Cheating Death no longer required

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheating Death no longer required

Cheating Death is no longer running on the server, at all.

I've replaced the CD requirement with a requirement that players be registered in the TG forums.

This change offers several advantages to our playerbase, including, but not limited to, the following:

1) VAC compliance: if VAC ever happens for NS, we needn't be concerned about conflicts.
    2) No more broken nights every time CD updates.
    3) No more [No C-D] cluttering the scoreboard.
    4) No more FPS issues for those who felt them when using CD.
    5) TG server will now appear in the server lists of players who filter out CD servers.

If you don't have your SteamID registered in a forum account, you're not allowed on the server unless A) an admin is playing and B) you're the only player who isn't registered.

All the same rules apply to this as applied to CD. A player having a forums account with a registered SteamID is the equivalent of running CD in the past.

And yet I've added something helpful. With this new system, supporting members can give unregistered players a voucher. Giving a player a voucher causes the server to treat that player identically to a player registered in the forums for the duration of the map. You're giving the player a free ride until the map changes, at which point you must issue another voucher. A voucher can be issued until the moment a player is kicked for not being registered (this time has been extended to about 90 seconds after they connect).

Vouchers cost nothing to give, and you may issue as many as you like. I trust this won't be abused, as the point is to only keep players who we think we might want to have on the server.

You cannot take vouchers away from a player, but they do reset at map change, and, since only supporting members can GIVE vouchers, it's a fairly safe bet that a temp admin (if not an Admin) will be around to kick any voucher recipient who suddenly doesn't belong on the server.

To give a voucher to a player, issue the following command (examples) in your console (not chat):

voucher viole
    voucher shadow
    voucher zunni

Guys, don't abuse these vouchers. Make sure incoming players are idiot-free before handing these things out. You've got 90 seconds to talk to them and figure it out. If this program doesn't work, I've got the CD solution (w/o vouchers) ready to turn back on, replacing this new approach.

Find your SteamID
    Last edited by Wyzcrak; 07-06-2005, 06:09 PM.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Cheating Death no longer required

As with any other TG server authentication dependent on forum profile SteamIDs, a map change or two is required for a SteamID forum registration to take effect on the server.

A player registering and returning immediately to the server should have supporting members voucher for them until the registration is recognized on the server.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I am happy beyond words to no longer need to run CD.... (or I'm just really sleep deprived, we'll see in the morning)
      "Chance favors the prepared mind" -Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Best implementation ever. (well, we will see after a few weeks but good job wyz!).

Comment

wyz, the speed at which you complete these plugins amazes me.

Perhaps we should develop a technique to determine if someone should receive a voucher. It is fairly simple to see if a marine would be worthy of a voucher by how well they respond to orders, but aliens lack that luxury. Anyone have an idea on how to determine if a player should receive a voucher as an alien?
          Last edited by kormendi; 07-11-2005, 12:17 AM.
          Steam Community: | |

Comment

Originally posted by kormendi
            Anyone have an idea on how to determine if a player should receive a voucher as an alien?
            Ask them how they plan on spending their res.

Comment

Originally posted by rs_j
              Ask them how they plan on spending their res.
              That would work at the beginning of the game, but what about those who join midgame.
              Last edited by kormendi; 07-11-2005, 12:17 AM.
              Steam Community: | |

Comment

Common sense. Most tg members and regulars have it. We know who we want on the server and who we don't, and we are mature enough to seperate our emotions from whether or not the person deserves to play on the server. (not just omg i had a kitty and she died no way can you play because your name is k!tty_k!llar).

Comment

I don't know the best way. I'll leave that to the populace and step in only if I see a method I don't like being implemented (I don't see that happening).

If we need to shorten or lengthen the amount of time someone stays on the server before they're removed, let me know.

Consider this, though: The better the methodology for determining who gets a voucher and who doesn't, the more aligned with TG's mindset the new regulars on our server should be, and therefore the higher will be the gameplay quality.

Comment

Idea--if someone doesn't seem to be a jerk in the first 90 seconds, give them a freebie voucher for the first map. Let them play till map change. Then if they seem like a worthwhile person to keep around (you should be able to tell by then), point them in the direction of the forums, and revoucher them as long as necessary. If not, just let the voucher expire.

Of course, I can't give out vouchers myself, so all I can do is suggest ideas--oh, and check my Steam ID here on the forums. Gotta make sure its correct. =)

Comment

I have authored a thread for learning your SteamID. If this thread's intiative survives our effort to shoot it down, I'll author a thread about getting your SteamID into your forum profile.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showthread.php?t=56217

Comment

Horrible.

Luckily, I am already here. I find all this web-wide forum registration crap a nuisance... this just adds to it.

I assume I am entitled to free thought and opinions. Or maybe I have to register for those at opinionforum.org...

I know you're trying to make a better experience, but it has only made things worse for me. :/

Comment

You can't please everybody.

Free thought is pretty well (not perpetually) tolerated around here.

Sarcasm not so much, at least not by me.

Comment

It's a good idea, but I really can't see anybody besides members/regulars actually doing it.

Comment

Yeah--its very convenient for us regs who are on the forum to not have to run CD (specifically those of us who complain about extra lag due to CD), but its even more of a burden on non-regs than CD would have been.

CD is common enough by now that just about everyone knows about it, and nearly everyone has it on their computer, even if they dont actually run it. If they see a server amx message telling them to get CD or be kicked, they can simply go turn on their CD program, and be back in a few seconds. But how many people are going to respond to a "register on our forums or be kicked" warning?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X