Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NS 3.0.5 Released (server updated; no client update)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS 3.0.5 Released (server updated; no client update)

The server is updated.

Originally posted by [url=http://naturalselection.com]naturalselection.com[/url]
    The Natural Selection team is happy to present you with what might be the last server-side update to NS v3.0 (the next version being a larger update with v3.1). This new version contains a number of code changes that are going to be especially interesting for seasoned players.

Change log:
    - Reworked hit registration code so that it orients itself closer around model shapes. For example, you can now shoot between the Onos' legs without injuring it.
    - Removed the shotgun's falloff to remove a number of associated bugs.
    - Profiled and optimized server performance to reduce CPU load. Although results will vary from system to system, we expect many server operators to see up to a 10% increase. This is just the first stage of performance optimization, expect more in v3.1.

Enjoy the new version and see you online!
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: NS 3.0.5 Released (server updated; no client update)

So... The return of shotgun snipers and the hitboxes they told us we'd have quite some time ago? (i'd personally forgotten they'd had to revert to the old crappy hitboxes it had been so long)
    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Shotgun pellets are (will be?) random, so that should solve the sniping problem, unless you insist on calling dumb luck "sniping."

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

NS episode III.0V RETURN OF THE HITBOXES

Lets hope it's still possible to kill skulks on phasegates :)

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
          Shotgun pellets are (will be?) random, so that should solve the sniping problem, unless you insist on calling dumb luck "sniping."
          They will be random (5 in 7% cone, other 5 in 20% cone) in 3.1. In 3.0.5 the shotgun falloff (which never really worked properly) has been removed but it still has a set pattern. Shotgun sniping has returned.

Comment

Shotgun falloff(the reduction of pellet damage over greater distances) has been removed, but as far as I know that doesn't mean shotgun range is infinite... I don't see any problem with a small shotgun buff considering the balance situation at this point in time.

Comment

Btw, we've tested this on other servers. The new hitboxes are indeed the beta6 hitboxes. (the ones with practically invulnerable skulks....and numerous bugs, most of which we have confirmed are still there)

Lerks and fades are easier to hit, skulks are much harder. (Remember not being able to shoot a skulk on a phase gate? it's back! woo!) basically it's back to almost 0 hitbox front/rear, and very large hitbox on the sides.
              Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

I've trained myself to shoot at a fade's legs, since his hitbox used to end partway up his chest. Does this mean his chest is now a valid target, but I'm going to be missing by shooting through his legs? I'll have to learn to aim at Fades all over again. =(

Comment

One thing I noticed that is good about the new hitboxes is fades can acid rocket between onos' legs without hitting them. Useful.

I was killed as skulk on phase gates plenty of times, you sure there's a problem?

Comment

If you're positioned right your hitbox "merges" with the PG hitbox. You can still be killed, but it's much harder than it should be (and usually requires sombody be shooting into your backside)
                    basically if the skulk is on the far side of the PG facing you he's almost impossible to hit through the PG.

Comment

3.0.5 has been in public playtesting for over a month now, and I sincerely doubt that the 100+ people (including pubbers, competetive players, and playtesters) who played the pre-released version failed to catch the skulk phase gate bug that has already been a knowned problem in a previous version of the game. If you really think it is there, go post it on the ns forums because there it hasn't even been mentioned by anybody (that I can see), much less reported.

Also, the "practically invulnerable skulk" that I play as dies just as fast as it always did. I don't see too much of a difference in that department.

Comment

I... dunno.

I guess it's a little early to judge, but.. I really like the way the 3.0.5 build plays.

Comment

Erm, it plays almost exactly the same as the previous version...

Comment

Maybe it's the server optimizations. I just don't know. I can't put my finger on it.

Comment

Maybe it was just a fluke, but Keres was owning things when she stepped on the field after the update...

I'd say we go to Flayra's house and ask him what the hell happened.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X