Concerning the extra slots

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concerning the extra slots

Is there any way we could get something on the server similar to how this works. http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/for...post&p=2026972

It's a plugin for DAKmod which checks the player count and when it reaches a desired number it puts a password on. When the server drops below that number the password is removed. I'm guessing the server administration tools are/will be custom and doesn't use DAKmod but Zek said it wasn't too difficult to come up with and remembering the things the old TGNS server had (some of which became official IIRC) I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem.

Ideally it could also allow a SM to join the server without having to kick anyone on the server, and allow player count to drop back to 16 as people leave or map change. This would also be better for players remaining on the server since the remaining players wouldn't have to deal with the loss of Pres, weapons, healing gorge, teammate pushing an area, etc when someone randomly gets kicked.

The situation now is not good for non-TG players who don't know about the nature and philosophy of TG and will give them a bad experience before they can become a part of the community. Since people get kicked at random and when they try to join, after sitting through the loading process, almost every game I've played people are asking why their buddy gets kicked on joining or why they got randomly kicked a few minutes ago etc.

I'll just be honest and blunt here, but if I hadn't played so much NS1 with you guys I very seriously doubt I would have gotten a SM and instead would have just made a mental note to never join the TGNS server they way things currently are. I'm confident there are other people similar to myself but may not have a chance to realize a SM is worth getting with the current setup, much less become a contributing member of the community as a non SM.
    aka Roland tHTG

Re: Concerning the extra slots

We used to use the DAK reserved slots system, but wyz has since written his own. I think at one point we were even using a password as Zek described, but I can't recall why it was removed. Maybe wyz can comment.
    Steam Community: | |

Comment

Putting a password on the server has several side effects which are good or bad depending on the scenario or the audience.

A client providing a password when none is required will be refused entry. This means regulars (SMs, even) using desktop shortcuts to directly join the server would need two shortcuts (one with the password and one without), and they'd have to know which to use, else they would be denied entry. Indeed, even if they checked if the server was full before joining, it can change in an instant, which means they'd sometimes get denied when they actually tried to join the server.

UWE has acknowledged the server operators' clear guidance that they need to give us a reliable way to lie to server browsers about how many slots we have, so that hopefully will come soon.

In the meantime, we could show a text message to every stranger ("?" players) when another player's inbounding request failed due to reserved slots. The idea is that new players trying to bring their buddies in would get notified (along with the other strangers) when their buddy tried (and failed) to join.

The password can still happen, but it certainly is not the clean solution it seems like at first glance.

Accepting I may be wrong, I'm of the mindset that anyone who's been pubbing for a short time understands he can't trust the open slots count in the server browser.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Having used the password solution on Scarytown (Penny Arcade) , I definitely understand the drawbacks but overall it worked well so I was just throwing it out there. The preferred solution to the ever-changing password for most folks was to just join via the steam server browser and the few times the state of the password changing kept you from joining it simply meant once the game loaded you would just join via favorites in the NS2 server browser.

Maybe some further admin tools will be released with the upcoming content patch, and if not, your house, your rules. :D I'll be happy just being part of an active community and the price of SM is a lot cheaper than a server.
        aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Sometime in the next 24 hours, I'll be changing the server such that:

Players bumped by reserved slots will see the following message both 1) in chat before being kicked 2) in console (if they check it) after being kicked

Code:
          [TGNS] Wyzcrak was bumped by reserved slots. This server is full at 16/20.
          All strangers on the server will also see this message, so any buddies of the victim which are already on the server should get a clue.
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
            Sometime in the next 24 hours, I'll be changing the server such that:

Players bumped by reserved slots will see the following message both 1) in chat before being kicked 2) in console (if they check it) after being kicked

Code:
            [TGNS] Wyzcrak was bumped by reserved slots. This server is full at 16/20.
            All strangers on the server will also see this message, so any buddies of the victim which are already on the server should get a clue.
            I like this, it reduces the ammount of damage control we have to do when someone asks in game or on forums. Though keep in mind that until we can put a reason in the kick message some people may not notice the messages.
            Lights Out!

Comment

Add something about only supporting members being able to join after 16/20 and it may give an incentive to get SM.
              |TG-Irr|PricelineNegotiator

Seaman

Comment

Anything you can do to lessen damage control would be helpful. I have been around TG for a long time and am aware how SM stuff works, but it confused even me when I tried to play NS2 with TG for the first time the other day, and got kicked as soon as I joined. I am used to just not being able to join if its too full, or being kicked after awhile to make space, but getting kicked as soon as I join is new to me. I didn't even think about it being an SM thing, so I spent a couple hours trying to figure out what was wrong with my internet/computer.
                May you be covered in the dust of your Rabbi.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X