This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob friendly server

How long are we going to keep this status? So many wasted games due to catering to noobs instead of competent players or supporting members.
    Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Re: Noob friendly server

What changes about the game (and/or server browser?) behavior if we change our server to no longer be "noob friendly"?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

We should want to attract players with a little more experience, that communicate via mics, know the game enough not to have to be micro managed all the time. More often than not the green players dont have mic's which make it way more difficult for communication, and communication is key. They sit around wating for orders, afk at spawn, dont know what a map is, jump in com..etc. With the little time i do get to play i like to have good games, win or lose, as long as people are doing what they are supposed to be doing the game is fun. Having the green friendly will jsut keep a steady supply of frustration coming to the server imo. Or maybe i should jsut shut my yap.
      Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

Being noob friendly isn't the issue, it is the people who think they know what they are doing when they jump on the comm chair, don't use the mic and don't listen ><. Snoogs and I wanted to kill this comm who left the arcs in Sub when we were holding off the entrance of Cargo for 7 minutes. We got armor 3 before we got weapons 1 and it took us 15mins to get weapons 1. One or two greens is not going to be an issue, I see they listen better than non-green non-regulars. People think they shouldn't ask questions as they don't want to look like a noob, so they make poor decisions instead of asking the regulars.

While it can be painful when the game is mostly filled with greens at time, it is a necessary evil as the only way to grow server regular population is to get new people who like our server and improve their skill. Trust me god knows how many time Donat and I have seeded the server and that first alien dominating game isn't fun either.

TBH it makes more sense for us to balance out the greens and regulars on each team so you don't have a team of green vs a team of mean. So it is our fault we have as many crappy games as we do. We know who the good players, we see how many greens are on our team and we can ask how many are on the other team. Lets get people to switch during the 90seconds so I am not carrying the team or bored because there is no challenge. We talk about balancing though when every good player gets random'ed to one team, no one switches. I guess I am also guilty of this as well. I can tell you who is going to win 90% of the time at the start of the game.

We do need to have patience with the noobs as it is critical, though at the same time there is a limit to my patience as I am an a-hole.
        Lights Out!

Comment

Honestly, your comments are very indicative of why I never played NS1 (but, although these comments are in response to you, they are not all directed at you personally!). The TG server was very unfriendly to noobs whenever I was on (and maybe I was a bit impatient and had high expectations due to the rest of the TG community). I'm very glad to see people actually helping new players learn the game mechanics, teach strategy and encourage teamwork, which is a marked difference from when I first tried to play NS here at TG.

If our goal is to eventually get a second server, we're going to need more SMs to pay for it. To get more SMs, we're going to have to impress new NS2 players by offering a server where people play the game the right way. For most of the games at TacticalGamer, SMs are paying simply to support the site. Reserved slots often aren't available. It always seemed to me that NS was the community that had the most SMs that only supported TG because of the reserved slot on the NS server. That's fine, but I think there's more to it than that. If we don't support TG by acting as "ambassadors" of our community, it makes it harder for TG to support us.
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Cingular does have a point, at least once or twice a night some noob asks, "how do i favorite a server?". Granted I wasn't a noob when I started playing on the server two weeks ago, though I was so impressed I joined the forums and then became a supporting member about 2 weeks after I joined the forum.

I think Wyz is the only person I hear over voice that peddles the server/community. Granted I am not a fan of "Tags" or "Clans", though I have to give props for people who wear the TG tag in game. I think it would look cool if we could get "TG" icons for supporting members so people know we are a close knit community.
            Lights Out!

Comment

Making every player on our server feel welcomed is more important than welcoming every NS2 player to our server. If we can manipulate the server such that it's filled with players capable of communication and understanding orders, I'm all for that.

But we can't start fearing the green. Because that fear leads to anger, and the anger leads to hate, and the hate leads to SUFFERING. Once we start hating the green, everyone loses.

Because what CingularDuality talks about above is real. And I understand two things: 1) we're all fine helping folks 2) we have limited stamina for doing this.

I want to automate the balancing of two things:

1) change the server to invite less-experienced players
              2) change the server to invite more-experienced players

I'll see what I can do.
              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I personally don't mind green players that much, but it does get tiring when you often have 4 of them on each team. I try and be helpful the first few games I am in when I see green people, but it does drain you and as the night goes on, I certainly get a lot less helpful then when it started.

The real issue that I have seen come up is when you get a vastly unbalance number of green players on one team. We had one game that it ended up 0 green marines - 6 green aliens. I tried my best, but a green tag says, and often is, you don't know much more then how to move around and maybe attack things. Teach me how to do other things.

People can learn if we given them instruction, it just takes time.
                Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                  Making every player on our server feel welcomed is more important than welcoming every NS2 player to our server. If we can manipulate the server such that it's filled with players capable of communication and understanding orders, I'm all for that.

But we can't start fearing the green. Because that fear leads to anger, and the anger leads to hate, and the hate leads to SUFFERING. Once we start hating the green, everyone loses.

Because what CingularDuality talks about above is real. And I understand two things: 1) we're all fine helping folks 2) we have limited stamina for doing this.

I want to automate the balancing of two things:

1) change the server to invite less-experienced players
                  2) change the server to invite more-experienced players

I'll see what I can do.
                  Yoda is right!

Maybe we should do a noob night where we teach people how to play maybe on a temp empty server or something, duno, just suggesting so we can get noob players and make them xp players in no time short. We could advertise this to noob players, it might help out a bit. Also it helps if they read up on how to play though there is not a good resource. I am writing up an alien guide.
                  Lights Out!

Comment

As long as players are able and willing to communicate, they should feel welcome *whether or not they know how to play*. Think of green as being an opportunity to personally address people who might need that extra call to attention, to show them NS is a team game.

That said, it can be draining and even frustrating when half of the players are rookies. It is difficult to teach an entire team at once. So heres some brainstorming:

1. Max 2 rookies per team before they are forced to spectate
                    * Kick precedence for a full server would be: Rookie Spectator, Rookie Player, Regular, SM, Admin
                    * It is a lot easier to teach one or two people the ropes while still having engaging, fun games.

2. Disable rookies from joining
                    * Have a rookie-friendly night where brave TG volunteers teach people how to play.
                    * It can be like inverse-captains, where the games are lower stakes and about learning to play, not winning.

Comment

We have to welcome and help new players along so that we have players to play with. Promoting teamwork and communication doesn't require that the new players already know what they are doing before they join the server.

The player that Solarity mentioned we wanted to boot was helped along for 20+ minutes but wouldn't listen to any of the advice given. Although the team was able to carry them along for that time, when the other team started pushing back they weren't completing basic needs that were not able to be met by the team.

Yeah, four players on a team that are learning is necessary if you want to play the game in 6 months with competent players because being elitist and shunning all that don't already know how to play will kill the population when there is turnover. Keeping the server as Rookie Friendly is a good way to keep that in our minds, we were all noobs once ourselves.
                      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I guess i have less patience with teaching as i have put in conciderably more time into the game than most here, and teaching was a big part of that and i guess im just tired of repeating myself. Im exausted and have done my part teaching. Call me what you will snooggums, i just want to play quality games.
                        Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

I didn't call you anything, I made a statement about the concept of being elitist and why we should avoid that.
                          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by micr0c0sm View Post

1. Max 2 rookies per team before they are forced to spectate
                            * Kick precedence for a full server would be: Rookie Spectator, Rookie Player, Regular, SM, Admin
                            * It is a lot easier to teach one or two people the ropes while still having engaging, fun games.

I like this. I love teaching new people how to play (provided they listen). Spread out the education and burden :)

I like playing on the TG ns2 server for the Fun, Friendly and competent player base. Fun and Friendly being the most important.
                            I am BB.

What do you think of that, Mr. Pajama-Wearing, Basket-Face, Slipper-Wielding, Clype-Dreep-Bachle, Gether-Uping-Blate-Maw, Bleathering, Gomeril, Jessie, Oaf-Looking, Scooner, Nyaff, Plookie, Shan, Milk-Drinking, Soy-Faced Shilpit, Mim-Moothed, Sniveling, Worm-Eyed, Hotten-Blaugh, Vile-Stoochie, Cally-Breek-Tattie?

Comment

I'd hope all our servers offered a decent welcome to new players and that there were sufficient players with the foresight to appreciate that helping those new players benefitted the whole community in the long run.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X