NS2 reserved slots logic...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS2 reserved slots logic...

A note re: reserved slots, when they happen: it's DAK, not my code, that's choosing victims.

I can change the code (and humbly submit change recommendations to DAK's codebase), but changes to the logic, if we decide we want them, may come slowly.

Near as I can tell, it's choosing victims based on lowest score at the moment.

Again: reserved slots aren't on the server yet.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: AFK Kicker added; reserved slots soon

I should be around tonight.

Is the goal for the kick to be longest played instead of lowest score?
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

That's typically what we do. Lowest score will also have the effect of kicking the most recent joiners. Perhaps if there is an option to kick by highest score..

From their GitHub..

Basic Reserve slots plugin, however is more a proof of concept and does not have the ability to work in a way that provides a good user experience.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Its been so long that I don't remember how it worked on the old NS server. Was it highest, lowest, or random that would be kicked?

Comment

Re: NS2 reserved slots logic...

TGNS1 kicked the player with the shortest time connected. By removing players who haven't been here very long, you lessen the risk of strategic surprises. I suspect the same will apply to removing those with a very low score.

If that teammate hasn't earned much of a score, your team likely won't be too surprised, strategically, by losing her.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

If TGNS1 found any of the following, it would choose that player regardless of connection time:

- bad rates
            - players who refused the 'gb' command responsibility

Seems like there were other biases, too, but that's all I recall (and read from the old code).

Comment

Accepting that reserved slot logic has a limited impact on the gaming schedules of, well, anyone...

Kicking the lowest connection time motivates non-SMs to join the server when it's just getting started each evening, which creates value for Supporting Members, as the SMs are that much more likely to have a "full" server earlier in any given evening.

Comment

From a gameplay perspective this isn't nearly as important as it was in NS1. In NS1 the major advantage of shortest time connected instead of lowest score was that you had to avoid kicking the guy that had been saving for hive or fade and consequently hadn't gotten points from building. Now with the alien comm building everything it doesn't really matter as much, and specifically keeping low score players around because they may be saving for hive is no longer important.

Comment

There's still enough personal resources going around to affect the game. Saving for a hive isn't a big deal, but the guy saving for an Onos or Exosuit to turn the tide of the game is a big deal. In a perfect world, it would kick a random non-SM who wasn't the commander of either team and distribute their personal resources to either the rest of the team or to the commander.

I do however see how this system could be abused by res swapping intentionally. I doubt we'd have a problem like that on the TG server though.

Comment

I can see a danger that it kicks someone new to the server who just happened to snag an onos egg.

Comment

The problem with kicking the shortest time on the server is that it will allow some players to play all night long without being kicked (because he will always have a long time logged in), while another player may join and be kicked several times in the same night (because he will always have the shortest time on the server).

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I will attest that before i was an SM, it sucked sitting on autojoin waiting for a spot for 20 minutes just to get in, then kicked 5 minutes later. Buy hey, it encouraged me to look into getting a reserved slot myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogalo View Post
                          I can see a danger that it kicks someone new to the server who just happened to snag an onos egg.
                          That can happen to anyone who grabs an onos egg.

With the commander being able to purchase items, the new and longer playing player isn't going to be a large difference. I liked the kick of the longest playing non-SM in BF2 because it allowed more players to have the experience that they would become an SM for. I understand Wyz's logic for not wanting to kick non-SM seeders though, so I am personally torn.

Would there be anyway to give credit of some kind to players who joined when the number of players was below a certain threshold? It might be goofy after a server crash, but for the most part rewarding a seeder could be possible alongside a kick for other criteria as long as it didn't get too complex.

If I recall correctly, in NS1 the server was often full of SMs in prime time anyway...
                          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
                            That can happen to anyone who grabs an onos egg.

With the commander being able to purchase items, the new and longer playing player isn't going to be a large difference. I liked the kick of the longest playing non-SM in BF2 because it allowed more players to have the experience that they would become an SM for. I understand Wyz's logic for not wanting to kick non-SM seeders though, so I am personally torn.

Would there be anyway to give credit of some kind to players who joined when the number of players was below a certain threshold? It might be goofy after a server crash, but for the most part rewarding a seeder could be possible alongside a kick for other criteria as long as it didn't get too complex.

If I recall correctly, in NS1 the server was often full of SMs in prime time anyway...
                            Seed credits were a large part of the NS1 server, but Wyz and others coded a large portion of the back-end themselves. NS2 is pretty new right now and tools are pretty limited.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X