No announcement yet.

Network lag to server?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network lag to server?

Anyone else getting bad latency starting about a week ago?

It's not all the time, but when I started playing NS2 with TG, I was averaging 60ms most of the time.

Lately, my latency hangs out in the 130-150ms range, but usually only when the server is more full; or perhaps more accurately, peak traffic times.

I ran speedtests and such, but my connection doesnt' seem to have changed, and I try to ensure no other bandwith hog apps are running.

It's not 100% but my tracert makes it look like the hosting company may have some 'splainin to do:

6    23 ms    28 ms    27 ms []
      7    26 ms    26 ms    23 ms []
      8    52 ms    50 ms    53 ms []
      9    34 ms    32 ms    34 ms []
     10    66 ms    51 ms    54 ms []
     11   139 ms   140 ms   153 ms []
     12    83 ms    75 ms    76 ms
    Trace complete.
      6    21 ms    23 ms    26 ms []
      7    31 ms    26 ms    48 ms []
      8    58 ms    68 ms    59 ms []
      9    31 ms    32 ms    36 ms []
     10    51 ms    46 ms    55 ms []
     11   149 ms   149 ms   146 ms []
     12   131 ms   128 ms   133 ms
    Trace complete.
    I sometimes see other players on the scoreboard will spike simultaneously, but generally don't seem to seem to have prolonged issues.

Anyone else experiencing similar?

Re: Network lag to server?

Next time you play try running so you can see a graph of the traceroute and tell where the spikes/lost packets etc are happening and when.

IIRC, I first heard about that program from Wyz years ago when there were similar issues on the TGNS 1 server and have used and recommended it ever since.
    aka Roland tHTG

Nice! ya i remember this one; hadn't had a need for it in a long time. I'm running some samples now, but it's averaging at 30 ms.

I'll try it again later tonight and we'll see how it looks.

Please tell me what this means:

I guess LionLink is hosting our server, not Level3? Level3 is a big tube provider?
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

****ing Level 3. Thank goodness for forum language filters, I guess. I typically don't need them, but.... ****ing Level 3!

The disdain I feel just seeing that screenshot is all Level 3's fault. Level 3 years ago destroyed my gaming situation for months. Packet loss everywhere. My ISP and our game server provider tried to help at the time, but they were powerless.

<3 PingPlotter
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Quick someone hold Wyz back!
            Lights Out!

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed