Stressing out as Commander.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stressing out as Commander.

OK, so I've been trying to command more lately, and I'm definitely getting the hang of the alien side, but have quite a bit of work before I'll feel comfortable on the Marine side.

What I have noticed is that I stress a lot as comm. I find myself losing it a bit when I ask the entire team to focus on an objective and only one person heads there. I find myself raising my voice a bit, and the ire creeps into my commands. After playing for other commanders, I know it can't be pleasant to hear me whine about our team not being able to hold on to some res node that I consider vital to my grand strategy.

So, first of all, I apologize for not being calm, cool and collected like some more experienced comms. I guess I need to embrace the fact that I can't control everyone like pawns.

Next, I'd love to hear any tips and tricks that other comms have for dealing with a less than responsive team. I've heard Wyz ask people if they can hear him, if they have a mic and ask for cooperation. I've tried that effectively when it was just one or two non-teamplayers, but it's difficult when most of the team is ignoring you.

In the meantime, when I'm commanding, please bear with me and don't be afraid to remind me that it's just a game!
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Stressing out as Commander.

I think the problem is that we've been very lax in how we run the server compared to NS1 and many other TG titles. I can recall back in the NS1 days, when the comm said to go somewhere or do something, you did it. If you had an alternate suggestion, you could pose it, but generally you just followed the comm, because if you didnt, you were very likely to get the boot for not following orders. It works the same way in almost every other title TG supports. Hell, I remember times in NS1 where certain commanders would give orders to a team and if they didnt listen, they'd just beacon them back to base, give the order again, and repeat as many times as necessary. 3 becaons was the max I ever saw it get to before people started getting kicked from the server.

As a result of not taking that stance, many people are under the impression that the comm is just a figurehead. "He gets us upgrades and thats all!" they shout. People just dont have an incentive to listen to the comm. Aside from taking punitive action against people who just blatantly refuse to follow orders, Im not sure what else can be done to fix it.

Comment

It takes a lot of patience. If you are good at multitasking like wyz then u can do a lot with very little stress. Wyz suggestion on Mic checks do help. I am not the biggest fan comming as I have poor multitasking and I don't want to come across as a jerk for taking out my frustrations on a team that half the people dont cooperate. If no one wants to comm, I tell them I will do it, though I will be a raging condecending ahole. Still people want me to comm even after the disclaimer and I will do it if everyone else runs away from the chair. I prefer not to waste peoples time even if it means I have to comm. imho get more practice as alien comm it will help compared to marine. I am fine with khamm, just feel like I don't enjoy the game as marine comm, but will do it in a pinch. We all have our limit where we can act like jerk, though a position where you are a critical point of failure can put a lot on your shoulders. Sometimes you just end up with a heard of kittens for a team.
      Lights Out!

Comment

I think Bad Company 2 and BF3 have standard rules regarding how to give SA over voice chat. so that "Hey i just spotted two guys" becomes "Contacts: 2: Construction yard". perhaps we could have a discussion here in the forum for a standard way for comms to give verbal orders.

Something like "I need help in double" becomes "Whole Team: go to double: NOW!" or "Marines in subsector: go to double: NOW" or "Player name: go to double: when you are done killing that res-node" this way it is clear what orders are for who.

we cant enforce this for outside comms and i don't want to cramp anyone's style if they done want to follow. (you would sound more robotic) But i feel like the more authoritative a comm sounds the more their orders will be followed.
        "The electric Yellow's got me by the brain banana!"

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow-Asterisk View Post
          I think Bad Company 2 and BF3 have standard rules regarding how to give SA over voice chat. so that "Hey i just spotted two guys" becomes "Contacts: 2: Construction yard". perhaps we could have a discussion here in the forum for a standard way for comms to give verbal orders.

Something like "I need help in double" becomes "Whole Team: go to double: NOW!" or "Marines in subsector: go to double: NOW" or "Player name: go to double: when you are done killing that res-node" this way it is clear what orders are for who.

we cant enforce this for outside comms and i don't want to cramp anyone's style if they done want to follow. (you would sound more robotic) But i feel like the more authoritative a comm sounds the more their orders will be followed.
          A better way of communicating could help all the parties involved. All I know is that I shoot things that move and nip at ankles. Feel free to come up with a way of addressing people and it might help.
          Lights Out!

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
            I think the problem is that we've been very lax in how we run the server compared to NS1 and many other TG titles. I can recall back in the NS1 days, when the comm said to go somewhere or do something, you did it. If you had an alternate suggestion, you could pose it, but generally you just followed the comm, because if you didnt, you were very likely to get the boot for not following orders. It works the same way in almost every other title TG supports. Hell, I remember times in NS1 where certain commanders would give orders to a team and if they didnt listen, they'd just beacon them back to base, give the order again, and repeat as many times as necessary. 3 becaons was the max I ever saw it get to before people started getting kicked from the server.
            Wyz did this a bunch in the past. Back in the NS1 days the TG server had a ton of smurfs from various clans that would generally not listen to anyone and start giving people crap about giving actual orders in a "non-serious" game. Beacons generally got the point across (and the ones that had a real serious problem with authority left for good), and some of those people even ended up being regulars. I think for TGNS2 to grow, be known and bring in some more strangers to the supporting member side (and I'm not saying this definitively, I haven't been back long enough to make actual decisions or have valid opinions), TGNS2 needs to revert to the tactical aspect that brought me here 10 years ago. Real orders, real teamwork, good camaraderie and professionalism. I'm not saying the server is a pub server by any means, but it is a bit lax compared to the other games here.
            ~Psi~

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow-Asterisk View Post
              I start out saying, "need help at main base", or "need a couple to clear sub-sector" if it's something that I see coming, or something low priority, but anything more and I try to give commands very similar to your examples.
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                I start out saying, "need help at main base", or "need a couple to clear sub-sector" if it's something that I see coming, or something low priority, but anything more and I try to give commands very similar to your examples.
                Though no one listens or the whole team goes ><

I tried following the above and my lack of multitasking didn't do so well though asking snoogs do this or skud do that and it got done. Asking by names seems to work the best.
                Lights Out!

Comment

Even then it's a rough sell sometimes. Also gorges.
                  ~Psi~

Comment

Originally posted by solarity View Post
                    Though no one listens or the whole team goes ><

I tried following the above and my lack of multitasking didn't do so well though asking snoogs do this or skud do that and it got done. Asking by names seems to work the best.
                    I thought you did really well, just cant win em all some time. Was a great round, really close.

As a new NS player, my observation is that oftentimes it isnt that the players dont want to follow CO's orders, its that they just dont notice. I am normally very good about following orders, I will often ask for them if I dont have them. But then I get into a duel with some aliens and the CO's voice gets disregarded because I cant listen and shoot at the same time.

Note, this is MY fault, and I am going to try and compensate by increasing the volume of voice chat so I can always understand it even when I am fighting for my life, I am merely suggesting that this might be the problem for a lot of other people who come across as unwilling to follow orders. Unfortunately there ARE those people out there who listen and understand, but just dont like following orders. I just hope I dont come across as one of them.
                    May you be covered in the dust of your Rabbi.

Comment

I do notice when someone calls my name i leave squirrel world to respond. I just cant talk and do something at the same time
                      Lights Out!

Comment

I see being a comm in this game as being similar to sailing a sailboat. You can have a planned route and might even eventually get there without sinking, but you have to expect to veer off course on your way to your destination, and you have to just do your best to use the direction and force of the wind and currents the best you can, and always try have a backup plan.
                        aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Originally posted by solarity View Post
                          I do notice when someone calls my name i leave squirrel world to respond. I just cant talk and do something at the same time
                          Hey at least you're managing to leave squirrel world, I am still working on that, and in much need of improvement :P Hopefully boosting comms volume will help me with that.
                          May you be covered in the dust of your Rabbi.

Comment

General guidelines I've followed:

Commander (In the chair):
                            Call out names whenever possible.
                            Call out locations if names are too hard while multitasking. ('comp lab to sub sector')
                            If the team is not working together, beacon AND EXPLAIN why you are beaconing.
                            Offer help pointing people in the right direction - not everyone knows how to get where you want them!
                            If players who know what they are doing actively ignore your orders, address them individually.
                            The communications rule usually weeds these players out quickly.

In the field:
                            Report information over calling orders ('Lerk on the phase in data' over 'get to data core its dying').
                            Commander should respond with specific orders like 'reactor turn around and save data, everyone else keep pushing Atrium' or 'Roger. Ignore data'.

#1 thing that bugs the crap out of me, outside and in the chair: Having a field commander contradict the comm. This can be avoided by only communicating information. If you really think people should do something, pose it as a question or report. Do not order other players around. The only 'orders' in the field should be combat priorities ('focus the left crag'). Even these orders can be avoided by changing the wording ('left crag is hurt').

ex:
                            Comm: 'build overlook' <-- order
                            Rine: 'overlook built, moving to sub' <-- report, decision with information
                            Comm: 'negative, overlook to double' <-- order

Comment

Originally posted by micr0c0sm View Post
                              Having a field commander contradict the comm
                              One of those thing that I rather perfer when it done right personally. The commander might be able to know everything on the map, but if he is focused somewere else for a while, having a feild commander take over can be very useful and a lot more direct to were the marines are right then. People tend to react faster when they see the person talking to them is in the same room.

Even more so on Aliens as I can focus on getting upgrades and expanding and less on trying to herd what varies from sheep to cats. It just finding a good one can be very hard to do, but when you find one, it like a little miracle right from heaven.
                              Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X