back and forth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back and forth

So, those who just ended that game 11:08pm CST...was that not a dissatisfying end to such an epic battle? Not discounting the win...but I wanted more...
    "Hardly used" will not fetch a better price for your brain.

Re: back and forth

We forced the sucker punch.

Not fun to get sucker punched.

Coming off our ropes and putting them on theirs, such that the sucker punch was so necessary... that was satisfying.

Great game.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

How about an AAR? Sounds like a good match.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Feel free to correct anything. My memory is terrible, and I may have taken dramatic license at times. ;)

It was ns_veil, and our not-quite-up-to-the-task commander left suddenly while we were on the ropes. I mean.. we were just barely hanging on...

I'd say the game was about 15 minutes old at this point. It was the Kharaa's coaster, and we were ridin' it.

I hopped in the chair w/ 100+ unspent team resources, and the comeback was officially underway!

I got the Arms Lab cookin' and we all worked together to try to make a Phase Gate happen. Desperate to spend money immediately, I built a Robotics Factory and cranked out some MACs to assist w/ repairs and infrastructure. The MACs proved distracting enough to the attacking aliens. We got a foothold (our first) at SubSector Tech Point, and I surrounded a Sentry Battery, Phase Gate, and a bunch of motivated marines with three sentries and five diligently welding MACs.

We played tug-of-war for about 20 minutes with Skylights, Overlook, Topographical, and eventually SubSector itself, which we finally killed (twice?) and took. The aliens were doing a GREAT job on Extractor management despite multiple firefights in our map areas. We managed to hold nodes long enough to max out the Arms Lab such that the marines started slaying advanced aliens without advanced weapons! At that point, I was impressed and excited about the future.

With two Tech Points, I was able to grow my MAC Army to 10 count, such that my little robotic minions were able to perform some of the Extractor defense that the marines had been focused on. During a particularly nasty firefight in SubSector, I sent ARCs to seige out Nano (double nodes, in the middle of the map). We barely held SubSector, and marines started advancing on a now-approachable Nano. We setup a Phase Gate there, more Sentries, and both nodes. Now we had THE BIG MO.

Oh, and Yack gave us a NPG (Ninja Phase Gate) in Cargo at some point during all of that such that we took it down before they knew what had happened.

So, at roughly 40 minutes in, we're holding SubSector (although only barely), we've taken Nano (through sniege -- that's "sneaky siege"), we'd finally killed a few hives, and the res is starting to flow more quickly now.

We soon lost SubSector due to our inability to push and defend at the same time. But we were still doing really well, strategically and tactically, considering where we'd come from.

We balanced the teams after some aliens rage quit, and now it was time to push on the maOH AND NOW OUR COMMAND CHAIR IS GONE.

I saw the blinking icon on my map, but I had to do a double-take when I saw how many units were chomping on me.

And that's how fast it ended. I got no sound file notification that the chair was under attack, but that's not the scapegoat -- fund management is. They caught me without enough liquidity to beacon. I had enough time for two beacons. I actually think I had enough time to cancel something (an ARC in process--anything) to get quick funds, but I choked!

We had a Proto at some point, with upgrades, but I didn't do a good enough job of directing them (despite their making some great field decisions with the suits).

So, yeah.... GREAT GAME. This is pretty much how I felt afterwards:

And this, I suspect, is how the remaining aliens felt (and who can blame them?):

And here's the most exciting thing from that game for me, your lowly server manager... the server performed great during the whole game. Hopefully that will continue, as we were finally able to focus on the gameplay instead of the server.
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I will add that the Marines did a reasonable job (far from perfect, but better than many games I've played) in pursuing fleeing Onii. I wouldn't be surprised if our total Onii kill count was 10 or better. Wyz, I think your chair was already damaged from an Onos hit only 1-2 minutes before, and wasn't repaired due to all MACs and marines deployed elsewhere. I started sprinting from Topo? when I saw multiple aliens in base on my minimap (I only recall 3-4 dots), but the game ended 5 seconds later.
          "Hardly used" will not fetch a better price for your brain.

Comment

Fantastic writeup Wyz!

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Speaking for the alien team. You pissed alot of us off since you wouldn't die. We kept pushing, ya'll just keep shooting down our lifeforms. After our last lifeform died and ragequit we organized over in west, I came up from pipe area to make sure you were all in the hallways and attacked from behind as the skulks all rushed in and went for the chair. It was dead before you knew it, and at least on the alien side, a well deserved victory!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X