Added: pre-game delay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Added: pre-game delay

There is now a brief delay before games begin, to allow for planning (and, if you're done with that, maybe a few seconds of casual fellowship).
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Added: pre-game delay

This is something that should of been in the game to begin with. I can only see good things coming from this change.
    I am BB.

What do you think of that, Mr. Pajama-Wearing, Basket-Face, Slipper-Wielding, Clype-Dreep-Bachle, Gether-Uping-Blate-Maw, Bleathering, Gomeril, Jessie, Oaf-Looking, Scooner, Nyaff, Plookie, Shan, Milk-Drinking, Soy-Faced Shilpit, Mim-Moothed, Sniveling, Worm-Eyed, Hotten-Blaugh, Vile-Stoochie, Cally-Breek-Tattie?

Comment

Not missing the first minute 30 seconds of a game due to loading is a huge improvement!
      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Perfect.
        Skud

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
          Not missing the first minute 30 seconds of a game due to loading is a huge improvement!
          Buy an SSD. Keep the edge. Get all the girls.

On a more serious note, people need to speak up more in planning. More than a few times on aliens I've been asked if I want to kham, otherwise they'd do it. Wrong. Say "I'm kham, here's the plan," then explain said plan. I'll try setting a better example in the future than with my weak "meh, I'll always com if no one else does." I think we need more old-school PCS style planning sessions. Someone bring lunch, it's going to take a while.

Comment

I have a SSD, but I could probably use a bit more RAM. The first 10% of Precaching draaaaaags...
            |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
              I have a SSD, but I could probably use a bit more RAM. The first 10% of Precaching draaaaaags...
              Is NS2 installed onto it? My loads times were eviscerated when I used mklink to move my NS2 folder onto my SSD (since my Steam folder is larger than my entire SSD capacity).

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX View Post
                Is NS2 installed onto it? My loads times were eviscerated when I used mklink to move my NS2 folder onto my SSD (since my Steam folder is larger than my entire SSD capacity).
                The other question is how much RAM do you have. I have 16 GB, and my NS2 loads extremely fast because of the caching that Windows 7 does for the game. Windows 7, like Vista, is good at using spare ram to cache stuff you run a lot. So even though it loading off a Non-SSD drive, I often find myself in game around the same time as those that have the game on an SSD. Sure I might be able to get it faster if I moved it onto the SSD with mklink, but I get in fast enough that I don't want to send the limited space on my SSD when I am already getting in before the game starts.
                Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Loving the delay! Its like the old days again...

Comment

Bonus! There's a new feature in steam that lets you select an install folder when you install a game. No more dealing with mklink!

Comment

Originally posted by Eternaly_Lost View Post
                      The other question is how much RAM do you have. I have 16 GB, and my NS2 loads extremely fast because of the caching that Windows 7 does for the game. Windows 7, like Vista, is good at using spare ram to cache stuff you run a lot. So even though it loading off a Non-SSD drive, I often find myself in game around the same time as those that have the game on an SSD. Sure I might be able to get it faster if I moved it onto the SSD with mklink, but I get in fast enough that I don't want to send the limited space on my SSD when I am already getting in before the game starts.
                      10GBs, so point taken. But I still noticed a large decrease in load times by linking over to my SSD.

Comment

Using my 500gb 5k laptop hdd and oddly enough I feel like I am always in first. I think the graphical settings can be tweaked to improve loading time. If you enable texture steaming it will take a bit of time off loading
                        Lights Out!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX View Post
                          I thought so, but I will need to double check. I take it NS2 is the only steam game on the SSD and the main Steam folder is on the other drive?
                          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Originally posted by solarity View Post
                            Using my 500gb 5k laptop hdd and oddly enough I feel like I am always in first. I think the graphical settings can be tweaked to improve loading time. If you enable texture steaming it will take a bit of time off loading
                            You running windows 7 or Vista? If you are and you have enough Ram free and Run NS2 enough, you can find basically the whole game in RAM cached so it loads fast. Windows look at what you run a lot and how you run it and tries to preload stuff for you when it can. Play NS2 enough and around a consistent time and have enough Ram (Say always starting after 6 PM) and you find that an SSD will not help the load unless you boot the machine before you start the game.

There a reason why my machine is pulling NS2 off a spinning disk loads up with those with SSD. Windows is caching the game in the free space in my RAM. My machine is always on, and I tend to start around the same time, so I bet windows start to preload the files some time before I would normally start playing, so they are primed to go.
                            Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Interesting point, I am running Windows 7. I havent looked at upgrading, is there any advantages in upgradinf to 8 or is it another Vista/ME
                              Lights Out!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X