cl_lc, cl_lw, and cl_lb rates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cl_lc, cl_lw, and cl_lb rates

I was looking for some info on rates to tweak mine because I noticed some problems. I found this website with a guide on rates. Three new rates came up that I hadn't heard of: cl_lc, cl_lw and cl_lb.
    Originally posted by savageuk.com
    cl_lc
    To use this setting the server and modification must support lag compensation. On servers that have lag compensation enabled this setting toggles its use of lag compensation for the client, 1 to enable, 0 to disable. When set to 1 the server will take into account your ping when deciding if you hit your target or not. If you have a very low ping or wish the older style of play then set this to 0.

cl_lw This setting determines how weapons fire is controlled, for example with regard to sounds and animation. When set to 0 the client will perform as it used to prior to 1.1.0.0, the server returns/confirms weapon related sounds and animation fire information.

If you set this to 1 the clients weapon sound and animation will all happen client side as soon as you press fire. It should be noted that when set to 1 the animations and marks displayed are determined client side, as a result they may not be an accurate representation of where you are actually hitting.

It should be noted that the server always determines if you have hit your target or not, only weapon related sounds and animation are controlled by cl_lw.

You may find it useful to bind different settings of cl_lw and cl_lc for different weapons. It is very important to note that if you use a setting of 0 for cl_lw that the cl_lc setting should be set to 0. While cl_lc is supposed to be ignored when cl_lw is set to 0, some users have reported that manually setting to cl_lc to 0 was needed.

cl_lb
    Very similar to cl_lw, however this setting determines how blood and damage trails are displayed. When set to 0 the client will perform as it used to prior to 1.1.0.0, It should be noted that when set to 1 the animations and marks displayed are determined client side, as a result they may not be an accurate representation of where you are actually hitting.
    I found entries for cl_lw and cl_lc in my ns config. They were both "1" but I've set them to "0" for now as a test.

Basically my problem was that my client would draw models arund the corner before they got there (as I would frequently kill people after they exited my l.o.s.) and I would frequently succumb to these 'round the corner BS shots. I'm wondering if setting my cl_lc to zero will help more than adjusting the usual rates, or be more problematic?

cl_lb wasn't present in my config, and is only blood, which usually looks fine, so I don't think I should modify it.

cl_lw changes the gun sounds, and when I try to fire my pistol fast I usually don't hear all 10 shots so I'll see if the 0 setting helps.

I just thought, since rates come up here often, we should look at these "new" ones.

Re: cl_lc, cl_lw, and cl_lb rates

those aren't new. They turn on and off lag compensation.

Some consider setting those to zero to be an exploit.
    Steam Community: | |

Comment

Originally posted by kormendi
      Some consider setting those to zero to be an exploit.
      Exploit? Turning off lag comp so you rely on server information an exploit?

pfft. :/
      USAR

Comment

I put new in quotations because I know that they've been around for a while, but have never been covered (in the rates threads I've seen).

I found that cl_lw will make it impossible to switch weapons, keep it at "1".

No definitive reults for cl_lc "0" yet, I guess it might be considered an exploit?

I just wanted to stop having problems with 'round the corner shots. They make me sad :(.

Comment

The laggy hitboxes and "round the corner shots" are part of NS and the HL engine and the developers took them into consideration when they balanced the game. You just have to get used to it, cause they ain't going away.

Comment

Keep all these at 1.

It's really pointless trying to play with them at 0. If you want to play with really low lag compensation try ex_interp .01 - .05 and ex_extapmax 1.

edit: you might get choppiness if its really low, peronsally I use ex_interp .05 and ex_extapamx 1 but I change settings every onces and a while.
            Last edited by LazyEye; 08-10-2005, 10:14 AM.

Comment

OKay, thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Pfhor
                and the developers took them into consideration when they balanced the game.
                Hahaha! That's a good one! cracked me right up!

What that statement really should read is: The NS dev team couldn't do anything about them, so they totally ignored it.

There is no "game balance consideration" for laggy hitboxes, they are what they are. They didn't change weapons to fire slightly behind where you click to compensate, or lead the hitbox ahead of the model or any silly thing like that (intentionally, atleast). 3 1/2, the Dev-Team Fanboy ftl.
                a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I wouldn't really consider these commands to be an exploit, infact you would prob play a lot worse with them set to 0.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X