tightening our NS2 mod offering

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tightening our NS2 mod offering

Our NS1 mod offering was tightly controlled. That control lessened external surprises and enabled admins (and fellow players, even) to reliably cater to players' changing needs. I'm working toward that, but progress is slow. Apophis is excellent about getting admins what we need, but we're all busy (me much moreso than last time).

Our reserved slot code needs serious work at the moment. I want to bring back captains games such that team selection is an enjoyable, smooth process! I want to see the return of the likes of seed credits and the gb, whois, and temp admin commands.

Soon, I'll be able to author code (in mine and others' open source repositories), and I'm working on getting the server setup to make it easy (NS1 easy) for me to deploy those modifications quickly when I want to.

I'm not driving to some final point. Once I've got everything I want infrastructure-wise, change will trickle in slowly, with little announcements here and there. I just know that it's frustrating for players w/o behind-the-scenes access to go through these growing pains. It's been a long time ago (10 years?! whoa..), but we've done this before and it turned out awesome. I have no doubt that we'll get there again with NS2. Thank you for your articulate patience in the meantime.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: tightening our NS2 mod offering

Just spitballing here, but it looks like you could afford to sucker in a few more people to admin and/or clean up the forums via archiving all the old NS1 stuff so as to make it easier to find more info about the NS2 server.

Also, me and a few regs were talking about this the other night while seeding the server. It's been stated that we need to build a player base before really ironing out the details. I'm not big on building a player base that's just like every other server out there. I'm of the mind that we need to be kicking people into gear when it comes to making this server as awesome as NS1. We're already pulling in new players, which is awesome, but I find the ground-rules a bit lacking. Some pubs aren't listening to the commanders and/or not spending res/saving for tech that will never come. We're seeing a fair bit of white noise WRT text and voice chat (which even I'm a bit guilty of). Commanders without mics really grind my gears. I'll take a green commander who talks over the best one that doesn't. Basically, a few nagging issues are keeping a very solid server from being the best in the browser.

Yea, the game is still fairly new, but at some point, that excuse won't be relevant anymore. I'd rather kick that saying before it sounds old hat.

Like I said, just spitballing.

Comment

Yar, one or two admins would be nice to have. Or perhaps limited SM access so we could kick and/or restart the server if nessisary.

Comment

The seed credit system sounds like an awesome way to get people on the server early. The funny thing I spoke to donat and we decided to seed the server, about 30minutes later we had an almost full server.

I think a lot of people check the TG group and friends to see what server they are in. If they are in TG then they will join it.

I am thinking about joining TG, though would like to know more about where the money goes, etc. If by joining does that mean those funds will help to add 2 more slots to the server, etc? I know there is overhead with a website like this, etc. It would be nice if the server was so full that, I am forced to buy reserved slot. I like to learn a little bit about something before I join it.
        Lights Out!

Comment

I believe the slots were set for game play purposes, the goal being 8 vs. 8 with the extra slots to handle players leaving and joining without skewing the teams too much.

The supporting membership is for TG as a whole, one membership provides benefits for the website, games, etc. I think there is a good overall post that goes into more detail, but the core idea is that it supports the community as a whole even if individuals might just buy it for a single game. The reserved slot is a perk that goes along with it, but it is the continuous support of everyone that keeps servers available for all games.

It is my impression that the 'do we have enough to support NS2' thread in this forum was also asking 'will we have enough supporting members playing the title so the server is populated to make the cost worth it for the community as a whole'.
          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

This is correct:
            Originally posted by snooggums View Post
            It is my impression that the 'do we have enough to support NS2' thread in this forum was also asking 'will we have enough supporting members playing the title so the server is populated to make the cost worth it for the community as a whole'.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

For mod offerings, and seeding as I know lost has brought it up before but do you think the server is stable enough now for possibly a combat mod? one that could be toggled on and off easily enough of course..

Comment

Originally posted by Donat View Post
                For mod offerings, and seeding as I know lost has brought it up before but do you think the server is stable enough now for possibly a combat mod? one that could be toggled on and off easily enough of course..
                I'd like to see the old system where combat is the default until a min player count is met
                Steam Community: | |

Comment

You'll notice I've moved us to a new server. Thanks to Apophis for the help in making that happen. I have full customization freedom on this server, which is very important if we're to create a player experience as polished our NS1 offering.

All of the customizations to date have been others' code. I'll start introducing in-house code in the coming month. It will take several months before we approach NS1-like polish.

Comment

Thanks for your hard work buddy!
                    I am BB.

What do you think of that, Mr. Pajama-Wearing, Basket-Face, Slipper-Wielding, Clype-Dreep-Bachle, Gether-Uping-Blate-Maw, Bleathering, Gomeril, Jessie, Oaf-Looking, Scooner, Nyaff, Plookie, Shan, Milk-Drinking, Soy-Faced Shilpit, Mim-Moothed, Sniveling, Worm-Eyed, Hotten-Blaugh, Vile-Stoochie, Cally-Breek-Tattie?

Comment

Wyz - If you need any help with the code, I did a little bit in CS. I am not a full fledged app developer, though I have done a lot of perl and shell scripts at work.
                      Lights Out!

Comment

Reserved slots are still not working right at all. I often see the 16th player on the server kicked, only for another person to hop in and be kicked. This happened for several minutes, so I don't think it was an SM trying to join, but rather it decided to kick 1 slot higher then it should have.
                        Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

As you can see from the other threads, the code is starting to roll out for the concerns which are simpler to code (i r progrmer) and easier to test. We'll mature into addressing the complex, hard-to-test stuff. I'm also figuring out how to allow others to contribute code.

Comment

I've started work on the reserved slots code. Someone PM me with a quickness if you observe just horrendous logic at play this weekend.

Comment

Only thing I noticed playing last night was that the player lists were not updating properly, not sure what changed. But it kept starting the game properly and everything, so nothing too bad.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X