new friends and old friends...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new friends and old friends...

The server reserves 25% of its slots for potential new friends. Otherwise, we aim to keep the server full of known friends. Growth and great games.

Jargon for this post (assumes you've read NS2 Community, Server, and Procedure Information):
    "SM": shorthand for Supporting Member
    "Primer Only": player who has signed the TGNS Primer and is not a Supporting Member
    "Stranger": player who has not signed the TGNS Primer and is not a Supporting Member

Always
    SMs can always join the full server. They're never bumped by reserved slots.
    Strangers can never join the full server.

When more than four strangers are on the server
    Primer Only or SM joining the full server will bump a Stranger.

When four or fewer strangers are on the server
    Primer Only cannot join the full server.
    SMs joining the full server will bump a Primer Only. If no Primer Only exists, SM will bump a Stranger.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: new friends and old friends...

One problem I did notice with this. I was lanning with a friend and everyone on the server was a sm or an admin. He was the only P, he got booted even though he had more time than the new comers. In this senario it might be better to not sign the primer when there are a lot of sm's playing like recently. Could we have logic added to allow for 2 p's and 2 ?'s when everyone else is sm's. Then if a sm joins kick a ?, then kick a p for the next sm and keep alternating till we only have members.

A friend of mine and my old man play this game, but only when I am playing it. It is nice to play with them on my fav server, though as they seldomly play this game SM is not an easy sell. P is a great idea to keep them from being kicked. However the recent success of the server with all the SMs is hard to get primers from beig kicked.

If this keeps up we might need another server, we are #18 overall last I checked.
    Lights Out!

Comment

Originally posted by solarity View Post
      ...we are #18 overall last I checked.
      Where do you check this?
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Signing the Primer isn't a proxy for being an SM, but it is given preference when the SM population is low to promote a population that reflects the ideals of the community all of the time while still giving newer players a chance to stay and experience the community when is is busier as well.
        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
          Where do you check this?
          http://www.gametracker.com/server_in...9.99.67:27015/
          We are 17th now :D
          Originally posted by snooggums View Post
          Signing the Primer isn't a proxy for being an SM, but it is given preference when the SM population is low to promote a population that reflects the ideals of the community all of the time while still giving newer players a chance to stay and experience the community when is is busier as well.
          At the same time should we punish the primers, when the server has a lot of SMs on? If you have a better chance of staying on w/o the primer then doesn't give incentive to not sign it or delete their post on the primer? I have a feeling that this will become more of the norm as we get more SMs and as the server becomes more popular. Two people I played with before I came to TG are now supporting members after I started playing, they are also in the top 10 players for hours logged. My point being we are getting a lot of supporting members.

Don't get me wrong I love the mods, I just think primers and new comers need to be more balanced when we have a server full of SMs other than that they are great!

Lastly are comm/khamms excluded from kick list? Loosing a comm can loose us the game.
          Lights Out!

Comment

We are 17th now :D
            If you consder that two of the servers above us are AVP servers and one is a NS1 server, we are really at 14. We're 10th in the US.
            Steam Community: | |

Comment

The admins discussed this strangers/friends balance at length before implementing it. It will be a while (or dire effect) before we change it.

Additional incentives will come along for players to sign the TGNS Primer.
              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by kormendi View Post
                If you consder that two of the servers above us are AVP servers and one is a NS1 server, we are really at 14. We're 10th in the US.
                Really cool, we can say we are in the Top 10 US NS2 Servers!

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                The admins discussed this strangers/friends balance at length before implementing it. It will be a while (or dire effect) before we change it.

Additional incentives will come along for players to sign the TGNS Primer.
                This is good to know, just wanted to give you guys some input, great work so far!
                Lights Out!

Comment

Concerning playing the system by not signing, I thought the same thing at first solarity, but then I remembered the NS1 server having perks for signing such as seed credits where a Primer signer could enter the full server once for each time s/he joined the server with < X number of players to help kickstart it for the day so I kept my mouth shut. ;)
                  aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Originally posted by kormendi View Post
                    It's nice to see that the ns2 community likes how things are going here. Respect to the admins for building TGN out.

>BUT<

Ignore the stats! They are dangerous! TGNS goal is not #1 NS2 server by ranking, but #1 NS2 server by awesome teamplay! If we get both, that bodes well for the NS2 community though :)

Comment

Originally posted by micr0c0sm View Post
                      It's nice to see that the ns2 community likes how things are going here. Respect to the admins for building TGN out.

>BUT<

Ignore the stats! They are dangerous! TGNS goal is not #1 NS2 server by ranking, but #1 NS2 server by awesome teamplay! If we get both, that bodes well for the NS2 community though :)
                      The top servers look to be very large 24player so I am wondering if that can be a bit much. I would hate to see 8 onos at once ><.
                      Lights Out!

Comment

The top servers look to be very large 24player so I am wondering if that can be a bit much. I would hate to see 8 onos at once ><.
                        Exactly why I don't want us to cater to be the most popular server. 24 player, combat-only, might be popular but ain't fun for me nor promoting teamwork .

Comment

Originally posted by micr0c0sm View Post
                          Exactly why I don't want us to cater to be the most popular server. 24 player, combat-only, might be popular but ain't fun for me nor promoting teamwork .
                          If we were catering to the top we wouldn't be playing NS2.

It feels like aliens do win more rounds, I know I feel like I have a bigger impact when playing aliens than marines. If aliens win more and marines have a bigger advantage in larger game, why not find the right balance so it is 50/50? Imho I am not a fan of those hige servers though i would like to see 1 more on each team with a max if two.
                          Lights Out!

Comment

If we were catering to the top we wouldn't be playing NS2.

It feels like aliens do win more rounds, I know I feel like I have a bigger impact when playing aliens than marines. If aliens win more and marines have a bigger advantage in larger game, why not find the right balance so it is 50/50? Imho I am not a fan of those hige servers though i would like to see 1 more on each team with a max if two.
                            Mostly because I'd rather the game balance for a range of server sizes than the servers balance for the current iteration of the game. You would constantly play catchup. With the current map sizes I like that you have to make tactical decisions. With 9v9+ those decisions go away for the sake of balance in a game that is very much in its infancy.

Comment

Balance and everything else aside, keep in mind most of the always full 24 player servers are clan based so they may have a following simply from that. Also most folks tend to sort the server browser by full to empty so the ones full or close to full will tend to refill as people leave. IMO that's the biggest positive to have a large server so when half the people leave there's still enough on to attract more folks to fill it back up. Honestly though, I'd rather play 6v6 than 12v12 because 24 players just feels like a spam fest and my pc runs like crap after 10 minutes or so with that many people playing. 8-10 players on each side seems like the sweet spot to me, but 10 is really pushing it on some maps.
                              aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X