Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do the health bars represent on buildings?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do the health bars represent on buildings?

So, when I'm chomping on a Marine building, there's a thick orange health bar on top, and a thinner, reddish health bar underneath that one. What do these represent? I know on the actual Marines, that a welder can repair the red bar, but not the orange. But a welder will repair both bars on a building. I always assumed that one was health and one was armor/shields. I also, for some reason, assumed that it was like the Protoss from Starcraft, that one of them would heal over time, but that the other had to actively be repaired. That's not the case. So what is the difference, or is there no practical difference?
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: What do the health bars represent on buildings?

One is armor (thinner) the other is health. Obs and Protos have no armor :)

As the structures can't move and go to the Armory to heal and it would be cheap to drop health packs to heal the structure I think they allow welders to repair both health and armor of structures. :) Welders can only weld armor for Marines.

Though you might have brought up a point, why do heavies have only armor, but structures have health and armor?

-Solarity
    Lights Out!

Comment

Without new special rules, Lerk gas would kill a marine in an Exo suit since it bypasses armor...
      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

your lerk gas doesn't kill structures
        Lights Out!

Comment

Structures aren't soldiers. Structure health/biological health/armor are three different types to my knowledge.

Maybe they wanted it to be easier for the player to track.
          Maybe they didn't want exos to have to be healed in addition to welded.
          If they didn't take health damage, then when the exo suit broke you would be an unarmed marine.

Basically, once in the suit, there isn't a reason to exist once the suit breaks so might as well just track a single value at that point.
          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

It's not an exact one to one relationship either. Armor protects health by lessening the damage done (in most cases, lerk gas is an exception for marines). This applies for structures as well. When that armor gets chomped off of a structure that structure takes more damage. Armor for structures only gets restored once the base health has been welded. I think it's a good measure for all things when it's time to retreat, or in a structure's case when it definitely needs a weld. If a power node is being harassed but has it's armor up, it's probably best to push. When it's armor is depleted you need repairs asap.

Comment

I think the health of the structure is more along the lines of crucial components and foundation being damaged while the armor being damaged is just the body or extra pieces of metal that aren't needed for function. The more sophisticated or complicated the structure, the less armor it would have because more components are necessary to work. I think that would be why the exo has it's armor value as it's health because of all the complex machinery required to keep the pilot alive and the walker functioning.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

One thing to keep in mind. Light damage is absorbed 4 points per point of armor, medium is 2 points of damage for point of armor and heavy is 1 to 1. Health is always 1 to 1. As well as a pile of other things.

Originally posted by the ns2 wiki
                Normal
                Every armor point of the target will absorb 2 points of damage
                Frontiersmen: Assault Rifle, Shotgun, Sentry, MAC Attack
                Kharaa: Bite, Parasite, Spit, Hydra Spike, Poison Bite, Xenocide, Drifter Attack

Light
                Every armor point of the target will absorb 4 points of damage
                Frontiersmen: Pistol, Mine

Heavy
                Every armor point of the target will absorb 1 point of damage
                Frontiersmen: Minigun

Puncture
                Does 25% extra damage to players. Every armor point of the target will absorb 2 points of damage
                Kharaa: Lerk Spikes, Swipe, Gore

Structural
                Does 100% extra damage to structures
                Frontiersmen: Switch-Axe, Grenade Launcher, Claw
                Kharaa: Lash

Structures Only
                Only damages structures
                Frontiersmen: ARC Cannon

Corrode
                Deals damage to structures only and double damage to armor.
                Kharaa: Bombard, Bile Bomb

Door
                Attack may deal damage to doors, as well as structures. Armor is treated as 1 point of Health.
                Kharaa: Smash

Biological
                Only affects non-mechanical units
                Kharaa: Heal Spray

Gas
                Only damages player health
                Kharaa: Spores

Flame
                Deals 300% extra damage to flammable structures
                Frontiersmen: Flamethrower, Welder
                Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

I meant to post that the other day when reading this thread but never got around to it. I find it amusing that the whip does extra structure damage with lasy and bombard for the kharaa. It's as if the devs want folks to whip rush marine bases.
                  aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X