greeting new players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greeting new players

When a player that I don't recognize arrives on the server, I have the following conversation with him:

Me (voice): NewPlayer, can you hear me OK?
    NewPlayer (voice or chat): yes
    Me (voice): Great. My name's Wyzcrak. Welcome to the server.

This can foster three very important social dynamics:

1) NewPlayer has someone else on the server he's spoken to now. Depending on the scenario, this can be very helpful.
    2) I know NewPlayer can hear me. We require this on our server, and so that's taken care of.
    3) NewPlayer's earliest experiences on our server included someone taking a moment to welcome him.

That's a good combination when things are going well. So yay.

It's also an opportunity if things aren't going well (NewPlayer can't hear). Here's an alternate flow for that conversation:

Me (voice): NewPlayer, can you hear me OK? (always voicecomm, never chat; I'm not testing his literacy).
    < NewPlayer continues to play and never responds >
    Me (voice): NewPlayer, can you hear me?
    Me (chat): NewPlayer, make sure you can hear team voicecomm, as we require that here.
    Me (voice): NewPlayer, can you hear me OK?
    < NewPlayer gets kicked. sadface. >

In that scenario, NewPlayer is free to then get his game on elsewhere, and we're left with everyone listening when we make that big assault 90 seconds later.

This can help new players feel welcome while providing early enforcement of one of our most important rules.

In time, the server's tooling will let non-admins kick new players in this scenario (just as with our NS1 offering). In the meantime, ask for help from an admin.

This can go a LOONG way to making our target players return to our server time and time again.
    Last edited by Wyzcrak; 02-02-2013, 04:23 PM. Reason: added "My name's Wyzcrak" to original dialog
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: greeting new players

I like this
    Lights Out!

Comment

It was amazing today, I jumped on the server by myself and went to the bathroom. When I got back there was 5v5.

I took Wyz suggestion and did a welcome and some guy said, "wow, I have never been welcomed to a server". By just chit chatting with people saying hello, "can you hear me". Working out a small strat, I was amazed to see how much coordination there was. The second game as alien went very well we took over the whole map, the comm listened to my suggestions, the team listed to my suggestion and we ended the game by going after the power node. One marine said very impressed by the coordination on aliens side. That was w/ no other TG member on the server!

Even the 10 year old, "girl", was doing very well, not on kills though doing what we asked. He went gorge and built the hives and when we were rines he helped build the base. I was amazed by just how being welcoming people would listen to me and coordinate with each other. Nice suggestion!
      Lights Out!

Comment

I'm not 10, and I'm not a girl.
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Yeah right... ;)

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

A buddy of mine plays this game is in his mid 20's for some reason he has a crackily
            Voice. In voice chat after my friend spoke, someone mentioned, "I remember when I went through pubierty".
            Lights Out!

Comment

In the month since I started this thread, I've more and more applied the dialog from its first post. And I've been disappointed that the count of people who consistently and proactively do the same has remained so low. But it's understandable. Not everyone wants to be an ambassador. Some folks -- very nice folks -- aren't so socially outgoing. And that's fine. Some are happy to help build the community this way, especially with a gentle reminder (I often announce to my team that so-and-so-Stranger needs to be greeted).

But I get irritated when those same regulars (who don't/won't reach out to strangers) start repeating themselves when addressing those STRANGERS during HEATED gameplay:

"Shoot the node! Shoot the node!!"
              "Why are none of you saving double? Why is no one in double?!"
              "Someone needs to go gorge, guys!"
              "Why did you run?!?"

Inevitably, a tone of entitlement enters your voice, because you're entitled to an acknowledgement when you talk to a teammate on TGNS.... because we require that players communicate.

But that whole house of cards falls down when you allow someone to stay on the server who is NOT communicating. CHAOTIC GAMEPLAY IS NOT THE BEST TIME TO ESTABLISH THE FACT THAT SOMEONE CAN AND WILL COMMUNICATE.

Talk to players when they arrive. Say hello. Make them feel welcomed. Your gameplay will be more satisfying, and everyone will be better off.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I missed this thread in the past and will try to be more vocal to new folks. Unless it starts scaring them away. :p

Also, I knew that communication was highly recommended I wasn't aware that it was mandatory to the point of being worthy of a kick. Should we spur temp admins to do so if it happens or should that be reserved for standard admins?
                aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Temp Admins certainly should feel comfortable removing players who can't/won't communicate.

Comment

If it's not already in place (and I'm thinking it is but can't remember), could we get a join (or timed to remind them) message that states that communication and teamwork is required for play here for non primer signers?
                    aka Roland tHTG

Comment

I guess this would be the best place to post it. I kicked a player today because they were nearly impossible to shoot because their ping was so bad. Played two rounds like that, waited for it to improve, but it never did. A room of 5 marines couldn't kill him.
                      |TG-Irr|PricelineNegotiator

Seaman

Comment

Originally posted by PricelineNegotiator View Post
                        I guess this would be the best place to post it. I kicked a player today because they were nearly impossible to shoot because their ping was so bad. Played two rounds like that, waited for it to improve, but it never did. A room of 5 marines couldn't kill him.
                        I had a horrible ping yesterday afternoon for about 20 minutes and it didn't stop anyone from killing me!

Oh, and to get back on topic, I feel like Wyzcrak's post could be about me (or a couple of other people who come to mind). I know I'm horrible about this and I'll try to be better.

Solarity is VERY good about this and I thank him for that.
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                          I had a horrible ping yesterday afternoon for about 20 minutes and it didn't stop anyone from killing me!

Oh, and to get back on topic, I feel like Wyzcrak's post could be about me (or a couple of other people who come to mind). I know I'm horrible about this and I'll try to be better.

Solarity is VERY good about this and I thank him for that.
                          No, his ping was fine, but he was still lagging around he was a fade even though he was a lerk. I asked the other players and they said they were getting the same thing from him. So I booted him after about 2 rounds.
                          |TG-Irr|PricelineNegotiator

Seaman

Comment

Another thing i'd like to add in: if you're talking someone through signing the primer/registering on the forums/putting their NS2 ID in profile/etc, that is a FANTASTIC opportunity to not only get them on teamspeak, but also invite them to explore TG at large, and not just get cornered into the NS section of the community. Thats not to say that we dont want them to play NS, but if they're on the fence about becoming a SM, perhaps seeing the sheer volume of titles TG supports and that they are welcome to pop in on any of them at any time might sway them toward being a contributor.

Also, to that end, if anyone here hasnt gone out and explored the rest of TG, I HIGHLY recommend it. One of the best decisions I ever made in my gaming career was to not just stick to the NS forum and almost 7 years later...

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                              ...that is a FANTASTIC opportunity to not only get them on teamspeak...
                              What do you use TeamSpeak for when you have very reliable and clear in-game voice comms?
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X