Balance and/or NS2 Etiquette for NS2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balance and/or NS2 Etiquette for NS2

One thing I was thinking of is we had so many rules and regulations laid down for NS1 that we should make sure they carry over to NS2 / make sure their all set up for new people who come along:

A given, mature community: That goes without saying.

---------------------

Who gets the Extra Player, marines or aliens?:

Now with aliens and marines both having a comm, the question comes to who should be the one to get the extra man. As far as I've heard for the arguments it should be marines that get the extra person. Though I guess the arugment could be either.. what do you think/want?

-----------------------

How long should the AFK kicker be?

Is it short enough?

----------------------

Random Balance: How would YOU want this balanced?

-----------------

Re: Balance and/or NS2 Etiquette for NS2

Extra man should go Marines, and this is why I think so.

Unlike the Alien structures, the Marines need to go to the location to build stuff. Sure they can make MACs that build for them, but if the Alien comm wants to go drop the node on the other side of the map, he just makes a cyst chain and it builds itself. If the marines want the node on the other side of the map, they have to walk over there, stand there to build it as well as defend it, and that means they are not elsewhere.

AFK kicker should be at 3 minutes. That enough time for a quick bathroom break or to grab a soda and get back to the game, but not so long that people who get tied up with something else when they go to do that hold a slot that someone else might want.

As for Random Balance, I think the settings Wyz had for the old balance plugin were rather good, so I would like to see that again.
    Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Add more spots to the server so the extra person has less of an impact on the game. Also a lot of people come and go, so I don't think people will be man down unless it is at the end of a game and people rage quit
      Lights Out!

Comment

The extra man issue isn't a problem from 5 v 5 and up, it is only a problem when there are a small number of players for the following reasons.

The Alien commander can hop in and out of the hive instantly, and if they die the team can quickly fall back to main. If the marine commander hops out, they can't beacon and getting in the chair allows a few seconds for a skulk to hop in and easily kill the comm when the base is under attack.

The alien building ability is even less important than the ability to use move able whips that attack both players and structures, while the marine commander can only use ARCS to kill buildings. So in low pop games aliens have a lot more opportunities for pressuring the marines.

Aliens only need to ambush marines to take the map while the comm is able to build at will. Marine have to spend money on MACs to allow the marines to defend while building, and structures don't finish on their own.

Once you hit around 5 players, the teams will be determined by organization and player skill instead of just how the structures and build processes work. I don't think having the extra man over that would be necessary but, having it as a general rule would be easier to understand.
        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I think regulars should go with the weaker team based on map/who might be on the server. If you see a lot of regulars on one team and the teams are even, no harm by joining the other team with new faces. Generally speaking, though, as noted above, I think extra player should go to Marines. They still have a lot of the same weaknesses they had in NS1.

No opinion on the AFK kicker, really, but I think 5 mins is good.

I believe all regulars should go random at map starts.

Oh, and all commanders must have voip. That needs to be official. I could care less if a comm has no idea what he or she is doing, they have to be able to effectively communicate.
          Skud

Comment

Yes, a commander with a mic is preferable, but...

I've had plenty of effective non-mic commanders, and I know |TG| has had at least one and possibly more deaf players in the ranks who were able to use text communication in games. Maybe just restrict it to 'commanders must communicate' and leave it to the players to eject if they so desire?
            |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

If teams are even, I go marine 99% of the time, unless the scores are obviously one-sided already in favor of marines. Teamwork on the ground is more critical for marines, and a rogue player or two on marines not following the commander's vision hurts the marine team more than it hurts on alien. That's at least the current state of the game and the player-base as observed recently by me.
              "Hardly used" will not fetch a better price for your brain.

Comment

Yep. A rogue lerk or fade is common with aliens, a rogue marine is just going to feed res to the aliens.
                Skud

Comment

Originally posted by Skud View Post
                  Yep. A rogue lerk or fade is common with aliens, a rogue marine is just going to feed res to the aliens.
                  What do you mean feed res?
                  Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

Originally posted by OscarTheCouch View Post
                    What do you mean feed res?
                    NS1 had Res for Kills, you get a kill and you or your team would get res depending on your side.

NS2 does not have this, so the only thing dying does is cost you any lifeform/equipment you had on you and respawn time.

Even the Equipment might not be lost if someone else picks it up before it disappears.
                    Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Lost is correct, but often in reality it's different. If you had any res on you (shotgun, welder, mines) that's likely to be gone forever if you're off wondering alone. I mean, you were alone to begin with, so the likelyhood of a friendly marine coming in time to pick it all up is lower.

Also, if you're alone in an area you're pretty useless as a marine. And if you die, that's one more part of the map vulnerable.

I still view rambo'ing solo as a marine as feeding res to the other team, just not in the literal sense now.
                      Skud

Comment

I am beginning to feel that forced random at the beginning of every new round is a bad idea. It often results with severely unbalanced teams, leading to either a quick stomp by one side or a slow drawn out loss. Perhaps a better policy would be to have regulars join first, evening out the teams out as best they can, followed by a random. What do you guys think?

Comment

afk kicker should kick to readyroom after 45 seconds, and should automatically kick whoever has been afk the longest when the server is full. This makes seeding and re-seeding easier.

Comment

Also would like the max to be 8v8.

Comment

Originally posted by violentsquirrel View Post
                              I am beginning to feel that forced random at the beginning of every new round is a bad idea. It often results with severely unbalanced teams, leading to either a quick stomp by one side or a slow drawn out loss. Perhaps a better policy would be to have regulars join first, evening out the teams out as best they can, followed by a random. What do you guys think?
                              Or SMs can be immune to random. So that way we can balance accordingly. Not sure mean that would be though.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X