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

    ScratchMonkey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Pablo, California
    Age
    53
    Posts
    8,306
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by Obi View Post
    Can you expand on what you mean by "baseline demonstration"? Perhaps you mean some half decent reasons to believe in God? Let me suggest some:

    (I didn't come up with these myself but I agree with them)

    1) The universe came into existence from nothing. This suggest a first cause. Something timeless and immaterial.
    I can conceive of something from nothing without a cause. What we call "nothing" may not be quite so empty.

    I can also conceive of time as static, with all that ever existed and will exist as pre-ordained, even if we can't step outside that existence to affect it. (Hence, I don't believe in free will. That's an illusion created by the way we perceive, similar to our inability to directly experience general relativity or quantum phenomenon.)

    2) The fact that the universe is fine tuned to support life. Suggests a designer.
    Looking at the entire solar system, the part that can sustain life is microscopic. Most is "designed" to not support life. (Ie. the inability to sustain life suggests lack of design.) We're holding on by our fingernails here.

    3) The existence of objective moral values. Some things are wrong. If God doesn't exist you cannot say that some action is objectively wrong.
    That sounds circular: God exists because there are objective moral values. Objective moral values are defined by god. (We haven't even established what it means to be moral.)

    Honing in on Christianity now
    4) The life, death and resurrection of Jesus If Jesus was raised from the dead it gives authority to everything that he claimed.
    Certainly a big "if" there. How much credibility can we assign to those claiming this happened? (I'm thinking of some of the more credulous and imaginative TG participants and if they wrote a gospel.)
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

    snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

    Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

  12.  

  13. #97

    Betterdeadthanred's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Naples, FL
    Age
    23
    Posts
    385
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by UnDeaD77 View Post
    I would say, enjoy burning in hell.
    Oh my science!


    Community, not corporation!

    TG-Irr BetterDeadThanRe(D)

    Xfire-BetterDeadThanRed1

    Irregs PR CO

  14.  
  15. #98

    Betterdeadthanred's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Naples, FL
    Age
    23
    Posts
    385
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Atheism

    I might just be odd, but I get a lot of comfort knowing that my time on Earth is limited and it's up to me to make it worthwhile. The very thought of existing for eternity just seems like a great proposition on paper, but when you get down to thinking about it, I mean really thinking about it, do we really want to just continue to exist forever?

    Imagine a number with digits the size of atoms stretching across the universe a billion billion times as a number of eons and you would not approach even a speck of the scope that is infinity. Is that really what you want? Considering the impossibly low chance for us to even come into existence, isn't it a tad bit selfish to desire so much more than what we already have? The mere fact that you are even reading this indicates you won the mad race of millions of other candidates that was your conception, so honestly, enjoy your time on this Earth. Live every day to it's fullest. Death is an inevitability, but there is no need to fear it. One must die so that others may experience the amazing things you already have.

    That is the philosophy of this Atheist.


    Community, not corporation!

    TG-Irr BetterDeadThanRe(D)

    Xfire-BetterDeadThanRed1

    Irregs PR CO

  16.  
  17. #99

    Atomic Dog's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    City of Angels
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,907
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
    Certainly a big "if" there. How much credibility can we assign to those claiming this happened? (I'm thinking of some of the more credulous and imaginative TG participants and if they wrote a gospel.)
    It's unlikely that the authors of the biographies of Jesus had any motivation to lie. 2 of them (Mark and Luke) weren't even disciples. Matthew, who was a disciple, was a tax collector...and back in those days that would have put him next to Judas as far as being infamous and despised. John is an issue because nobody's really sure which John authored the Book of John. Could have been John the Disciple or John the Elder.

    Luke is particularly interesting because he was Paul's physician. Paul and Luke come on to the scene after the death of Jesus. Luke wrote his biography from eyewitness accounts and interviews he had with people who knew or witnessed Jesus. The fact that Luke's book matches up so well with both Mark and Matthew is a pretty significant factor to take into account. And the other significant fact is that Luke's writings were never intended to be a "Book" per se. They were a collection of letters written to a mysterious greek known only as Theophilus.

    Here are the 1st 4 verses of Luke, I find them of importance because they outline his motivation for writing these letters in the first place:

    Quote Originally Posted by Luke 1:1-4
    1 Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, 2 just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word. 3 Therefore, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, it seemed good also to me to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, 4 so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught.

  18.  

  19. #100


    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    West Vancouver, BC
    Age
    21
    Posts
    702
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Atheism

    I feel the same, Red.

    Plus, it makes the time I have alive worth much more.

  20.  
  21. #101

    FatCobra's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Atheism

    The way I see it, if we're wrong in believing that Jesus/God are real then when we die nothing happens. But if you're wrong (atheists) then when you die its not gonna be fun.

    Rather be safe then sorry :O

  22.  
  23. #102

    Atomic Dog's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    City of Angels
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,907
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by Betterdeadthanred View Post
    That is the philosophy of this Atheist.
    The Philosophy of the Atheist is based around not wanting to live forever? Seems odd. Even as someone who does believe in something, I'm not certain that "eternity" is guaranteed to anybody. And if its guaranteed at all, it's guaranteed to EVERYBODY...even you.

    The Philosophy of Atomic Dog is...

    To Each Their Own

    and

    I totally made out with your mother.

    It's really much simpler and based around the enjoyment of life, not the notion of eternity. :P

  24.  

  25. #103


    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,444
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by FatCobra View Post
    The way I see it, if we're wrong in believing that Jesus/God are real then when we die nothing happens. But if you're wrong (atheists) then when you die its not gonna be fun.

    Rather be safe then sorry :O
    I take it you've never seen any replies to Pascal's wager? There are some pretty strong reasons to think the argument cannot be valid.

  26.  
  27. #104
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry

    Skud's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Age
    24
    Posts
    8,333
    Blog Entries
    20
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by j.barker View Post
    i am a self worshiping satanist/athiest thank you very much, and if you dont like it, your a wanker.
    Quote Originally Posted by j.barker View Post
    i beleive in, all these bastard politicians ruined are country, ya we may have a strong military, but are econmy is crap, we got so many illegals, think about the country first, then think about war.. were dying from the inside out because all these black people that kill each other off, sit on there but and do nothing and suck the economy dry because there to lazy to get off there but and work, but does anyone do nothing about it? no they dont, they just take the peoples b.s because were to scared we will offend them, screw being scared and and do something, kick the money suckers out, and let someone hoo is willing to work in, this may be offensive to people, but i could care less, freedom of speech(if we still have it) allowes me to say all this stuff...
    oh and i live in the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by j.barker View Post
    i am not racist, i hate hitler, and im not a white supremicist, i got some black friends, almost all mexican friends, and a couple white friends... i hate some not all, i just hate the little gang banger wannabe's and yes i am 16, but i wont tell no one were i live because i learned to not tell people that, otherwise they will show up at my house
    You are such an interesting character, J.Barker.

    Since you're a "self worshiping" satanist, wouldn't that make you a complete narcissist? And what would a USA-born person be calling other people "wankers" for? I sense a troll.

    If you are indeed a satanist, please explain it's central message. I've actually read the book of Satan, so I'm pretty well versed.
    Skud

  28.  
  29. #105

    Atomic Dog's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    City of Angels
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,907
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Atheism

    The Book of Satan was fun reading. Anton was a funny character.

  30.  
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Back to top