This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ns2stats?

Do we have it and if not, can we get it?
    Lights Out!

Re: Ns2stats?

What is it, what does it do, and why would our server want it?
    Skud

Comment

Contributes statistics of games, players, lifeforms, maps, etc. Might help with balance mod, might help with general game balance (as devs do look at it).

Comment

The stats that query our server doesn't take in that much data. It would be nice to record comm infom so it puts one person who likes to comm on each side. Also it would give people like donat and wyz higher ranks since they comm a lot and not just go by score.
        Lights Out!

Comment

I know the Devs/Admins/Mods have a ton on their plate, though any reason why we can't have this?
          Lights Out!

Comment

Originally posted by Skud View Post
            What is it, what does it do, and why would our server want it?
            TL;DR As a builder of a casual gameplay community, incentivized against stats. They don't offer enough benefit to our core offering -- casual play, and I want to prevent their potential negatives.

The ability to balance the teams intelligently is a compelling offering. I'm currently working to see what I can build in that regard as a substitute to ns2stats, and things look promising based on my limited testing so far.

On the flip side, these stats can be a harbinger of digital machismo, putting "how did my team do?" into the shadows of "how did *I* do"?

Years of personal experience tell me that many players can and will responsibly use their personal stats (comparitively, even) without creating social harm. Those same years tell me that those who do abuse the stats create noteworthy social harm, as their willingness to participate in teamwork becomes proportional to that teamwork's ability to promote their personal stats. My net opinion is that the stats do more harm than good to our casual gameplay core. Players prioritizing casual play over competitiveness can continuously improve their competitiveness without stats, and players prioritizing the inverse tend to misalign themselves with this community given enough time.

A player's this-game score/performance can and will influence what role he should be playing on his team, but I've got reservations about a player feeling entitled to participate or not participate in a particular team role due to past history. I have a terrible history as fade, but I will go fade if that's what the team wants. I'm one of the best commanders we have, but I will let someone else command if that's what the team wants. There's a certain caliber of player who begins to feel entitled to doing what he thinks is best based on what his personal past performance tells him is best, and giving that mindset data isn't justified by scores of players who find that data interesting and could take it or leave it.

The most competitive and/or talented among us tend to want this. Most middle-of-the-road players could take or leave the plugin, and they certainly don't want the atmosphere it tends to promote.

These words I'm saying don't sound like they promote dialog, and that sucks, because I do want to hear from people. I just work really hard to create an atmosphere of casual-over-competitive (with plenty of the latter), and stats are sugar water for the opposite. It only takes one person on the team with the wrong mindset to take teamwork from memorable to meh.

I think of spectating as an analogy. Most people on the server (aka "players") could take it or leave it. I recently disabled it because it aids certain mindsets I don't want (aka "griefers", "ghosters", etc). Ideally, I'd keep spectator available to those with the right mindset and manage the offenders instead of the feature. But time is not infinite, and spectator just doesn't offer enough benefit to our core offering -- gameplay, and so I disabled it to prevent its potential negatives.

I'm similarly incentivized against stats. They don't offer enough benefit to our core offering -- casual play, and I want to prevent their potential negatives.
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

My short and sweet opinion is they promote personal play over team play.
              aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Originally posted by bentring View Post
                My short and sweet opinion is they promote personal play over team play.
                Assuming the stats are public, I agree. If it's possible to capture the stats, but keep the data private for other plugin use, then that would be cool. I've just seen public stats make several other servers go downhill here at TG. Removing them improved teamplay immensely.
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

+1 to the above 3 comments. You gents put it much better than I could have. Besides, I already know as cold hard fact that I have 5 parasite kills, one of which was Donat. Thats the only statistic I care about.

Comment

If we could keep it private and use the stats for random/balance mod. The only public thing I would like to see is the marine to alien win/loss. Though I bet we can get that w/o na2stats. I know aliens win about 60% of the games from ns2stats, I am curious if that number changes with our server and servers with higher or lower populations.

Thanks for bringing up the point of changing the way people play, never really thought of it that way.
                    Lights Out!

Comment

It would be better if you had to type !stats or something like that. Not a scrolling list that says Priceline is the best player and if you're not first, you're last. Sure, people would check the stats often, but more than once every few days? I doubt anyone does that.
                      |TG-Irr|PricelineNegotiator

Seaman

Comment

methinks PricelineNegotiator underestimates the ego of some gamers. :D
                        aka Roland tHTG

Comment

First everyone knows Pipeline/Priceline is #1

Secondly I think this topic is dead. There is stats on who has the most points and time played on gametracker. Though as comms dont get points, take it with a grain of salt. So all you can see is sort it by loosers with no life (time played). FYI we (priceline and I) are in the top 3 losers =(
                          Lights Out!

Comment

Originally posted by PricelineNegotiator View Post
                            It would be better if you had to type !stats or something like that. Not a scrolling list that says Priceline is the best player and if you're not first, you're last. Sure, people would check the stats often, but more than once every few days? I doubt anyone does that.
                            Clearly you've never been rank 7 on a server out of thousands, grinding every day to gain rank.

:p
                            Skud

Comment

Originally posted by Skud View Post
                              Clearly you've never been rank 7 on a server out of thousands, grinding every day to gain rank.

:p
                              Clearly you've never been rank 6, as that's what I am.
                              |TG-Irr|PricelineNegotiator

Seaman

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...