Rubberbanding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubberbanding

I jumped on the TG server today: massive rubberbanding. Every 3 seconds or roughly that, players are rubberbanding everywhere. This isn't a problem when the game just starts, but after 10 minutes, you can start to see skipping. It increases as the game goes longer as well. Some players believe this might be an issue with the tick rate, or some other rate setting on the server. People were complaining every game, so I thought I'd post about it.

Re: Rubberbanding

I can't pin it down. I get it about 5% of the time on the TG server, never on some random pubs, but almost 100% of the time on specific pub servers. Seems like a weird netcode thing that doesn't necessarily affect all players on a server at the same time.
    "Hardly used" will not fetch a better price for your brain.

Comment

I only started noticing it on the TG server after we installed the admin mod. I'm not sure it if was coincidence, or related.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Avs View Post
        I jumped on the TG server today: massive rubberbanding. Every 3 seconds or roughly that, players are rubberbanding everywhere. This isn't a problem when the game just starts, but after 10 minutes, you can start to see skipping. It increases as the game goes longer as well. Some players believe this might be an issue with the tick rate, or some other rate setting on the server. People were complaining every game, so I thought I'd post about it.
        Could be a hardware/load/number objects/cache not being cleared issue since it does tend to increase over time and has done so since I started the beta back around version 200.
        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Yesterday when I was playing for the first time, I felt like I was sticking to the terrain too much as a Skulk. I don't think they are related, but I did have connection issues at around 10, I think. It's something to consider that maybe it happened to more than one server.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

I haven't noticed it nearly as bad on other servers as I have on the TG server. It was so bad at one point, I literally could not click on a hive as alien commander to upgrade lifeform abilities because it kept jumping back to the previous selection screen. It does seem tied more to how long the game has been going on, rather than the player count. And it does seem to be getting worse as time goes on, but I've yet to do any logging so it's just my gut.

Comment

Hey there, guys.

I'd like to start off by saying thank you guys for bringing a server online.
              Many years ago, I used to play NS1 between the Lunixmonster and TacticalGamer servers, thought I eventually hopped onto the IAM-Clan servers, since TG always booted me for not having a reserved slot. :P
              I enjoyed that the server prized cohesive teamwork above all else, and the friendly fire also added an interesting dimension to the game.

I saw you guys bring back an NS2 server, so I bookmarked it and I've played on it a few times.
              I played last night as well, and I think I can try to explain this issue a bit.

Currently, I have my old TF2 community (ArsClan) re-purposing their dedicated server for NS2. Its hardware is a bit old, so I've been monitoring its performance relative to other servers.
              The rubberbanding that I experienced last night was quite severe, and appeared to be caused by the TG server's tick rate completely dying.
              To check this, you can type net_stats in your console, and it will tell you the server tick rate.

Optimally, it should stay hovering around 30fps, +/- 2 or so.
              However, as the server gets more and more loaded, and this issue seems to appear much more frequently in longer games, the server struggles to keep up, and the tick rate drops.
              On the TG server, I observed the tick rate plummet down to a near-unplayable 3fps.
              Many players assumed it was a problem with their own PC's, but this is not the case.
              As the number of entities, and especially the AI units (drifters, MACs, and cloaking also impacts heavily) increases, the server's tick rate begins to fall.

With our server, we're still running an old Q9550, and observe the same phenomenon. It starts off at 30fps, but toward the end of a round, it dips to 25 or so, with random drops to 15fps, though it usually recovers back up to 20-25.

It seems like to get solid/stable tick rates, the server should be running a CPU overclocked to at least the 4GHz range.
              I compared against the 20-player All-In servers, as well as a -[420]- 22-player server last night, as they both run 4.4GHz Sandy Bridge CPU's, and they maintained a solid 30fps tick rate throughout the endgame.

These are just my observations based on the information I have found thus far, and I hope it helps.
              I would love to see the TG servers be a great place to play smoothly again.

Comment

Several other players also observed tick rate dropping as well.

Comment

I can't make any promises since server provisioning is in Apophis's hands, but this is a known issue and solutions are being investigated.
                  Steam Community: | |

Comment

I have no idea if this is related, but one thing I've noticed on the TG server is the floating icons in the Ready Room for Marines and Aliens have some kind of "tick." On every other server, they slowly bob up and down and rotate counter-clockwise smoothly. However, on the TG server they will "tick" back a few frames both in the Y-axis and their rotation, essentially rewinding the animation a hundred milliseconds or so. It seems to be the same issue related to the rubber-banding. NOTE: I am the only one on the server at this point. For some reason, it happens much less when the game isn't in focus, yet still up on my screen as I am currently posting this on my second monitor with NS2 up in Windowed Fullscreen. When the game is in focus it happens at least every 1.5 - 2 seconds and as fast as .5 seconds.

EDIT: Ok, it seem that the TG server is letting me pull as many FPS as my PC wants and I didn't set my maxfps (which could top out at 120). By using the maxfps command and setting it to 60, that "tick" is gone. So, I don't know if this was all on my end, but I think it would be prudent to find a way to limit client rates.
                    Last edited by TheFeniX; 11-09-2012, 07:37 PM.

Comment

TGNS2 is quite sadly empty tonight. Have performance issues scared people off? Time to practice kharaamander.

Comment

I can confirm that the [420] and All In servers are extremely popular and also very smooth to play in and are a good comparison of what is desired from performance. Thank you for the info DarkScythe.
                        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I'm glad it was helpful. :)

Comment

Last night I kept an eye on it. I joined the empty server and it seemed ok. Once we had 10 people running around with only 4 minutes on the clock it was averaging around 20. Late game it gets worse, at 10 it's very difficult to hit much of anything. I also observed Fenix's hitching of the readyroom icons, though i only run 60fps at max, 20 in big fights.

Comment

darkScythe, thank you for this information. I too experience the tick issue. While it's frustrating, it doesn't happen enough to scare me away!

Oh, and welcome to TGNS!
                              birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X