Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would NS2 TG out reach be a good or bad idea?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would NS2 TG out reach be a good or bad idea?

I noticed a few of the people I started playing with and befriended before I joined TG are now supporting members here. They to have brought a few people they befriended here that are now supporting members as well. I am curious if a couple of us should join a different server and bring that TG spirit with us to other servers to see if we can bring some more cooperative and skilled players to our servers. We could let them sample some of the drug TG for free and if they get hooked we got them for life =)

Granted there are some negative effects if we do this wrong. We can't openly recruit, though people who friend us in game could follow us just as some of my pre-TG buddies followed me. Advertising on other servers would also be discouraged as we are looking for people who enjoy playing with us and want to come to TG. We also don't want to advertise as we don't want to piss off the people on other servers.

What do you guys think?

-Solarity
    Lights Out!

Re: Would NS2 TG out reach be a good or bad idea?

Making it a thing usually goes poorly. The best way to 'advertise' TG on other servers is just to tag up with [TG]. Going to other servers with hopes of recruiting good players to TG is mean to other servers.

Comment

Micro is pretty much right. I'll expand on it a bit. First, a bit of backstory:
      I've been gaming for eons. My serious online gaming career started with Mechwarrior 2 over KALI, which is a dialup system so old that it probably outdates several people in this community. I continued on and was lucky enough to live down the hall from one of the original mappers for counter-strike when I was a freshman in college. I picked up CS back when there was still a crowbar instead of a knife. I played that, TFC, and a multitude of other games for YEARS. One day, somewhere around 2003ish, I found NS. I played with several clans and smaller communities, but the well appeared to be drying up and the server for the community I was playing at was closing its doors. Luckily, a couple people from that community had discovered TG's NS server and suggested that we start playing here. So we did.

After a single game, I was hooked. I started actively participating at TG to such a degree that I ditched my old moniker and Ferris Bueller was born from the brain of our NS community! I've been an active member of the community ever since, doing everything from being a player, an admin, forum moderator, IHS member and leader, tester, moderator, ribbons designer, and site officer. Why? Because I love this place and I believe in it wholly.

But from my past experiences, I have seen the outreach thing go very different directions. In some cases, it is seen as recruiting, especially if the outreach invites people to come play on our servers directly. In others, it goes just fine. That is why we have some guidelines we try to follow as far as what we do and dont do for bringing people here. Now, none of these are ironclad (with a single exception that I'll get to shortly), but they do matter:
      If you're going to go play on other servers with the intent of trying to enlarge our community, go for it. But do it right. Put on a TG tag (and the current proper format is to use |TG|) and go play on other servers. If people ask questions about the community, feel free to answer them, but DO NOT advertise our server in chat unsolicited. Let your actions speak for themselves. Speaking of which, thats the exception I was referring to: If you put on a TG tag, you are REQUIRED to act as a representative of this community by playing to the same standard and keeping the same level of maturity that is required of you on our own servers. If you get caught breaking that mandate on another server while sporting a TG tag, you WILL be subject to the same punishment as you'd receive here. Sounds harsh, but if we're trying to convey a positive message, thats what we need to do.

As far as finding us, if we put ourselves out there and show everyone the way we do business, people will ask questions or they'll search us out. We're not hard to find, trust me.

But on the whole, you're absolutely spot on solarity. If you want to gather some people up and go pub-raiding, by all means, do so!

Comment

I've done this before. I used to play elsewhere, make friends, and ask their permission to add them to my Steam Friends. Once done, I'd solicit them there. Other servers didn't tolerate external recruiters (I didn't mention TG on their server, privately or otherwise), I made a friend, and everyone's happy.

Imagine someone wandering into our server and evangelizing for their fantastic community. Now take your reaction and decide if you want to plant that feeling into another server's manager/member/regular/etc.

Accepting that maybe ALWAYS more is better, I have to say that we have a VERY healthy recruitment at the moment.

The admins are at their best when our efforts create positive results without most even realizing our design is in play, and I think our reserved slot logic is currently an example of that. You guys are recruiting for hours every night -- WITH RESULTS -- merely by being active community members who exemplify TG ideals in your own gameplay.

The full server lets Primer signers bump strangers UNTIL there are only a small handful of strangers left, at which point those strangers can't get kicked by anyone except an SM (SMs are never denied entry to the server). This design means that a small handful of strangers spend hours on the server each night -- every night -- seeing our server at its best. And that environment is responsible for several of our new regulars becoming so.

So continue playing your best each night, being nice to new people, and inviting them to return. If you want to recruit beyond that, use the guidance in this thread. If you don't do more than that, know that you're doing a lot already.
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I agree with the previous posts. I'm here (and have steam friends from about the time dual core cpus were introduced) purely as a result of joining a random NS server years ago and being impressed with the teamwork and communication I found.

I'm also very vocal to friends of NS2 from previous communities about the gameplay and cooperation found here.
          aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Pretty much everyone agrees with what I posted, no advertising. Just tag up and play on a couple other servers and I seldom "Friend" people, they usually add me first (shy in sense). So basically a few people put TG tag on and play on a different server and see if anyone wants to join us, we don't advertise we just put our name out there by our Tag and play like we are on TG.
            Lights Out!

Comment

My take...

We don't allow external recruiting on our servers... I won't do it to other communities. I've brought friends into the TG fold, but it was never through active recruitment. I prefer the average player find our server by chance, love it, and keep coming back. I've seen what recruitment in online gaming looks like, and what it does with other communities, and it really can turn servers upside down.
              Skud

Comment

I guess I might have not properly conveyed what I was saying, no pouching just lead by example and if they want to friend us and join our server then lets welcome them. All we have to do is put TG tag on with 3-4 of us go onto a different server and not all join the same team. Again I am saying a very modest approach, I think going onto someone's server and saying join our server is wrong IMHO. Again I am advocating out reach and NOT recruiting. Also it helps us learn what is going on other servers, new tactics and approaches. If we all keep playing together then we will start playing like each other naturally adapting to what works for other players. If people want to help, but not follow these guidelines, I am not interested.
                Lights Out!

Comment

You're both right. Carry on as planned Solarity.

Comment

If you want a few friends to play on other servers together with, go for it. In general, steam is really good for this. You add to friends people you like playing with, no matter what server you discovered them on. Then when you play they end up joining the servers you are on, or vice versa.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X