NS2 - What's different from NS1?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS2 - What's different from NS1?

So, I got the beta a couple of days ago, and have noticed there are a lot of differences. Can anyone give some of the largest ones they've noticed so far?

Some questions:

What are those power nodules or whatever? They are not res nodes, but I notice the marines building these little things on the wall.

Gorges now do what? What are 'eggs'? I've seen some gorges lay down eggs for others to use? Is that right?

What towers are available to aliens now?

Alien commander? WTF?

What else do I need to know?

Thanks.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Re: NS2 - What's different from NS1?

I'm pretty sure all these questions can only be answered once we have a TG NS2 server going... ;)
    "Hardly used" will not fetch a better price for your brain.

Comment

What are those power nodules or whatever? They are not res nodes, but I notice the marines building these little things on the wall.
      Power nodes basically 'turn on the lights' in an area. As a marine, you now have to restore power to an area in order to be able to utilize the resources in the area and/or build structures. There are ways of supplying temporary power to an area without power nodes being active, but they're costly. The aliens have to do something similar by spreading infestation in order to be able to build structures in an area.

In other words, rushing just got a lot harder.

Gorges now do what? What are 'eggs'? I've seen some gorges lay down eggs for others to use? Is that right?
      Same basic principle as NS1. Gorges build stuff. However, the hives now serve the same kind of purpose as a command chair. The eggs now serve as the alien version of infantry portals. When you are getting ready to spawn as an alien, you have to pick an egg to spawn from.

The rest of it, no clue as of yet.

Comment

Gorges now do what?
        They are able to bulid 3 hydras and 10 clogs for free. Hydras are like NS1 offense chambers and clogs can be piled up in a corridor to block marine access to an area. A well placed clog and hydra combo in the early game can deny marines a good portion of the map. I think they can also help the commander build structures faster with heal spray

What towers are available to aliens now?
        Crag - like NS1 defence chamber. Heals aliens in range and allows for regen and carapace upgrades
        Shade - like the sensory chamber. Cloaks aliens in range and allows for feint (like redemption but instead of teleporting back to hive, you fake death), silence, and camouflage
        Shift - like movement chamber. Gives energy to aliens in range and allows for celerity, adenaline, and hyper-mutation (faster and cheaper evolutions)
        Whip - short range melee, deflects grenades, can be uprooted and moved

What else do I need to know?
        http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wik...s_new_from_NS1
        Steam Community: | |

Comment

For me, the biggest difference has been the visuals. HL1 wasn't the world's greatest engine, but it made the lines between player, enemy, and environment pretty easy to distinguish. NS2 plays with a more subdued palette, and it's taken me a while to get used to it.

Both aliens and marines have things that need to happen in order for their stuff to work in a given area. Marines have those power nodes on the wall: without those, the area around it has no electricity to juice whatever buildings are around (BONUS: silly dark too). Aliens have those cysts that need to get built out from the hive; they spread infestation on which the alien commander can build. Cysts need to be (functionally) LOS from either the hive or another cyst, and so expansion is reined in.
          [volun2]
          NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
          Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
          <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
          <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Hello.

I've got some general questions.

How big are the maps? How long does a 'round' usually last? Is there friendly fire? Is team coordination through built-in VOIP (Steam VOIP would be fine too) or is it TS? What do you think the longevity of the title will be?

Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for the answers. I see I have some studying to do.

draeh, the maps seem smaller than NS1, and gameplay seems more concentrated. VoIP is built-in, and is excellent. Each team has a commander, and really, the game can't be played without them. I would expect that FF would eventually be turned on.

As far as longevity.. Who can say? The game is in beta, and it still remains to be seen just how good it will be. But NS1 had a great life here, and was one of the first TG games after GR that really stood out as requiring and rewarding teamwork. We used to have in-house teams and tournaments, and I lost hundreds of hours to the game. If this game turns out anything like NS1, then I think we will have a winner.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

The advertisement of mod tools is a good sign.

Comment

Originally posted by draeh View Post
                  The advertisement of mod tools is a good sign.
                  It's not just the advertisement; it's part of the design philosophy for the game and the company. A number of community-made things have already made it into the 'official' product.
                  [volun2]
                  NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                  Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                  <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                  <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X