Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old school NS player seeks advice

Heya guys,

Been playing a lot of BF2, but NS (back in the v1 and v2 days) used to be my FPS of choice. I've been wanting to get back into it, but have been a bit leery since SO much has changed since I last played regularly. I read through the Announcements forum and took a quick look though the Tactics, etc. forum, but I'm kind of looking for a "newb guide" for lack of a better term. Kind of the basic rules you vets would suggest I follow upon joining either side. Marines I'm not *too* worried about since I generally like to play grunt and/or base janitor and as long as I can follow orders, I'm generally ok. On the Kharaa side I'm generally clueless however. ;) Things have changed a LOT on that side. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."

Re: Old school NS player seeks advice

Man... I'd not know where to start. If you were totally clueless, I could do a walkthrough, but if you've got piecemeal knowledge, it's probably best to just jump in and see how the new version feels.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I agree. You've got the basics. Jump in and get wet.

NS is a great game.. but don't take that the wrong way...
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

A stale game of NS goes as following:
        Aliens get rts. Marines get rts. Marines try to kill alien rts. Aliens protect their rts. If they fail, marines get big advantage. If they succeed things go on as normal. Aliens get MCs during the rt assault. Aliens get fades/lerks/2nd hive starting. Marines try and kill alien hive with seiges or by sneaking a phase gate. If fade dies, 2nd hive dies, and marines win. If 2nd hive goes up, aliens win. Thats a stale game of ns, on tg, games can be that stale, but i'm sure most people will come up with some crazy ideas of things to try. That may or may not work.

Comment

For aliens, I would just join up and start by gorging a couple games to get a feel for it. Drop a RT, ask the team what chamber they want. Move away from the hive and heal skulks that needs healing.

Like the guys above have said, it's best to just join up and experience it yourself. Just don't go sensory first when your whole team is asking for movements. ;)

Comment

Speaking of which--you should be aware that the 1.x and 2.x bias towards DCs has shifted, and now people prefer MCs and tend to yell at you if you drop DCs. =/

Not to say DCs are useless, just that they won't be looked on kindly.

Comment

On this server, they will yell at you if you are a regular TG player and purposely drop DCs first without asking anybody like you did a few days ago.

Comment

Some advice- stay away from pfhor. He's a shady character.
                --------

Zephyr: Besides Wyzcrak and his godly voice; the kind of voice that you will expect to say "Zephyr, I need you to build an ark at Marine Start, with room for two of every structure so that I may turret spam for 40 days and 40 nights" that is.

Squeak:Sometimes I'm awed by zibs genius. Then I remember he's Canadian and I feel significantly less threatened.

Comment

Its ok, I am better off alone in the hive room with 20 skulks running toward me and your (un)leet medpacks/ammo skills backing me up.

PFHOR MEDPACK!

Comment

Yes stay away from pfhor, I can't explain in forums must ask privately lets just say it has ALOT to do with David Hasslehoff.
                    (\_/)
                    (O.x)
                    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Pfhor
                      On this server, they will yell at you if you are a regular TG player and purposely drop DCs first without asking anybody like you did a few days ago.
                      Worded differently so it's constructive: As mentioned in an earlier post, the general chamber preference has changed, with Movement being the most common starting chamber. Due to chamber rebalancing Sensory is not uncommon, nor is Defense, but the accepted practice is to get a quick vote of the team before building since the chamber choice gets locked into that hive.

Also, gorges no longer receive a triple portion of the res flow. Since all players receive res equally, gorge duties are often shared throughout the game. Since a player is now awarded res for a kill, you'll often see the player who's game is "on" being responsible for dropping the second hive or evolving to fade, since they'll have the resources to do so before anyone else.
                      "Hardly used" will not fetch a better price for your brain.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X