Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dev corner highlights

Originally posted by Zunni
    Developers Corner is a weekly show where Zunni takes questions from the NS player base and answers them LIVE on NSRadio every Thursday Night at 10:00 pm ET. (GMT -5) Check out www.Nsradio.net for more information about the station and how to tune in.
    For those of you that dont visit the NS.com forums here's a few bits of info that Zunni (the PR guy) has brought to light over the last weeks of doing his show.

I combined a bunch of highlights posted in the forums and some of my own transcribed items to make this list.

3.1 Change log items
    - Lerk Backwards flying is included in this PT build, as well as some movement technique changes for skulk, and potentially (depending on how you play it) fade.
    - Mines no longer stick to players
    - armouries do not give out random health, we are still testing the mechanism we will use, but the concept of random health will not be there.
    - Better end game notifications, so it will be easy to tell who has won the round of NS that just finished.
    - Alien Hivesight has been extended so a structure under attack will display no matter where you are in relation to it
    - Double-Tapping F4 is now required to return you to the Ready Room, people were having issues where they had a nice Heavy or had just Faded, and accidently hit F4, and lost the equipment, double-tapping f4 prevents this.
    - Toggleable Labelled Minimaps, turns out "Cargo Bay" is "Cargo Bay" on pretty much every server in the world, so we've got this going on (thanks to JazzX for his work on developing the process/final product). Also, it's toggleable so you can choose to turn it on/off.
    -Cloaking now 100%. Gas should no longer reveal cloaks
    -ns_orbital official, pen15 location name change possible
    -Fixed bug where onos would cloak while charging (should stay uncloaked)
    -Fixed bug where comm lost armor while in the chair (from spores, nades, etc.)
    -Added a duck toggle to help bhop skulks
    -Placing a structure no longer sets a waypoint
    -When a recycle completes there is now a "shower of sparks"
    -Health circles visible around all structures if holding welder or heal spray
    -Shotgun random now, half in 7% cone, rest in 20% cone, shotgun fall off removed

Other bits of info
    - There are changes coming to many of the official maps, including co_sava, ns_eon and ns_bast in 3.1

- Hitboxes are being worked on for 3.1, we have given the new code to the playtesters and it's being tested. We attempted to deal with this issue in B5 however testing showed that there were unforseen issues with it, same with B6, however we are not giving up the hope of better hit detection and registry and continue to try different solutions.

- My Games News, in a nutshell, the development staff is entering into a limited "test" phase with Valve (so beta it's not even called NS in the list yet), so we are making progress in this area, we can't guarentee anything for 3.1, but things are moving.

-My Games progress is excellent, NS devs and some playtesters have access to valve test servers - Guess time frame 1 month

-Unknown worlds taking on contract work they did some work on the upcomming charlie and the chocolate factory game

- The announcement about what Nexus is will be released when the Playtesters get their first crack at it in beta. The announcement will contain a complete overview/explanation and will also include a FAQ.

- NS:Source news, we've had the first glimpse of a NS Marine model (untextured) for NS:Source and it looks awesome.. As work continues and the collection of assets begins to grow and get textured, we will produce Screen Shots for happy consumption (we just aren't there yet)

- The onos will not be changed for 3.1, as we expect to have to almost completely overhaul it in order to bring it back in line with it's original purpose and that was outside the scope of what we wanted to achieve for 3.1.

-There will be a 3.1.1 - most likely a client update

-3.2 will be made, Interesting systems will be included
    Steam Community: | |

Re: Dev corner highlights

Originally posted by kormendi
    Great. Just what we need. More bunnyhopping. If they're going to aid bunnyhopping, why not just make the ground-collision timing very lax, so that no skill or scrollwheel is needed?
    "Hardly used" will not fetch a better price for your brain.

Comment

Originally posted by verbose
      Great. Just what we need. More bunnyhopping. If they're going to aid bunnyhopping, why not just make the ground-collision timing very lax, so that no skill or scrollwheel is needed?
      this is really an insignificant change. A togglable duck could already be done with scripts... its just built into the game now.

Aside from bhopping this also helps the skulk who doesnt want to wall climb.

Comment

What are they talking about "Shotgun random now, half in 7% cone, rest in 20% cone, shotgun fall off removed". Are they saying no more shotgun sniping?

Comment

this is really an insignificant change. A togglable duck could already be done with scripts... its just built into the game now.
          They're making game alterations with the announced intent to make bunnyhopping easier. If that's the attitude they have towards bunnyhopping, they should make it accessible to everyone without the use of scripts or scrollwheels.
          "Hardly used" will not fetch a better price for your brain.

Comment

I think the toggleduck addition was for two reasons:

1.) Easier bunnyhopping, as they said. It doesn't lessen the skill required at all, it just reduces the button micromanagement a little bit. Why they don't implement 3jump by default is anybody's guess, but scripts are a supported aspect of NS too you know...

2.) When toggleduck is enabled, you don't stick to walls by default and can instead hold down the crouch key to wallwalk.

It's not really a significant change so there's no need to get worked up over it. Just a matter of personal preference. It's not like it makes bunnyhopping easier for those of us who already do it; I'm too used to holding crouch to switch now.

Originally posted by T_BEAR
            What are they talking about "Shotgun random now, half in 7% cone, rest in 20% cone, shotgun fall off removed". Are they saying no more shotgun sniping?
            Yes and no... The shotgun bullet pattern is completely random now, as opposed to the predefined one currently implemented. It still fires 8 pellets(or was it 10?); half of them land anywhere in a small cone of fire, the rest land anywhere in a larger one. You can't use a modified crosshair to accurately hit aliens at the max distance anymore, but shotguns now have unlimited range to compensate. Of course, the pattern becomes very random and sparse at long distances so it's very challenging to snipe aliens with it.

Comment

Originally posted by verbose
              They're making game alterations with the announced intent to make bunnyhopping easier.
              Announced intent? Are you refering to this:
              This was an item I transcribed from the show this week. "to help bhop skulks" was my editorial. Zunni mentioned that it would help bunny hopping, but did not state that as the reason for the change.

Comment

Here's a few items I missed.

Alien gestation time changes
                skulk 3 seconds
                gorge 10
                fade 25
                onos 35

vac with my games

shotgun cocking sound fixed

Comment

vac with my games
                  eh?

My Games is confirmed?

VAC is coming?

eh?
                  Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I recall seeing somewhere that VAC and CD don't play nice with each other--VAC will see CD as a cheat, and unlike CD, which just kicks you when it thinks your cheating, VAC automatically bans you. Permanently.

Can anyone else confirm this? If so, you'll have to remove "CD Required" from the server when NS goes to My Games.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                      eh?

My Games is confirmed?

VAC is coming?

eh?
                      Umm, yes. Confirmed and in a testing phase.

- My Games News, in a nutshell, the development staff is entering into a limited "test" phase with Valve (so beta it's not even called NS in the list yet), so we are making progress in this area, we can't guarentee anything for 3.1, but things are moving.

-My Games progress is excellent, NS devs and some playtesters have access to valve test servers - Guess time frame 1 month

Comment

- Lerk Backwards flying is included in this PT build, as well as some movement technique changes for skulk, and potentially (depending on how you play it) fade.
                        - Mines no longer stick to players
                        - armouries do not give out random health, we are still testing the mechanism we will use, but the concept of random health will not be there.
                        - Better end game notifications, so it will be easy to tell who has won the round of NS that just finished.
                        - Alien Hivesight has been extended so a structure under attack will display no matter where you are in relation to it
                        - Double-Tapping F4 is now required to return you to the Ready Room, people were having issues where they had a nice Heavy or had just Faded, and accidently hit F4, and lost the equipment, double-tapping f4 prevents this.
                        -ns_orbital official, pen15 location name change [im]possible, [can't happen at all, ever]
                        -Health circles visible around all structures if holding welder or heal spray
                        -Shotgun random now, half in 7% cone, rest in 20% cone, shotgun fall off removed
                        I <3 the above.

If VAC works for NS, C-D goes bye-bye? They've not worked in harmony for a while so I assume so.

Comment

Actually....

I'm thinking we'd continue with CD. VAC addresses cheaters, which aren't a problem, and CD keeps idiots off the server.

Now, we COULD go without CD and rely on temp admins to clear the server of idiots, but we've tried that before to VERY negative reception.
                          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

But doesn't VAC see CD as a cheat? Or has that been fixed?

Comment

^^ That's what I was thinking. Global bans would be issued if you could connect to a VAC server with C-D, but C-D prevents that. I don't see anything on UA that says it's been fixed, but it might've been.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X